The Student Room Group

Obama administration criticised for not allowing enough Christian refugees

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/10/31/judge-rebukes-administration-over-few-admissions-for-syrian-christian-refugees.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/magazine/is-this-the-end-of-christianity-in-the-middle-east.html?_r=0

Out of the 11000 Syrian refugees admitted into the United States, only 56 were Christians. This is despite Christians making up 10% of Syria's population and facing direct threat from ISIS and dozens of other terrorist groups due to their faith.

I really think we need to step up our game and help these people. Christians are targeted heavily by ISIS and there is no security for them anywhere in Syria due to the rise of radical jihadist groups. Churches are being destroyed, monuments demolished and Christians are being hunted down like animals.

However, while taking in refugees can be helpful, the most helpful thing is for the US-led coalition to send forces into Syria to protect Christian communities from ISIS and other radical groups. Christians are becoming extinct in the Middle East and we need to preserve the Christian community in all parts of the world from persecution.
(edited 7 years ago)
How many have claimed refugee status?
10% of the Syrian population doesn't necessarily mean that 10% of those who claimed refugee status from the US were Christian. The US should aim to protect all Syrian civilians, not just Christians.
Reply 3
Original post by 4Skin
10% of the Syrian population doesn't necessarily mean that 10% of those who claimed refugee status from the US were Christian. The US should aim to protect all Syrian civilians, not just Christians.

Yes but Christians are directly being hunted down by radical Islamist groups.
Reply 4
There are also reports that where there were both Muslims and Christians on boats, the Muslims were throwing the Christians overboard. The added problem for Christians is that to get out of Syria they would have to go through Muslim countries.

My opinion is that if a Christian is applying for refugee status to a Christian country then they should take priority. The reverse could then happen in Muslim countries (if any would actually take Christians!).
Reply 5
Original post by JohnGreek
I choose not to believe this. I have been told that the refugees are just like us. No way someone like us would ever do something like this. I refuse to believe it.
Are you actually Greek like your name suggests. If so then maybe you should listen to the Greek people on the islands of Kos and Lesbos. They will tell you what these refugees are really like. The media are telling lies and only show us what the government wants us to see - they do not want us to see the true nature of these refugees.
Reply 6
Original post by JohnGreek
Someone evidently doesn't understand sarcasm. Thanks for the tip tho'
No problems. You got me :tongue:
Whilst I don't think the simple fact that they're Christian means we should prioritise them over Muslim refugees or others like Yazidis, admittedly it may make social integration a bit easier. However, I think the best approach is to create 'safe zones' (as far as this is possible) in the surrounding countries rather than carting them across to Europe/USA, and focus on fighting ISIS to cut the head off the snake and stop the mass migration from continuing.
Original post by nutz99
There are also reports that where there were both Muslims and Christians on boats, the Muslims were throwing the Christians overboard. The added problem for Christians is that to get out of Syria they would have to go through Muslim countries.

My opinion is that if a Christian is applying for refugee status to a Christian country then they should take priority. The reverse could then happen in Muslim countries (if any would actually take Christians!).

What the serious ****????
Original post by nutz99

A nation can't, on the one hand separate state and church into two independent bodies, and on the other make political decisions (such as which refugees to admit) based on religious grounds.

As I think has been said by somebody else, we need to know what % of migration cases from Syria have been from Christians. % of Christians in population is irrelevant.
Reply 10
Original post by PariahEmir
A nation can't, on the one hand separate state and church into two independent bodies, and on the other make political decisions (such as which refugees to admit) based on religious grounds.

If Christians are more at risk than Muslims, then it's logical to give them priority.
Original post by Josb
If Christians are more at risk than Muslims, then it's logical to give them priority.

If your criterion for migration priority is who is at most risk, then why not offer refuge to all the Yazidis who were persecuted in Iraq?
Original post by nutz99

Original post by HucktheForde
What the serious ****????

The bolded happens a lot by all accounts.

Regarding the underlined, this is a huge issue for Eritreans who, let's not forget, make up a sizable proportion of the Calais Jungle population. Eritrea is more or less half and half Muslim and Christian in demographic. The human traffickers normally send them through Libya where Islamists patrol and sometimes catch them. If they are Muslim they allow them through. If they're Christian they're killed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PariahEmir
If your criterion for migration priority is who is at most risk, then why not offer refuge to all the Yazidis who were persecuted in Iraq?

Thats correct, they should have had priority as they were most at risk, as are the Christians. Which is why you can use religion to determine refugee policy, when a person's religion is the cause of their persecution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending