The Student Room Group

Would you go back to the uni you once withdrawn from?

I have an opportunity to study an induction course in a career path I want to do.

The place it's located at is at a college I was once at. I was studying a different degree and stuck at it the whole of the first year. I had a bad experience the whole time I was at the place. The course wasn't that good and I lacked enthusiasm.

Now I'm unsure if I should go enroll on the course I really want a career out of. At the same place.

Is it a dumb idea?
How long is the induction course? Can you do it elsewhere?

If the career is important and your only option, then go, get the qualification and you can then proceed following your career.
Inductions by their nature tend to be short. You dont give enough information.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
How long is the induction course? Can you do it elsewhere?

If the career is important and your only option, then go, get the qualification and you can then proceed following your career.
Inductions by their nature tend to be short. You dont give enough information.

Yes it's only short but you get a certificate. It's the only one that has that exact course and starts soon. It's suppose to be good but unsure if it's worth it as it's short and expensive
Original post by Anonymous
Yes it's only short but you get a certificate. It's the only one that has that exact course and starts soon. It's suppose to be good but unsure if it's worth it as it's short and expensive

Well if its only short then you cna just go for the lecures and thats it. It is just a place and a stepoing stone to get to the place you claim you want to be.

I would just get on with it.

Expense is soemthing I cant help you with. Do your research.
I did...

Dropped out of my degree in 2nd year.. came back a year later and re-did 2nd year + went on to finish the degree..

It was a little akward at first as I had so many bad memories/experiances the first time round.. but at the end of the day its a fresh start, and after quickly making some good experiances after returning, I quickly got over the bad memories..

Its worth thinking about why it didnt work the first time though.. if you cant identify and solve that problem, then its not worth going back and risking it again. For me the problem was clear, I ended up living with people I really didnt not get on well with, a long way from my university.. and back then I was not mentally tough enough to cope well with the isolation of living basically on my own/a long way away. After I went back, I returned to halls and with the core issue solved, everything else fell into place.
Reply 5
What's going to be different this time that's going to make you want to stay and complete the course?
What was it about the uni you didn't like? Was it just the course, or was it the social side and living spaces too? If it was just the course last time, and nothing else, then make sure you're certain you will like the way this new course is taught at the uni, and it may be okay. However if there were social aspects you disliked, I would recommend going somewhere else.

What happened to me - I was studying course A at Uni of Edinburgh. I hated the course, and I hated the social side. I went to uni to make new friends and have fun, and I ended up feeling isolated and depressed. I found the people on my course very cliquey, and the people I lived with weren't big on going out. I dropped out after one semester.

I'm now studying a different course (B) at Newcastle Uni. All of the people on my course are super friendly, the people I live with are fun and the social side is amazing.

The thing is, I didn't apply to Edinburgh to do course B because although that may have solved my dislike of the course, I found the uni environment/people/social side quite unfriendly and unwelcoming and I've never felt so isolated in my life. If the social side had been supportive and fun, as I have experienced it at Newcastle, it may have even convinced me to stay on the course despite my dislike. However that wasn't the case and now I just have bad associations with Ed.

Try looking at student satisfaction for your chosen course.
Reply 7
Original post by Ham22
What's going to be different this time that's going to make you want to stay and complete the course?

I'll have a goal I want to achieve and focus on that. I just wanted to live in another place the last time and just couldn't turn down an opportunity
Reply 8
Original post by RosieGirl
What was it about the uni you didn't like? Was it just the course, or was it the social side and living spaces too? If it was just the course last time, and nothing else, then make sure you're certain you will like the way this new course is taught at the uni, and it may be okay. However if there were social aspects you disliked, I would recommend going somewhere else.

What happened to me - I was studying course A at Uni of Edinburgh. I hated the course, and I hated the social side. I went to uni to make new friends and have fun, and I ended up feeling isolated and depressed. I found the people on my course very cliquey, and the people I lived with weren't big on going out. I dropped out after one semester.

I'm now studying a different course (B) at Newcastle Uni. All of the people on my course are super friendly, the people I live with are fun and the social side is amazing.

The thing is, I didn't apply to Edinburgh to do course B because although that may have solved my dislike of the course, I found the uni environment/people/social side quite unfriendly and unwelcoming and I've never felt so isolated in my life. If the social side had been supportive and fun, as I have experienced it at Newcastle, it may have even convinced me to stay on the course despite my dislike. However that wasn't the case and now I just have bad associations with Ed.

Try looking at student satisfaction for your chosen course.

I'm happy it worked out for you in end. Sorry you had bad experience in the beginning though.

To be honest yes it was mostly the course. Even though certain aspects of the social side was snobby and at times unfriendly. I did get on with a couple of students. I just didn't click with some of them as they were into computer gaming and stuff like that. Some were just a little difficult to get on with. I admit I'm a pretty independent person in general and didn't try constantly everytime even though im a friendly, bubbly person. I am older also so that could've been why, even though they were some older ones.

The place I was living wasn't a social flat and I did arrive a little late. I ended up moving out but ended up more isolated so I guess that was my fault. I did join societies though, only positive thing about it.

Anyways yes I was they're the first time for the wrong reasons. I was very very lost. It was an experience though
Reply 9
Original post by fallen_acorns
I did...

Dropped out of my degree in 2nd year.. came back a year later and re-did 2nd year + went on to finish the degree..

It was a little akward at first as I had so many bad memories/experiances the first time round.. but at the end of the day its a fresh start, and after quickly making some good experiances after returning, I quickly got over the bad memories..

Its worth thinking about why it didnt work the first time though.. if you cant identify and solve that problem, then its not worth going back and risking it again. For me the problem was clear, I ended up living with people I really didnt not get on well with, a long way from my university.. and back then I was not mentally tough enough to cope well with the isolation of living basically on my own/a long way away. After I went back, I returned to halls and with the core issue solved, everything else fell into place.

I glad it worked out for you in the end

I just wanted to live in the city and get away for a little while. The course was an opportunity to too that and it was last minute clearing offer. I had no luck with my last career so took the only opportunity. Silly mistake but I've learnt.

I'm unsure if I should go as student satisfaction was a little lower then I thought

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending