The Student Room Group

West Ham stadium problems

Latest article on the problems at the Olympic stadium is knock it down and start again. What do you guys think? Any idea of any solutions to the problems?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37828905
All their stewarding/security is outsourced to a third party who are trying to do it on the cheap, so you have a load of sixth formers with no experience of football crowds acting as stewards. Police won't go in the ground either because the necessary radio system wasn't installed. There have been a lot of problems with standing/sitting as it's a new ground fans don't know where the standing areas are, and obviously the club can't really say anything. Whole thing has been a shambles to be honest, their owners are crooks trying to get as much money as possible.

I've been during the Olympics and since the revamp, and it's not a football ground. I'd be furious if my team moved there.
Worrying aspect is that it seems it will get worse before it gets better. There was a opinion piece in the Mail on Sunday which was spot-on relating to the stadium.

For someone who sits alongside Lord Sugar on his show and watches from close quarters how he tears apart contestants for errors such as poor planning yet the radios won't be in place until February next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A farce from start to finish. Many said it would be a miserable place to play football in.

Fair play to Spurs and Chelsea, in a few years they will have top notch football stadiums, hopefully the fackin' 'Ammers will be playing in their half filled athletics bowl in the Championship by then.
Who would be paying for the knocking down and building a new one?
Reply 5
Just seems farcical. What he's saying is so obvious that i even thought it as a kid 10 years ago. Why design it as an Athletics stadium for use over just two weeks when it's long term use was always going to be a football ground?

Then there's the whole issue of them contributing **** all towards it, which in this age of monster TV deals is just scandalous. Plus how much are the owners going to profit from the old Upton Park site? The whole thing stinks tbh and these "teething problems" are well deserved.
Original post by scriggy
Just seems farcical. What he's saying is so obvious that i even thought it as a kid 10 years ago. Why design it as an Athletics stadium for use over just two weeks when it's long term use was always going to be a football ground?

Then there's the whole issue of them contributing **** all towards it, which in this age of monster TV deals is just scandalous. Plus how much are the owners going to profit from the old Upton Park site? The whole thing stinks tbh and these "teething problems" are well deserved.

Completely agree. Piss take is an understatement.
They were so determined that it would be a 25,000 athletics only stadium after the Olympics, even though it was pretty ****ing obvious from day one that there would be no demand for it and the only option was for a football club to move in.

They need to just gut the entire lower tier, rebuild it so it's closer to the pitch and not miles away from the upper tier. The athletics track has to go or at worst be completely covered up, that green astro turf around the side just looks embarassing.

Original post by scriggy

A better question is how much are they going to profit when they sell West Ham, which is inevitably what will happen.

They're a bunch of crooks to be honest. I interact with a lot of West Ham fans on Twitter and they all despise the owners.
Reply 8
This Olympic legacy was a load of ---- talk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imagine seriously suggesting knocking down a 700 million quid stadium just to build another one instead of addressing what can be done to improve security.
Original post by sr90

They're a bunch of crooks to be honest.

Water is wet.
Seen a few fights with the lads. Beers flying. Tried to get in the away end but the steward wasn't having any of it. Bloody mess with a few home vs home fights, find it disgusting.
Why don't they just move back to Upton park and redevelop? Or play at Olympic stadium whilst Upton park is being redeveloped and then move back.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Why don't they just move back to Upton park and redevelop? Or play at Olympic stadium whilst Upton park is being redeveloped and then move back.

It's been demolished mate
Original post by skinnyp27
It's been demolished mate

Already?
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Already?

yes

Quick Reply

Latest