The Student Room Group

Which Uni is more sensible to apply to?

I'm close to handing in my application but would like a little advice on my Uni choices.

My predicted Grades are AAA and I think I can definitely (almost definitely) come out of A-Levels with at least ABB.

I'm definitely applying to
Exeter - AAA
Bristol - A*AA - AAB
Southampton - AAA - AAB
Bangor - BBB

My school is within range of contextual offers so I'm hoping Bristol and Southampton will give me those (I'm not relying on it)

But I want to choose between Royal Holloway and Keele. Royal Holloway is much closer and extremely good for Geography, and Keele is also good and easier tog et into (a little far away)

Royal Holloway have grades of AAB - ABB
Keele have grades of ABB.

I was wondering what's the likeliness of Bangor rejecting me and leaving me with no back up uni? And is it sensible to put Royal Holloway as my fifth choice and risk them saying AAB and Bangor rejecting me?

Or should I stick safe and put Keele even if I prefer RH?

Sorry if this is a little long, I just don't know if I should risk it or not.
Bump
Firstlt if you are entitled to a contextual offer you are likely to get 1 from Exeter. As far as your insurance choice goes that will be your choice whether you want to risk the higher graded university and go through clearance or not. My view would be to cover yourself with a BBB university although others might prefer to take the risk
Reply 3
The Geography course at Bangor was in clearing this year, as were 39 of their other courses. So there is always a chance that if you miss your predicted grades you'll get in there anyway.

Bangor is one of those unis that makes quite a few unconditional offers. There is a possibility you would get one with your predicted grades.

If you prefer Royal Holloway then go for it. Conditional offers last year were ABB so likely that you will get an offer.

Alternatively, apply for RH, Exeter, Bristol & Southampton now and see what offers you get. You can then add a 5th uni later.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MapleMaypole
My school is within range of contextual offers so I'm hoping Bristol and Southampton will give me those (I'm not relying on it)

Check Bristol and Soton's websites to see if your school is actually listed. If not you won't get the contextual offer, and the lists are different for each university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Check Bristol and Soton's websites to see if your school is actually listed. If not you won't get the contextual offer, and the lists are different for each university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! We're definitely on the list for Bristol, I couldn't find any list for Southampton though, but I don't mind putting that as an aspirational Uni.

I'm more worried about the chances of Royal Holloway giving me AAB and Bangor rejecting me :frown:
But there's a very low chance that'll happen
Original post by swansea jack 1
Firstlt if you are entitled to a contextual offer you are likely to get 1 from Exeter. As far as your insurance choice goes that will be your choice whether you want to risk the higher graded university and go through clearance or not. My view would be to cover yourself with a BBB university although others might prefer to take the risk

I'm definitely putting one BBB uni down, but I'm not sure if I need two just to be safe? What are the chances of them rejecting me>?
Original post by nutz99
The Geography course at Bangor was in clearing this year, as were 39 of their other courses. So there is always a chance that if you miss your predicted grades you'll get in there anyway.

Bangor is one of those unis that makes quite a few unconditional offers. There is a possibility you would get one with your predicted grades.

If you prefer Royal Holloway then go for it. Conditional offers last year were ABB so likely that you will get an offer.

Alternatively, apply for RH, Exeter, Bristol & Southampton now and see what offers you get. You can then add a 5th uni later.

Thank you, this is so useful! I've decided to go with Royal Holloway because it's closer to home and the course looks amazing!
Thank you! We're definitely on the list for Bristol, I couldn't find any list for Southampton though, but I don't mind putting that as an aspirational Uni.

I'm more worried about the chances of Royal Holloway giving me AAB and Bangor rejecting me :frown:

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/studentadmin/admissions/admissions-policies/contextual-admissions.page
Reply 9

Soton:
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/studentadmin/admissions/admissions-policies/contextual-admissions.page
and the school list: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/content-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/2C1FFE1275F74B2F9390968BEEA86AFA/Eligible%20Schools%202016.pdf

But note, you can get contextual offers for other reasons too. Check the pages :smile:
Reply 11
I had an offer from Bangor with one grade above all of my target grades, so you should be fine :smile:
My UCAS has been sent off!!

Thank you for your help, I ended up choosing:
Bristol
Southampton
Exeter
Royal Holloway
Bangor

:smile:
So far I have an Unconditional offer from Bangor and a conditional offer from Royal Holloway!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest