The Student Room Group

'Mature student' Please help!!

Hey guys

I am 27 and have been at college for two years in order to gain entry requirements for university. I am going to be applying for History and social sciences as a back up.

I have no idea how to even start my personal statement. Does anyone have any information on how I should structure it or things I should include or stay clear of?

I am so nervous about this as I have been working so hard in order to gain entry requirements I don't want to waste my chance by messing up my personal statement.

Thanks xxx
para 1: why you want to study the course

para 2: how your studies have been relevant and lead you to want to study this course

para 3: work experience/ extra-(relevant)-curricular activities

para 4: hobbies, interests

para 5: tie everything together, last time to shine and make your university choices want you - show your passions!
Reply 2
Original post by Willans7
Hey guys

I am 27 and have been at college for two years in order to gain entry requirements for university. I am going to be applying for History and social sciences as a back up.

I have no idea how to even start my personal statement. Does anyone have any information on how I should structure it or things I should include or stay clear of?

I am so nervous about this as I have been working so hard in order to gain entry requirements I don't want to waste my chance by messing up my personal statement.

Thanks xxx

There's loads of advice on writing your PS on TSR..

The main thing is to stay calm. It will take a lot of time to write, and you will do many drafts. The opening sentence is usually the hardest, so start somewhere else and don't expect to be perfect straight away. You might even find it easier to write bullet points or a mind map initially.

Unis want to know why you want to study the subject. 70% of your PS should focus on this. You don't need to talk about previous studies too much, as you're listing that in the education section - you don't have time to repeat yourself or be generic. You can talk about topics you've studied and enjoyed, or things you're looking forward to studying. But don't just say what subjects you've done and then try to list why this is relevant, as unis already know.

Once you've finished your PS you can get a free review on TSR. Priority is given to active users who have 100 posts on the forum. To use the service you make a thread here. It's a private forum, so nobody can see your thread except the PS Reviewers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending