The Student Room Group

First Uni Shopping List

Hi guys.

I'm going to Uni next year (Hopefully!!) and I'm starting to think of the practical life of being a student. The living by myself part and the independent living part.

Starting with the Shopping.

What did you get on your first ever shop when you started Uni? You've got to uni, you've unpacked your room, you go to the shop. What did you buy?

I'm Vegan as well so if you've got a Vegan shopping list that would be great, or example of things. Whatever. Just basics that a first Uni Student shop would include?

I'm hopefully going to Lincoln as well if anyone's got and info on food you can get etc. What Uni's are you all at?

Thank you :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: D :biggrin:
Loo rolls.
Washing up liquid.
Tea bags or decent instant coffee.
Contraception.
Paracetamol.
Plasters.

These might seem an odd selection of items, but you'll soon see their value.
Original post by 96Popcorn
Hi guys.

I'm going to Uni next year (Hopefully!!) and I'm starting to think of the practical life of being a student. The living by myself part and the independent living part.

What did you get on your first ever shop when you started Uni? You've got to uni, you've unpacked your room, you go to the shop. What did you buy?

I'm Vegan as well so if you've got a Vegan shopping list that would be great, or example of things. Whatever. Just basics that a first Uni Student shop would include?

I'm hopefully going to Lincoln as well if anyone's got and info on food you can get etc. What Uni's are you all at?

Large packs of rice and pasta are so worth it. If you can, get the 5kg bags-they're really good value as they last for ages and go with so many dishes.
Reply 3
Original post by 96Popcorn
Hi guys.

Massive pack of toilet roll (even if your accommodation provides toilet roll there will be times we you will run out or the cleaner doesn't come for 2 weeks)
Big bags of pasta & rice, Pasta sauces, Loads of sweetcorn, Frozen veg (broccoli, cauliflower, green beans), baking potatoes, cheese (it is crazy how expensive cheese is), Ibuprofen, Tea towel, Hand soap, Air freshener, Alcohol, Butter, Oil, Condiments, Washing powder/tablets
Stuff that keeps - such as tins and packets. Buy in bulk (if you have the space.
Reply 5
Original post by KaylaB
Massive pack of toilet roll (even if your accommodation provides toilet roll there will be times we you will run out or the cleaner doesn't come for 2 weeks)
Big bags of pasta & rice, Pasta sauces, Loads of sweetcorn, Frozen veg (broccoli, cauliflower, green beans), baking potatoes, cheese (it is crazy how expensive cheese is), Ibuprofen, Tea towel, Hand soap, Air freshener, Alcohol, Butter, Oil, Condiments, Washing powder/tablets

Thank you! Really Helped :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Loo rolls.
Washing up liquid.
Tea bags or decent instant coffee.
Contraception.
Paracetamol.
Plasters.

These might seem an odd selection of items, but you'll soon see their value.

I Can already see the benefits! Haha! Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by Tiger Rag
Stuff that keeps - such as tins and packets. Buy in bulk (if you have the space.

Brill thanks
Reply 8
Original post by super_kawaii
Large packs of rice and pasta are so worth it. If you can, get the 5kg bags-they're really good value as they last for ages and go with so many dishes.

Awesome, Thank you!
For your first shop:
- toiletries
- toilet roll
- cleaning supplies
- any kitchen equipment you don't own
- alcohol if you drink
- sweets/chocolate/baking supplies to share something with your flatmates
- herbs/spices you commonly use
- some form of oil to cook with
- big bag of pasta/rice/noodles/any other carbs you eat a lot of
- any sauces/condiments you use