The Student Room Group

Did you intentionally choose RG unis?

Scroll to see replies

i wish i was smart enough for a russell uni. Alas, despite so many hours of valid revision ive fallen and while my GCSE's were A*AAB my AS' were BBCD and A2's are likely to be the same/worse ;(
rather sad really, knowing so many people are smarter than you. Don't get me wrong i highly doubt anyone here is the smartest person doing A levels and whatnot and i was never the smartest but i remember being a little kid and thinking "im going to go to somewhere like Oxford" but my natural intelligence has led me to only applying to pretty crap unis.
Oh well, a unis a uni and ive gotta be grateful im applying to (five of) them :smile:

fyi i applied to keele, greenwich, reading, portsmouth and Chester (doubt ill accept a possible offer there, know absolutely nothing about it, rest of them ive either attended open days or friends doing the course i desire went to the open days)
(edited 7 years ago)
Sent off my application today, I didn't apply to any RG's
I didn't know what the RG was until after I graduated and started working at one of them.

First time round 5/6 choices were RG. I firmed the non RG choice (out of the 6 offers received). Didn't like it, applied to start again at a 7th choice....which was also RG by coincidence.

So 6/7 choices were RG. I picked 1 non RG and 1 RG choice.

When I applied the "measure" of a good university was whether it was "red brick" or not...noone talked about the RG until the marketing teams got wind of it in the early noughties.
I put down two:

- Queen Mary's
- UCL

I like UCL sooooo much in general and I like the course. I picked Queen Mary's as they are quite supportive and not far from home. I did think about applying for Kings due to status and being near home but I didn't like it, now that I have had a chat with someone working there it looks nicer than expected and looked at ICL for status, being near home and being great for the sciences but I can not apply as they need Maths A-Level for Chemistry. However, prefer UCL 100% to 99% of all the universities I have seen and looked at. The 1% is for Surrey which I love just as equally (I know that is not a RG).
Just the one - the University of Manchester. Applied for two different courses there - Psychology (rejected) and Law w/ Criminology (conditional offer - 45 level 3 credits all at distinction on my access course).

I also applied to MMU and the University of Salford. I was going to apply to Cambridge (can't remember which college I chose though) for PBS, but ultimately decided to stay in the North West and live at home due to a recent psychological diagnosis of my own.

I'm laughing slightly, because I applied to do Law w/ Crim. with a very psychology-centric personal statement and still got a conditional offer. I think the main point though, is that I want to advocate for people with mental health difficulties in the legal system (I just don't know whether I want to do it as a forensic psychologist or a legal professional, yet!).

I would love to go to Manchester, but I need to really think about it first...I'm very interested in the legal system and will be working within it, whatever I end up deciding.
All of my uni applications are to Russell Groups (except for St Andrews) - I was surprised to find out that St Andrews wasn't a RG uni! :confused:
I still need to apply
Original post by Luke7456
It depends what you mean by prestigious I mean their is Prestigious for the UK in which case Yes Durham and Warwick are definitely prestigious. For UK top 5 is creme le crem and top ten is Elite

Top 20 is kind of okay you can live with that but will always feel a sadness within.

However their is also internationally and if you want something that stands out globally the rankings get a bit skewed, for example Bath and Loughborough may rank high in the UK but internationally they rank below universities they top on the UK leagues. I want to get something that has prestige internationally as well as in The UK.

I basically added the rankings from the global best for maths and the global best institutions as a whole and divided by two, with rounding to get a list of world class rep universities the general Rule I go with is top 100 is world class but it is hard to get both high scores for maths and high scores for institution as a whole so I allow multiplier of 1.5 to allow a score of 150.

Id normally say top 10 so I allow top 15. A* grade prestige
Then top 30 so I allow 45 A grade prestige
top 50 so I allow 75 B grade Prestige
Top 100 so 150 C grade Prestige

Prestige Category A*
3. Cambridge
5. Oxford
11. Imperial

This category is the elite of the elite world class no comparison delighted if you get into here, go all out to get into one of these 3

prestige Category A

28.Edinburgh
42. UCL
42. Warwick

This Category is the top of the world class whilst been just outside the ultimate glory Still really Elite and highly prestigious you can be delighted with this but not quite as happy as A* category

Prestige Category B
53.Manchester
57. LSE
59. Bristol
74. Kings

This category is world class But not world class Elite you can be satisfied with this but will always have the pain of knowing whilst your technically got into world class you didn't get into Elite world class. I guess can be satisfied with this.

Prestige Category C
76. Nottingham
79. Birmingham
95. Glasgow
110. Leeds
150. Durham

This is category is kind of just scraping world class you can definitely live with going into this category but you will always feel you let yourself down. you still got yourself Prestige but its kind of like just scraping it.

This can be misleading though I mean world if your not worried about international reputation then Bath and LoughBorough are very strong universities and Durham fairs a lot better rather then Just scraping in.

there are still some universities that have very good career prospects and still worth going to like Surrey, It doesn't have Prestige but it is a very strong university.

Prestige matters a lot to me though.

Nice! I like the way you devised an overall ranking for these universities. Which rankings did you use for these universities' ranking for mathematics. Also which one did you use for their global ranking?
Yeah Surrey are my insurance choice by default (I just really feel I'll get an offer from them when I apply).
Original post by Mathemagicien
Surrey and Bath aren't RG? Damn, I've got a few people on FB I need to unfriend...

:rofl:
Original post by _Fergo
Warwick is not and will never be above Durham, Bristol and KCL.

And LSE totally wipes the floor with it. And then throws it in the bin too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh but he was only taking into consideration the overall ranking of the universities from their ranking for mathematics and their global ranking.
At a-level all I knew was the famous unis and the ones my sister applied to. lol. So I applied to Oxford for the heck of it, Queen Mary's cos my sister went there. Also my teacher forced me to apply to LSE ( and the rest is history lol).
I'm planning to apply to:

University of Cambridge (1st choice)
Imperial College London
University College London
King's College London

All for Computer Science :smile: I'm Y11 atm but am planning my future, it's never too early :wink:
Original post by Funnycatvideos
I still need to apply

Lol same but my application to my chosen unis is imminent. Literally a sentence or two on my PS and I'm ready to go...:colondollar:
I had turned down a £15k scholarship to get into an RG uni. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
All this guy is interested in is Maths.

Maths and global reputation for me :biggrin:
Reply 95
Original post by Toasticide
i wish i was smart enough for a russell uni. Alas, despite so many hours of valid revision ive fallen and while my GCSE's were A*AAB my AS' were BBCD and A2's are likely to be the same/worse ;(
rather sad really, knowing so many people are smarter than you. Don't get me wrong i highly doubt anyone here is the smartest person doing A levels and whatnot and i was never the smartest but i remember being a little kid and thinking "im going to go to somewhere like Oxford" but my natural intelligence has led me to only applying to pretty crap unis.
Oh well, a unis a uni and ive gotta be grateful im applying to (five of) them :smile:

fyi i applied to keele, greenwich, reading, portsmouth and Chester (doubt ill accept a possible offer there, know absolutely nothing about it, rest of them ive either attended open days or friends doing the course i desire went to the open days)

Wait you got 4 GCSEs?

Original post by BunnyMidnight
I put down two:

- Queen Mary's
- UCL

I like UCL sooooo much in general and I like the course. I picked Queen Mary's as they are quite supportive and not far from home. I did think about applying for Kings due to status and being near home but I didn't like it, now that I have had a chat with someone working there it looks nicer than expected and looked at ICL for status, being near home and being great for the sciences but I can not apply as they need Maths A-Level for Chemistry. However, prefer UCL 100% to 99% of all the universities I have seen and looked at. The 1% is for Surrey which I love just as equally (I know that is not a RG).

Queen Mary's?

really?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DarkEnergy
I'd say the QS rankings are quite good for undergrad, with Times HES & ARWU only being good for postgraduate studies.

"The QS rankings put student experience at the absolute top, emphasizing the importance of a diverse and international student body, student faculty ratio, and a good reputation from big employers (this is a very subjective and arbitrary one). This ranking is perhaps suited to those who do not intend to do research after university, and go straight for the job market. It also highlights good teaching which I guess is always important in a university education."

QS Methodology: http://www.topuniversities.com/qs-world-university-rankings/methodology

This methodology is a lot better (in my opinion, at least) than that of any national ranking. The Guardian rankings place Coventry above Edinburgh, Bristol, and King's...

Yeah I always thought QS' rankings were better than the UK national rankings.
Original post by Toasticide

You could've applied to kent or leicester for mathematics depending on your predicted grades?
Only 2 (Cardiff and Newcastle), other 3 are Swansea, Leicester and UEA.

Because my choices of uni for translation are very limited, my decisions were all about the course; whether their Russell Group or not is irrelevant. I did look at Birmingham and Nottingham but they weren't anything special so I didn't apply
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
I'm planning to apply to:

University of Cambridge (1st choice)
Imperial College London
University College London
King's College London

All for Computer Science :smile: I'm Y11 atm but am planning my future, it's never too early :wink:
Well done! This should've been me when I was in year 11 :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending