The Student Room Group

How long did it take you to get settled into sixth form?

Hi, i started a new sixth form college in September and i've been here half a term.. today's my last day of my half term holidays. Anyway, i've just been struggling so much. The workload has been crazy and i haven't had a chance to breathe over the past few weeks.. i've been working fairly consistently over half term but i've all been trying to relax and enjoy myself too-but i'm still quite behind. I live far away too so i have over 2 hours travelling everyday which really tires me, and i also have to wake up early. It's been really hard to make friends too since most people already know lots of people from their old school, because they live nearby, and i'm also a shy person. I've made some friends but i still feel lonely, and i really miss my old school and friends and i really want to go back to my old's school sixth form. But that would probably be stupid since my old school is in special measures and the sixth form is one of the best in Yorkshire and the teaching here is better, plus it's probably too late. However, apart from relaxing i don't really get time for other things i want to do like sport or DoFE.. i haven't worked out since summer because things have been so hectic and tiring. I also want to work experience or to volunteer but at the moment i'm struggling to even revise. I don't want to go back tomorrow. Sorry if this is a bit of a vent, i'm just really struggling and upset. Everyone but me seems to be really enjoying sixth form.
(edited 7 years ago)
It look me a long time to get used to sixth form as it's such a change to doing GCSEs. I'm sure you'll start to settle in soon :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jemmaaa0853
It look me a long time to get used to sixth form as it's such a change to doing GCSEs. I'm sure you'll start to settle in soon :smile:

thanks, i hope so
Reply 3
Original post by iamayesha
Hi, i started a new sixth form college in September and i've been here half a term.. today's my last day of my half term holidays. Anyway, i've just been struggling so much. The workload has been crazy and i haven't had a chance to breathe over the past few weeks.. i've been working fairly consistently over half term but i've all been trying to relax and enjoy myself too-but i'm still quite behind. I live far away too so i have over 2 hours travelling everyday which really tires me, and i also have to wake up early. It's been really hard to make friends too since most people already know lots of people from their old school, because they live nearby, and i'm also a shy person. I've made some friends but i still feel lonely, and i really miss my old school and friends and i really want to go back to my old's school sixth form. But that would probably be stupid since my old school is in special measures and the sixth form is one of the best in Yorkshire and the teaching here is better, plus it's probably too late. However, apart from relaxing i don't really get time for other things i want to do like sport or DoFE.. i haven't worked out since summer because things have been so hectic and tiring. I also want to work experience or to volunteer but at the moment i'm struggling to even revise. I don't want to go back tomorrow. Sorry if this is a bit of a vent, i'm just really struggling and upset. Everyone but me seems to be really enjoying sixth form.

I went to a Sixth Form called Notre Dame Catholic Sixth Form College in Yorkshire and it took me a while to get used to studying there but in the end it was really really nice and enjoyable!
My first two weeks of sixth form were horrendous, but once I sorted out my subjects I found my place there. You will be fine just keep on going with it and try not to worry about what other people around you are doing. I am sure you will settle down soon, it's a big change from GCSE to A level. If you still don't feel confident about it, try talking to your head of year or form tutor about it.
Reply 5
Original post by AshEntropy
I went to a Sixth Form called Notre Dame Catholic Sixth Form College in Yorkshire and it took me a while to get used to studying there but in the end it was really really nice and enjoyable!

Thanks i hope i get used to it.. i just feel like by this point i should be used to it - its been 2 months..
Reply 6
Original post by OwlOfFire
My first two weeks of sixth form were horrendous, but once I sorted out my subjects I found my place there. You will be fine just keep on going with it and try not to worry about what other people around you are doing. I am sure you will settle down soon, it's a big change from GCSE to A level. If you still don't feel confident about it, try talking to your head of year or form tutor about it.

It's been 2 months for me.. it is better than it was at the beginning but i still feel like im struggling. Thankyou, i 'd talk to my tutor but i feel uncomfortable opening up to someone like that ..ill try to though
It took me like 2 weeks to get used to the new routine and get settled. I found it quite easy mainly because I had my best friends (from primary and high school) still with me and also because the environment was just really nice.

Quick Reply

Latest