The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neosynth
sheffield is great i had a lot of fun. The course is really hard but im guessing most people here already no that lol. grad prospects are good as long as you do a placement. most people from my year who don't have jobs its because they didn't do a placement. I didn't do a placement so didn't get a job now i'm trying to get into finance. Another post on here said if you didn't get a grad scheme your ****ed and i think its kinda true no small companies want to train grad engineers and if they do they offer really low salary which is why i'm trying for finance.

What sector of finance? Aren't some sector really hard to get into without spring weeks and summer internships?
Original post by timster32
What sector of finance? Aren't some sector really hard to get into without spring weeks and summer internships?

yh if you didn't go to target you have basically no chance of getting into front office anyway even without internships. im mostly going for technology or operations positions as i might have a slightly better chance there. not too sure atm though as i know they've already started giving out offers and i've had no interviews yet :/
yh if you didn't go to target you have basically no chance of getting into front office anyway even without internships. im mostly going for technology or operations positions as i might have a slightly better chance there. not too sure atm though as i know they've already started giving out offers and i've had no interviews yet :/

Which position in an IB requires a PhD?
Original post by Azzer11
Which position in an IB requires a PhD?

None?
None?

Can't remember but there is a position that requires a PhD or perhaps a Masters at least that we got told about at the JPM insight day.
Original post by Azzer11
Can't remember but there is a position that requires a PhD or perhaps a Masters at least that we got told about at the JPM insight day.

if you went to JPM you know more than me lol. I think going into quant trading or algo development you probs need a PhD. Probably more likely to be in maths or compsci than engineering though. i think a PhD in engineering is only really worth it if you want to be a lecturer or in research tbh.
sheffield is great i had a lot of fun. The course is really hard but im guessing most people here already no that lol. grad prospects are good as long as you do a placement. most people from my year who don't have jobs its because they didn't do a placement. I didn't do a placement so didn't get a job now i'm trying to get into finance. Another post on here said if you didn't get a grad scheme your ****ed and i think its kinda true no small companies want to train grad engineers and if they do they offer really low salary which is why i'm trying for finance.

Just out of interest how many students in your year obtained a placement and how many students were there in your year?
If you have an interview at Manchester, is that basically an offer?
If you have an interview at Manchester, is that basically an offer?

Pretty much
Original post by khanpatel321
Just out of interest how many students in your year obtained a placement and how many students were there in your year?

around 60 people in the year, probably 20-ish people did placement.
Pretty much

What kind of questions do they ask in the interview?
around 60 people in the year, probably 20-ish people did placement.

Damn only 60 students at Manchester there are 260 students in my year lol

What kind of questions do they ask in the interview?

The usual stuff why chem eng etc.

And maybe depending on who does your interview they will ask some A level difficulty type questions.

Nothing to worry about.
Damn only 60 students at Manchester there are 260 students in my year lol

yh its a bit smaller than that haha. seems like the course has got way bigger in years below me tbf. how do you find manchester? i don't think i would've done as well with a big course.
Original post by ML8020
Is it on the 26th?
I got that as well.
It seems a bit too quick and I don't know if I'm ready...

Posted from TSR Mobile

How'd your interview go? What kind of questions did they ask (academic or just general)
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
How'd your interview go? What kind of questions did they ask (academic or just general)

A few general ones like why do you want to do chem eng but mostly academic.
I think I got most academical ones correct but not sure if the interviewer is satisfied with my answers to the general questions.
Can't read anything from the interviewer's face as he appears to be a serious person with no smiles.
Nervously waiting for the final decision now... They said the decision will be sent in 2-3 weeks so that is 9/11-16/11. Still gotta wait for at least 7 days:s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ML8020
I think I got most academical ones correct but not sure if the interviewer is satisfied with my answers to the general questions.
Can't read anything from the interviewer's face as he appears to be a serious person with no smiles.
Nervously waiting for the final decision now... They said the decision will be sent in 2-3 weeks so that is 9/11-16/11. Still gotta wait for at least 7 days:s-smilie:

Thanks for the reply, hopefully you get an offer!
Original post by ML8020

What is the general jist of the academic and the general questions like?
Original post by APersonYo
What is the general jist of the academic and the general questions like?

Please don't discuss the detail of interview questions :smile:
yh its a bit smaller than that haha. seems like the course has got way bigger in years below me tbf. how do you find manchester? i don't think i would've done as well with a big course.

I'm a 3rd year and there's about 130 of us. The current 1st years there's more than that I think.
Original post by Dusky Mauve
I'm a 3rd year and there's about 130 of us. The current 1st years there's more than that I think.

There are 260 of us lol

It is what it is typical university more about independent learning. However if you have a problem you can go see lecturers. Their office hours are not as busy as you might think for the amount of students on the course.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending