The Student Room Group

Open University to Leeds Beckett

I just started a degree in criminology and psychology with The Open University in October this year. And have decided that under no circumstances do I want to take 6 years to do a degree and i've decided to go full time. I hav already started my first module which I think finishes in June. So that means that am gonna have to start me second module in January which ends in September because I only picked one module for October start date

Now I have decided to go full time and transfer next year to Leeds Beckett because I don't want to do a degree that's going to take 4 years full time. My only problem is that my course finishes in September and Leeds Beckett start in September and I don't know if they will accept me because I have not competed a full 120 credits

The module am currently studying a 60 credits and the one I want to do starting in January is also 60 credits

Will they accept me not finishing the full 120 credits? And is there a January start date for Leeds Beckett?
Reply 1
Original post by oneofthegirls
I just started a degree in criminology and psychology with The Open University in October this year. And have decided that under no circumstances do I want to take 6 years to do a degree and i've decided to go full time. I hav already started my first module which I think finishes in June. So that means that am gonna have to start me second module in January which ends in September because I only picked one module for October start date

Now I have decided to go full time and transfer next year to Leeds Beckett because I don't want to do a degree that's going to take 4 years full time. My only problem is that my course finishes in September and Leeds Beckett start in September and I don't know if they will accept me because I have not competed a full 120 credits

The module am currently studying a 60 credits and the one I want to do starting in January is also 60 credits

Will they accept me not finishing the full 120 credits? And is there a January start date for Leeds Beckett?

If you're intending to transfer to the 2nd year then you will need to finish the full 120 credits before starting. If you're intending to start again from 1st year then they may be able to accept you without finishing.
Have you asked Leeds Beckett if they will accept an OU transfer student into the second year? It is by no means certain that they will, especially as your first year OU modules have very little criminology content. Ask and see what they say, if they say you can transfer then you will need to have finished your OU modules (and received your marks, which often don't come in until 2 months after the module ends) before you can enrol onto Leeds' degree. If your second module ends in September 2017 then you almost certainly will have to wait until 2018 to transfer, Leeds Beckett does not do January start dates.

Leeds Beckett doesn't have a joint honours Criminology and Psychology degree - they have a degree in Criminology with psychology as a minor subject, so if you are particularly interested in psychology, it might be worth staying with the OU or looking for other universities to transfer into.

If you really want to go to Leeds Beckett then ask them if they'd accept 60 credits for entry into the first year of the degree, that way you can apply this year.
Original post by Juno
If you're intending to transfer to the 2nd year then you will need to finish the full 120 credits before starting. If you're intending to start again from 1st year then they may be able to accept you without finishing.

Incorrect.

One of my final OU BSc grades does not come out till later this month - and I am now on a Masters course. They said as long as I have my BSc certificate by the time they are awarding the MSc then its fine.

I explained this fully to the admissions tutor and I went through the course leader (got his email of uni website) when applying.

From your point of view, as long as you have adequate knowledge and results pending majority of uni's wont care, if you explain the situation in full and not over complicate it for them you should be fine. OU results from september exams are usually published in late October, Universities have like a registration period where not a lot happens in the first few weeks of October anyhow.

Also - Your not the ideal candidate from their point of view, so you better write a good personal statement to sell yourself. And make sure you start emailing the tutor / course leader early as possible. They have people drop out from year 1 all the time, so it stands to their benefit to get another student onto year 2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Davidswift9
Incorrect.

One of my final OU BSc grades does not come out till later this month - and I am now on a Masters course. They said as long as I have my BSc certificate by the time they are awarding the MSc then its fine.

I explained this fully to the admissions tutor and I went through the course leader (got his email of uni website) when applying.

From your point of view, as long as you have adequate knowledge and results pending majority of uni's wont care, if you explain the situation in full and not over complicate it for them you should be fine. OU results from september exams are usually published in late October, Universities have like a registration period where not a lot happens in the first few weeks of October anyhow.

Also - Your not the ideal candidate from their point of view, so you better write a good personal statement to sell yourself. And make sure you start emailing the tutor / course leader early as possible. They have people drop out from year 1 all the time, so it stands to their benefit to get another student onto year 2.

Right, so you've found one uni and one admissions tutor for a completely different scenario and decided I'm wrong :beard:
Original post by Juno
Right, so you've found one uni and one admissions tutor for a completely different scenario and decided I'm wrong :beard:

Not quite. When I applied I looked closely at the university regulations, some institutions have regulations that are really strict and some aren't. I had discussions with the tutors, course leaders from different universities and know there is a lot of scope if they know your keen and have results pending.

You just flat out saying it cant be done is false, you posted no experience of doing something like this and you should really think before posting advice.
Reply 6
Original post by Davidswift9
Not quite. When I applied I looked closely at the university regulations, some institutions have regulations that are really strict and some aren't. I had discussions with the tutors, course leaders from different universities and know there is a lot of scope if they know your keen and have results pending.

You just flat out saying it cant be done is false, you posted no experience of doing something like this and you should really think before posting advice.

But you're doing a Masters, and they're looking at transferring midway through a degree. So you're doing something completely different, and therefore irrelevant.
Thread starter, ignore the troll in this topic giving false information. The answer is it can be done if you have results coming in October, whether your specific institution of choice will allow it is another thing. When you contact them, you should phrase your email carefully because excuse my rudeness ... sometimes you can get people responding who aren't quite sure what you are asking especially when explaining open university setup. When I was communicating this to admissions departments, some just were too busy to even care because it was probably not straight forward and more work for them, thats why I went straight to course leaders and had more success.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending