The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by Caravan_Palace
Oh, my bad my bad. I was reading while running so misread that terribly. It is unfortunate that they don't consider experience so early on but it does have pros as well as cons. It's annoying that someone with experiences in the field gets rejected via tests, but it's a pro since someone with no experience can show that they are capable. I suppose it's one of those catch 22 moments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. It must be frustrating for those who have really relevant experience but a much bigger issue more widely with any good job out there is that it's so difficult to get your foot through the door. So I really like competencies because they give everyone a more equal chance.

That said, I applied for an AO level job at the civil service and in my interview I gave an example of 'Delivering at Pace' using my final year of university balanced alongside work and volunteering, managing deadlines etc. Then he asked me if I had an example purely from a work environment! Which to me defeats the object.

Anyway - I'm applying this year, have done so before but failed on the e-tray. I'm really glad the process is different this year I think it gives much more scope to show the best of what you can do.
Gas anyone applied to schemes like commercial/finance and also the generalist scheme? No idea why i didnt think to add the generalist scheme into my choices. Completely pointless as would of simply improved chances of getting a place on fs, and a shorter process!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 762
Hi, just wanted to check if anyone had actually received the results of their E-Tray test yet?

Also I'm now slightly paranoid that mine didn't register properly at the end of the test, after reading some previous posts. What's the best option to get a quick answer from them?
Original post by Latc22
Hi, just wanted to check if anyone had actually received the results of their E-Tray test yet?

Also I'm now slightly paranoid that mine didn't register properly at the end of the test, after reading some previous posts. What's the best option to get a quick answer from them?

We won't be hearing back until the middle of November at the earliest from what I've asked them. They're actually going to my uni tomorrow so I'm going to be bombarding them with questions haha. If you believe they didn't register, email them at [email protected] and see what they say; it took about 24 hours for them to get back to me.
Going to he hugely frustrating if the minimum score is met for the generalist nut jot for the conmercial streams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We won't be hearing back until the middle of November at the earliest from what I've asked them. They're actually going to my uni tomorrow so I'm going to be bombarding them with questions haha. If you believe they didn't register, email them at [email protected] and see what they say; it took about 24 hours for them to get back to me.

The face book update say they're releasing some results this week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Latc22

I was the same. Just call them up and they should be able to tell you if they have recieved confirmed responses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 767
I emailed. Had a response within 10 mins, very efficient. All fine. Now I can get back to waiting for the results.
Original post by gingerwizard

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's just the Behavioural and SJT. They confirmed on the facebook page that the E-tray results won't be released until sometime in mid-November.

I can sympathize with everyone. The wait is agonizing...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I saw that. Some of the comments asked to specify if they'd include the E-Tray, and they linked the FAQ which have mid-November. But I'd be happier if they'd be released this week, less waiting. 😁
Just completed the e-tray. What an earth was that! SO difficult
Is the etray specific to your first choice of scheme? For example, having applied for the Parliament one, would the emails be about parliamentary procedure?
Original post by geoglove23
Is the etray specific to your first choice of scheme? For example, having applied for the Parliament one, would the emails be about parliamentary procedure?

No it's one E-Tray for everybody!
Original post by whyamianadult
No it's one E-Tray for everybody!

Thank you for your reply, I was worried I would have to research specifics! From now reading other comments on this thread, I get the impression the Service wants to test your skills. I wanted to double check though. Thanks
I talked to the recruitment officers at my careers fair today; they repeated the same that results will come out in the middle of the month, so in about two weeks. The wait is killing me but I do hope it's worth it. I did my 2nd E-Tray yesterday since it crashed the first time. Very similar scenario, I ended up finishing with 15 minutes to spare as opposed to the few minutes I had the first time. I'll probably punch myself in the face if I don't get through with the two chances I've been given.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I talked to the recruitment officers at my careers fair today; they repeated the same that results will come out in the middle of the month, so in about two weeks. The wait is killing me but I do hope it's worth it. I did my 2nd E-Tray yesterday since it crashed the first time. Very similar scenario, I ended up finishing with 15 minutes to spare as opposed to the few minutes I had the first time. I'll probably punch myself in the face if I don't get through with the two chances I've been given.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Prime example of people having an advantage by retaking it and as expected the scenario was of insignificant difference as opposed to substantially different like has been claimed.
Prime example of people having an advantage by retaking it and as expected the scenario was of insignificant difference as opposed to substantially different like has been claimed.

While I agree that there's an advantage to being able to do it twice, there's also the problem of maybe remembering pieces of data from the last time you did it and using them. I don't know how they could have made it fair really in this case, other than to have reliable servers

So what is the alternative though? People to be detrimented and unable to progress further because their assessment exercise crashed?

I will not deny it, I certainly did gain an advantage since I remembered a lot of the information from the first time. Either they have marked us out as having a second attempt and will mark us to a higher standard which I think is the fair thing to do, or they'll lump us in with everyone else, which only makes it harder to pass. I would have thought that they would have had another test as backup but I guess not.
Hello, does anyone know how long it's taking or likely to take to get the e-tray results?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending