The Student Room Group

Taking 4 a-levels

So I'm in year 11 having to choose my a- levels and I'm wondering if I should take a 4th or not. Now they've got rid of AS at the college I want to go to most people do 3 but you can do 4 if your grades are high enough (mine are) . The first 3 A levels I want to do are maths chemistry and biology, but I also want to do politics. I find it really interesting and looking round the taster days the course sounds really good, and I also think it would be good to do a non science essay based subject. But I'm not sure I'll still be thinking that when I have way more work. Do you think I should take politics also or will I regret it?
I've just started year 12 and was in a similar situation, deciding whether to do physics as a 4th when I was already doing maths chemistry and biology. I also considered taking politics at one point early on so we have similar choices.

I'd recommend taking a fourth A level and then dropping it early on if you don't like it or the workload is too much (or seems like it will be too much soon). It also gives you a backup if you find you end up hating one of your others subjects (although that's unlikely for most people if you're fairly set on your other three A levels).

What do you want to do at uni? Talk to your school careers advisor, they'll be able to tell you whether politics will help you get onto certain courses.
Reply 2
I completely agree.I am in year 13 now and I may do full A level physics this year.So unless you are completely sure that you don't need it, I think you should take it.
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
I've just started year 12 and was in a similar situation, deciding whether to do physics as a 4th when I was already doing maths chemistry and biology. I also considered taking politics at one point early on so we have similar choices.

I'd recommend taking a fourth A level and then dropping it early on if you don't like it or the workload is too much (or seems like it will be too much soon). It also gives you a backup if you find you end up hating one of your others subjects (although that's unlikely for most people if you're fairly set on your other three A levels).

What do you want to do at uni? Talk to your school careers advisor, they'll be able to tell you whether politics will help you get onto certain courses.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest