The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gavinlowe
Close, but not quite right.

We use a "provisional shortlisting indicator" (PSI), which is a linear combination of the MAT score and the proportion of A*s at GCSE. A threshold is then set such that everyone with a PSI above that threshold is shortlisted by default. A college may choose to go against that default, but must justify their decisions; this happens rarely, e.g. when a candidate has already done part of a degree, so could have been expected to get a higher mark.

There's a second, lower, threshold: everyone below that lower threshold is, by default, not shortlisted; again colleges can go against the default. We look carefully at candidates between the two thresholds, particularly taking contextual information into account. We use our academic judgement as to whom to interview.

Last year, every Computer Science candidate with a MAT score of at least 62 was interviewed.

Gavin

pm me so we can discuss bribery? :wink: this is a joke
(edited 7 years ago)
Perhaps A*A*DD
Reply 962

We use a "provisional shortlisting indicator" (PSI), which is a linear combination of the MAT score and the proportion of A*s at GCSE.

Gavin

My school prioritised the number of GCSEs rather than number of A*s - is that going to affect my PSI negatively? (I got 6 A*s out of 15 at GCSE level) :/

We use a "provisional shortlisting indicator" (PSI), which is a linear combination of the MAT score and the proportion of A*s at GCSE. A threshold is then set such that everyone with a PSI above that threshold is shortlisted by default. A college may choose to go against that default, but must justify their decisions; this happens rarely, e.g. when a candidate has already done part of a degree, so could have been expected to get a higher mark.

There's a second, lower, threshold: everyone below that lower threshold is, by default, not shortlisted; again colleges can go against the default. We look carefully at candidates between the two thresholds, particularly taking contextual information into account. We use our academic judgement as to whom to interview.

Last year, every Computer Science candidate with a MAT score of at least 62 was interviewed.

Gavin

I only got 2 A* at GCSE (and 4 As)....does this mean I need a much higher MAT score to get shortlisted?
Original post by alexhazmat
I only got 2 A* at GCSE (and 4 As)....does this mean I need a much higher MAT score to get shortlisted?

As far as I interpret it you need a much higher MAT score to be automatically shortlisted. Might be wrong though, best of luck
Could someone explain how the marking works for the multiple choice? Say I do a lot of work the questions, do everything nicely but mess up a sign somewhere or something. Do they look at the rough writing and what kinds of marks could that get? Thanks in advance!

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW, EVERYONE!
Original post by denkata
Could someone explain how the marking works for the multiple choice? Say I do a lot of work the questions, do everything nicely but mess up a sign somewhere or something. Do they look at the rough writing and what kinds of marks could that get? Thanks in advance!

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW, EVERYONE!

correct answer only, anything else gets 0 marks
Original post by KloppOClock
correct answer only, anything else gets 0 marks

That's sad. Oh, well...

Good luck!
Hi guys!

Just a reminder that as this test is tomorrow, we will not be allowing discussion of specific questions from between 9:00 GMT on Wednesday 2 November until 17:00 GMT on Thursday 3 November. This is so we can make sure there is no cheating or sharing of questions.

This does not mean there can be no discussion however! It's okay to talk about having just sat the exam, or whether or not you found it difficult. What is not okay is giving away any information that might cause one student to have an unfair advantage over another. For example:

"I just sat the MAT and it was so stressful! There's just so little time to do everything!" is okay.

"I found question 2 really hard" or "The question about strain gauges was hard" is not okay.

"How did everyone else find the exam?" is okay.

"What did everyone else put for question 2?" is not.

We'll be keeping an eye on discussion over the next couple of days, and anyone found trying to bypass these restrictions will receive a warning, and may be banned from the site.

[scroll] Good luck to all those taking the exam! [/scroll]
GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW EVERYONE!!!

I'm literally *****ing myself tbh
Original post by Strom
GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW EVERYONE!!!

I'm literally *****ing myself tbh

SO AM I?!!!
Original post by Insecure
Yup. I have b, b, d, a, c, c, d, c, b, a.
I also got this, although I can't say I spent much time going through them.
Original post by DFranklin
I also got this, although I can't say I spent much time going through them.

Hey do you mind explaining Q3 ii 2007 please? I get that its a right angled triangle with sides 1,1 rt2 but i dont get what they do aftee that....
Is there an algebraic way to work out "how many regions will the plane be divided into with these equations..." questions? I can find the points of intersection and do a rough sketch but 2015 Question 1I was particularly nasty because it seems they chose something where a rough sketch gives you the wrong answer on purpose. I'm not very good at visualisation so is there some kind of formula relating to the number of points where curves touch and number where they go over each other?
Original post by theaverage
SO AM I?!!!

Glad im not the only one :smile: Not sure if i should be doing work this evening or just relaxing...
Original post by Strom
Glad im not the only one :smile: Not sure if i should be doing work this evening or just relaxing...

I mean everyone is different but if you feel like you have are ready/prepared then I would have a break.
Reply 976
Original post by denkata
Could someone explain how the marking works for the multiple choice? Say I do a lot of work the questions, do everything nicely but mess up a sign somewhere or something. Do they look at the rough writing and what kinds of marks could that get?

When it comes to the marking then it's simply 0 or 4 depending on whether you got the right answer. But tutors looks at scripts, especially of borderline applicants, so the sort of reasoning you've described might sway a tutor to interview a borderline candidate.
Original post by Zacken
How would you argue it's neither?

I personally wouldn't but I guess (?) you could say it's just a bunch of ones? Not something i'd personally agree with but I can see where someone could come from with that.
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
Is there an algebraic way to work out "how many regions will the plane be divided into with these equations..." questions? I can find the points of intersection and do a rough sketch but 2015 Question 1I was particularly nasty because it seems they chose something where a rough sketch gives you the wrong answer on purpose. I'm not very good at visualisation so is there some kind of formula relating to the number of points where curves touch and number where they go over each other?
If you know where the curves intersect, that will give you a pretty good idea, but of course you don't always know where the curves intersect. (In this case, it's pretty clear that realising all 3 curves intersect at (1,1) was pretty important in terms of getting the right answer).

Other than that, not too much.

I think I'd say that I thought it was fairly obvious it would behave as they describe in the answer; although they imply many were mislead by rouch sketches, I'm not sure it was supposed to be horrendously tricky.
Original post by Strom

Don't do work boi

Latest

Trending

Trending