The Student Room Group

Brother told crush that I named my cat after him?!

So, my brother, my crush & I all do an extracurricular class together. My brother is ten, I'm seventeen and my crush is eighteen.
Well, we adopted a kitten a few days ago, and he was named "Insert crush's name" beforehand, and naturally, we renamed him to Moody. Unfortunately, my idiot brother didn't catch this bit and after our extracurricular class, ran upto my crush and said "my sister named her cat after you".
Naturally, my crush practically bolted, and since that, he hasn't accepted my friend request on Facebook (which he knew I was going to send, because I asked him), and I know that things are going to be very awkward between us, which sucks, considering my crush is already quite shy, goes to a different school, and we see each other for barely three hours a week (if I'm VERY lucky). I felt things were going well between us (I could be wrong, naturally) but now it's just going to be awful and awkward.

Edit; I forgot to mention that I asked if I could add him on facebook and he seemed pretty comfortable with the idea, even offering to type his name into my phone, and letting me know that he had no profile picture, to ensure that it was the right person. After the incident with the cat and my brother, though, he hasn't accepted my request and it's been about two days.
(edited 7 years ago)
If someone named their cat after me I WOULD BE SO HAPPY :colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by keepyourapology
So, my brother, my crush & I all do an extracurricular class together. My brother is ten, I'm seventeen and my crush is eighteen.
Well, we adopted a kitten a few days ago, and he was named "Insert crush's name" beforehand, and naturally, we renamed him to Moody. Unfortunately, my idiot brother didn't catch this bit and after our extracurricular class, ran upto my crush and said "my sister named her cat after you".
Naturally, my crush practically bolted, and since that, he hasn't accepted my friend request on Facebook (which he knew I was going to send, because I asked him), and I know that things are going to be very awkward between us, which sucks, considering my crush is already quite shy, goes to a different school, and we see each other for barely three hours a week (if I'm VERY lucky). I felt things were going well between us (I could be wrong, naturally) but now it's just going to be awful and awkward.

If i hardly knew someone i would be a bit freaked out if they named something after me if i liked you back i would eventually get over it or find it amusing or if you were someone i didnt fancy i would think you had feelings for me and it would make me back off if i didnt feel the same way.

Maybe message him and make it lighthearted and explain that your cat wasnt named after him and your idiot brother didnt know what he was saying you could say how the kitten was called that name by the owners and you changed it but your brother assumed it was still your crushs name. If that isnt true i dont see the problem in bending the truth to make him feel comfortable with you again he will see its a misunderstanding.
i would be flattered if a pussy was named after me :h:
He will come around when he see's ur once abandoned pussy
Reply 5
I named my cat after me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP children will do this to you everytime. I feel for you.

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by 0to100
OP children will do this to you everytime. I feel for you.

Spoiler

lol so true . i don't know whether to take this seriously i wonder how many people name thier pet after thier crush
Just try and explain to him what actually happened. Or be subtle and post/talk about your new cat Moody.
Original post by geek567
lol so true . i don't know whether to take this seriously i wonder how many people name thier pet after thier crush

Yea naming an innocent, helpless animal after someone I sexually desire is dangerous territory...
Original post by 0to100
Yea naming an innocent, helpless animal after someone I sexually desire is dangerous territory...

i don't know if your being sarcastic:smile:
Original post by geek567
i don't know if your being sarcastic:smile:

nah I'm being dead serious, that doesn't sound like a good idea to me
Original post by 0to100
nah I'm being dead serious, that doesn't sound like a good idea to me

i agree, the poor guy is probably scared and creeped out. i know i would:smile:
What will you be buying your brother for Christmas? Pesky kid.

Crush will get over it.

Send him a pic of the CAT with its new name on it.
Original post by chikane
If i hardly knew someone i would be a bit freaked out if they named something after me if i liked you back i would eventually get over it or find it amusing or if you were someone i didnt fancy i would think you had feelings for me and it would make me back off if i didnt feel the same way.

Maybe message him and make it lighthearted and explain that your cat wasnt named after him and your idiot brother didnt know what he was saying you could say how the kitten was called that name by the owners and you changed it but your brother assumed it was still your crushs name. If that isnt true i dont see the problem in bending the truth to make him feel comfortable with you again he will see its a misunderstanding.

Original post by 999tigger
What will you be buying your brother for Christmas? Pesky kid.

Crush will get over it.

Send him a pic of the CAT with its new name on it.

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the help a lot, and I will be casually explaining the situation to him, but I'm just afraid that the natural dynamic of our conversations won't be restored, and it will be a little bit on the forced and awkward side.
He's just really great and I want it to work, but there's the fact that if this "joke" affects him so much, then maybe he's not that great after all. Nevertheless, I'll hope for the best. Thank you so much for all of the help!
Reply 15
If he likes you he'll find it funny, if he doesn't he'll find it creepy
Original post by keepyourapology
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the help a lot, and I will be casually explaining the situation to him, but I'm just afraid that the natural dynamic of our conversations won't be restored, and it will be a little bit on the forced and awkward side.
He's just really great and I want it to work, but there's the fact that if this "joke" affects him so much, then maybe he's not that great after all. Nevertheless, I'll hope for the best. Thank you so much for all of the help!

If it makes you feel any better my family out voted me to name our puppy after a crush I had a few years before that. Puppy is now about 5 years old and crush has reappeared in my life as a lifeguard where my mum and sister swim. They've decided that they're not going to tell him that we named the dog after him because they ship us too much...
Original post by magicpandas
If it makes you feel any better my family out voted me to name our puppy after a crush I had a few years before that. Puppy is now about 5 years old and crush has reappeared in my life as a lifeguard where my mum and sister swim. They've decided that they're not going to tell him that we named the dog after him because they ship us too much...

Thankfully, they had the sense to not tell him but I understand your situation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending