The Student Room Group

Is Malia Bouattia an anti-Semite

Poll

Do you think Malia Bouattia is an anti Semite?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know if she is antisemitic but I'm pretty sure that if someone called a particular university "something of an [Islamist/ISIS/Hamas etc.] outpost", she would be the first to cry Islamophobia.

It also doesn't help her case when rehashing that old "Zionists control the media" trope.
AHhh I read her name as...MAlala... On Mali, I've no idea.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
The NUS President said she was “alarmed” that the signatories to the letter had “drawn a link between criticism of Zionist ideologies and antisemitism”.

Her 'criticism of Zionist ideologies" is paranoia .
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Yes. And it's odd because I thought that kind of comedy, militant-left posturing had gone out of fashion with students. Perhaps it's making a comeback, or at least with the ones who can be arsed to vote in NUS elections (which is about 10% iirc)
donald-trump-is-still-soaring-in-iowa-but-there-are-now-some-clear-warning-signs.jpg
"Is Malia Bouattia an anti-Semite"

Yes....in fact i'd go so far as to say she could even join the Labour Party
Probably not an anti Semite, but I don't doubt anyone who said the same sorts of things as she but about Islam and an Islamic nation would be branded an Islamophobe and racist by her supporters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course she is.
My ****ing God Jews need to stop pulling the victim card.

And this:

You referred to the University of Birmingham as a ‘Zionist outpost’ and referenced that it has the ‘largest [Jewish Society] in the country’ when describing the challenges you were facing at the time . . . We are shocked that someone who is seeking to represent this organisation could possibly see a large Jewish student population as a challenge and not something to be welcomed.

Morons much? Of course it's a challenge. I had a much smaller Jew/Palestine (Muslim) uni and yet it created enough "challenge". Not to mention she actually said Zionist and they rephrased that to Jews.
Original post by Implication
Probably not an anti Semite, but I don't doubt anyone who said the same sorts of things as she but about Islam and an Islamic nation would be branded an Islamophobe and racist by her supporters.

Original post by Ascend
I don't know if she is antisemitic but I'm pretty sure that if someone called a particular university "something of an [Islamist/ISIS/Hamas etc.] outpost", she would be the first to cry Islamophobia.

If they did, she and her supporters would simply be widely dismissed as naive oversensitive student lefty SJWs or something like that, especially by those most vociferously insisting she's anti-semitic.
Reply 12
Original post by anarchism101
If they did, she and her supporters would simply be widely dismissed as naive oversensitive student lefty SJWs or something like that, especially by those most vociferously insisting she's anti-semitic.

Yes, most likely. There is hypocrisy and lack of nuance on both extremes and the shared double standard of blanketly conflating criticism of an ideology (Islam/Zionism) with bigotry (against Muslims/Jews).
Original post by Ascend
Yes, most likely. There is hypocrisy and lack of nuance on both extremes and the shared double standard of blanketly conflating criticism of an ideology (Islam/Zionism) with bigotry (against Muslims/Jews).

Islam, like Judaism is a religion with certain legal protections from discrimination. Zionism is a political ideology. Islamism would be the political ideology if that's the distinction you're making.

But to get to the actual point, we're not just talking about two fringe extremes. If the hypothetical situation of Bouattia saying the same sort of things about Islamists got resulted in her being called Islamophobic by NUS activists, it'd be ignored outside student circles or even ridiculed. By contrast, her potentially being anti-semitic was elevated to a national news story worthy of huge discussion and demonisation of her.
Zionism is a political ideology.

Nope. Zionism is a national Jewish movement.
Original post by admonit
Nope. Zionism is a national Jewish movement.

Nationalism is a political ideology. National movements are political movements. For the most obvious British examples, see SNP, Sinn Fein, etc.
Nationalism is a political ideology. National movements are political movements. For the most obvious British examples, see SNP, Sinn Fein, etc.

Nope. Specific national movement can have political form and can lead to political independence, but it is not a political ideology.
Original post by admonit
Nope. Specific national movement can have political form and can lead to political independence, but it is not a political ideology.

This is hair-splitting at best. If you're desperate to insist that it's political but not technically ideological, fine. It doesn't make a huge difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone who opposes Israeli government policy/illegal settlements/the political ideology of Zionism is smeared as anti-Semitic nowadays.

A good way for the pro-Israeli bunch to shut down any debate on its history of murder and occupation.
This is hair-splitting at best. If you're desperate to insist that it's political but not technically ideological, fine. It doesn't make a huge difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It makes a huge difference when you skip the words "national" and "Jewish" while defining Zionism.

Quick Reply