The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by michaela__
Do you have two weeks WE in a dentist place? If that's not the reason then I'm confused as to what was wrong with your PS?
Posted from TSR Mobile

On my PS I said that i shadowed dentists in various placements in India and England, and mentioned work experience in a dental laboratory and a hospital but i didnt explicitly say I did 2 weeks, I didn't think we would need to specifically say how long we shadowed dentists for, so i have no idea
Original post by aamin96
On my PS I said that i shadowed dentists in various placements in India and England, and mentioned work experience in a dental laboratory and a hospital but i didnt explicitly say I did 2 weeks, I didn't think we would need to specifically say how long we shadowed dentists for, so i have no idea

Ring up and ask if that's the reason you got rejected as surely they could undo that if you do actually meet the requirements? I'm sure your PS would have been somewhat decent and reflective so hopefully it's not about your PS as a whole. I don't know much about dentistry but I just had a look on the Manchester page for it as I'm actually really sad for you about being rejected so soon :frown: hopefully you can get it sorted out if its something within your control!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aamin96
I just got rejected by Manchester through ucas it said "your personal statement does not reflect the requirements for this course" it's pretty early do they even have our ukcat results

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so sorry the must be awful. :frown: Fingers crossed your other choices get back with better news. And yes UKCAT results get sent to unis in the first week of November. Is dentistry or medicine you've applied for?
Original post by crystalni
That's even stranger then if dentistry doesn't require the form... Why don't you check your PS on Track, have a read through it and look for anything weird maybe? I don't see how else you could get such a swift rejection when they might not even have received UKCAT scores yet :s-smilie:

Yeah im honestly so confused i read through it and looked at their website and i seem to have covered everything, i emailed their admissions team so hopefully they get back to me quickly
Original post by aamin96

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/dentistry/study/undergraduate/dentistry-bds/?pg=3 check the work experience entry requirements? Maybe you do need to clarify it with them? I'm not sure :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aamin96
Yeah im honestly so confused i read through it and looked at their website and i seem to have covered everything, i emailed their admissions team so hopefully they get back to me quickly

That really sucks... Best of luck, I really hope you figure it out!
Original post by aamin96

I didn't even realise they could reject people so quickly and stuff, it's terrifying, check your other uni requirements as well to see whether you need to clarify your WE to them as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ring up and ask if that's the reason you got rejected as surely they could undo that if you do actually meet the requirements? I'm sure your PS would have been somewhat decent and reflective so hopefully it's not about your PS as a whole. I don't know much about dentistry but I just had a look on the Manchester page for it as I'm actually really sad for you about being rejected so soon :frown: hopefully you can get it sorted out if its something within your control!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I just called them up and she said you'll have to email the admissions team, i told her the email said my PS didn't meet their requirements and lady said we'll give you feedback on your PS and how it ranked compared with other applicants, they also said they received UKCAT results today
Original post by Nuba123
I'm so sorry the must be awful. :frown: Fingers crossed your other choices get back with better news. And yes UKCAT results get sent to unis in the first week of November. Is dentistry or medicine you've applied for?

thanks, it was dentistry
Original post by aamin96

Just checked their website and here's what I've found: "A minimum of 2 weeks shadowing a General Dental Practitioner is required prior to application. UK applicants must complete this in the UK in either NHS or Private practices and must have taken place within the last two years."
"You must have observed a dentist at work before applying. This must be a general dental practitioner, as this is the role that most students fulfil on graduation. This must have taken place within the last two years. You must undertake a minimum of two weeks' work experience in a general dental practice. The personal statement must be specific about the duration. It is not necessary to have fulfilled the role of a dental nurse."
I think you weren't specific enough :frown:
https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/dentistry/study/undergraduate/dentistry-bds/?pg=3 check the work experience entry requirements? Maybe you do need to clarify it with them? I'm not sure :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, yeah i checked, hope that wasnt the case that would be a shi*ty way to get rejected
Original post by aamin96
Thanks, yeah i checked, hope that wasnt the case that would be a shi*ty way to get rejected

"You must have observed a dentist at work before applying. This must be a general dental practitioner, as this is the role that most students fulfil on graduation. This must have taken place within the last two years. You must undertake a minimum of two weeks' work experience in a general dental practice. The personal statement must be specific about the duration. It is not necessary to have fulfilled the role of a dental nurse."

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/dentistry/study/undergraduate/dentistry-bds/?pg=4#course

"On my PS I said that i shadowed dentists in various placements in India and England, and mentioned work experience in a dental laboratory and a hospital but i didnt explicitly say I did 2 weeks, I didn't think we would need to specifically say how long we shadowed dentists for, so i have no idea"

I think this is why you were rejected :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nuba123
Just checked their website and here's what I've found: "A minimum of 2 weeks shadowing a General Dental Practitioner is required prior to application. UK applicants must complete this in the UK in either NHS or Private practices and must have taken place within the last two years."
I think you weren't specific enough :frown:

Ahh sh*t that's an awful way to get rejected I actually really liked Manchester as well. Damn. Thanks for clearing it up for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carbon_

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/dentistry/study/undergraduate/dentistry-bds/?pg=4#course

"On my PS I said that i shadowed dentists in various placements in India and England, and mentioned work experience in a dental laboratory and a hospital but i didnt explicitly say I did 2 weeks, I didn't think we would need to specifically say how long we shadowed dentists for, so i have no idea"

I think this is why you were rejected :frown:

Yep that's horrible can't believe they rejected me for that it's ridiculous, shouldve mentioned it :frown: thanks for the help though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aamin96
I just called them up and she said you'll have to email the admissions team, i told her the email said my PS didn't meet their requirements and lady said we'll give you feedback on your PS and how it ranked compared with other applicants, they also said they received UKCAT results today

Did you do two weeks in the UK then with a general dentist? Hopefully if you have then they can have a look at you again :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you do two weeks in the UK then with a general dentist? Hopefully if you have then they can have a look at you again :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've done 2 weeks in a private and nhs clinic in the UK I can get evidence as well, shall I wait for the admissions to e-mail me back then tell them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aamin96
Yeah I've done 2 weeks in a private and nhs clinic in the UK I can get evidence as well, shall I wait for the admissions to e-mail me back then tell them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Email that to them, you may as well as it'll save time if they ask you that question as well. Fingers crossed for you! Hopefully they are lenient and let you back in. Did you check your other 3 uni's as well, do they need you to be specific?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aamin96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont wait call them back up and tell them. you will be waiting days if not weeks for admissions to email back as they will be backlogged at this time.

Just explain calmly over the phone that you were never aware that explicit dates had to be put on the personal statement, and that if the information was provided you would have included it, and say you can get written confirmation of this two weeks of work experience if needed.
Email that to them, you may as well as it'll save time if they ask you that question as well. Fingers crossed for you! Hopefully they are lenient and let you back in. Did you check your other 3 uni's as well, do they need you to be specific?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I'll email them again then telling them about this the other 3 unis dont need you to specifcially say

Original post by Natalierm2707
Dont wait call them back up and tell them. you will be waiting days if not weeks for admissions to email back as they will be backlogged at this time.

Just explain calmly over the phone that you were never aware that explicit dates had to be put on the personal statement, and that if the information was provided you would have included it, and say you can get written confirmation of this two weeks of work experience if needed.

Yeah i'll call them up tomorrow then hopefully they are lenient
(edited 7 years ago)
So they received UKCAT results today then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending