The Student Room Group

How did the 'being skinny' craze come about?

I hear all the time that men are not that keen on very skinny women and that they like a little meat on the bones whether it's fat or muscle. Not just recently but through the 90's I heard this too. Im wondering then how did it become so desirable to women to be 'thin'. I know that the media and the showing of skinny celebs contributed to it but how did this come about, was it just a fashion trend that women wanted to copy. Was what men found attractive just not taken into account or was it a popular belief that the skinny image was generally what men wanted?

Scroll to see replies

i think there was a famous thin model called Twinky or sth in the 1960s ?
Reply 2
really, im thinking its all about being curvy (not fat)
Reply 3
Original post by the bear
i think there was a famous thin model called Twinky or sth in the 1960s ?

You mean twiggy heh
Original post by Anonymous
You mean twiggy heh

FKA twiggy

:teehee:
There's also the fat shaming attitudes that lead some vulnerable people to anorexia or bulimia
Because being fat is not healthy. Nor is being extremely skinny. And people complain about fat shaming and yes you should be "shamed" for being fat and not told that you are healthy at every size.

and when I say fat I do not mean A little over Average.
Reply 7
Original post by AperfectBalance
Because being fat is not healthy. Nor is being extremely skinny. And people complain about fat shaming and yes you should be "shamed" for being fat and not told that you are healthy at every size.

and when I say fat I do not mean A little over Average.

well I'm within normal bmi and keep fit 5 times a week yet still get told that I need to lose weight by my bf. You can look 'fatty' but still be healthy.
skinny fashion models are not attractive at all
Original post by Anonymous
well I'm within normal bmi and keep fit 5 times a week yet still get told that I need to lose weight by my bf. You can look 'fatty' but still be healthy.

Sounds like a dick tbh
You don't have to go back that far to when the stick-thin look would have been extremely unattractive as it would have indicated a lack of food and therefore poverty. In a society such as our modern day one, where food and calories are plentiful, thinness becomes an outward display of control and self discipline. This has recently morphed into the 'ab crack' fad where it's no longer good enough just to be thin, you need to be thin AND muscled - like you've been in the gym for most of your adult life. And who can attain such heights - those with power, control, and possibly enough money and control of their time to dedicate themselves to this pursuit. Find a fat woman in South Ken, Holland Park, Knightsbridge or Hampstead - most likely they'll be cleaning or delivering something.

There is also the more basic fact that obesity is not, in the main, aesthetically pleasing, regardless of the age in which it occurs. A great big mound of wobbling blubber is not an appealing thing to look at, compared to the line of a slender figure. And clothes look bloody awful on fatties.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
curvy's the trend now. Look at kim kardashian.
Reply 12
Original post by Reality Check
You don't have to go back that far to when the stick-thin look would have been extremely unattractive as it would have indicated a lack of food and therefore poverty. In a society such as our modern day one, where food and calories are plentiful, thinness becomes an outward display of control and self discipline. This has recently morphed into the 'ab crack' fad where it's no longer good enough just to be thin, you need to be thin AND muscled - like you've been in the gym for most of your adult life. And who can attain such heights - those with power, control, and possibly enough money and control of their time to dedicate themselves to this pursuit. Find a fat woman in South Ken, Holland Park, Knightsbridge or Hampstead - most likely they'll be cleaning or delivering something.

There is also the more basic fact that obesity is not, in the main, aesthetically pleasing, regardless of the age in which it occurs. A great big mound of wobbling blubber is not an appealing thing to look at, compared to the line of a slender figure. And clothes look bloody awful on fatties.

Power and control? Virtually anyone can be thin and muscular, they just need willpower
Original post by difeo
Power and control? Virtually anyone can be thin and muscular, they just need willpower

Right, so the obesity epidemic in the entire western world is just down to a lack of willpower, is it? A total breakdown and loss of willpower in about 30 years? Nothing more?

I think we'd call that 'over-simplification'...!
Reply 14
Original post by Reality Check
Right, so the obesity epidemic in the entire western world is just down to a lack of willpower, is it? A total breakdown and loss of willpower in about 30 years? Nothing more?

I think we'd call that 'over-simplification'...!

Lack of willpower and ignorance, yeah
Original post by bones-mccoy
Sounds like a dick tbh

Why?
The whole thing about being really skinny is more of a fashion/women's mags thing. Remember the fashion industry is mainly ran by gay old dudes so of course their models will be looking like twinks lol.
I heard a lot of it is to do with models needing to be a similar size to make buying clothing samples easier, and smaller samples are cheaper. Could be wrong, but it makes some sense on the fashion industry side of things.

Also, to a lot of people (most, actually), being fat is unattractive, so people want to stay as far from fat as possible.
Original post by shawn_o1
There's also the fat shaming attitudes that lead some vulnerable people to anorexia or bulimia

Fat shaming? you mean folk telling fat people the truth?
When a normal weight isn't good enough, it's all disordered thinking. I'm UK Size 4 and still calorie counting atm, trying to loose a few kg's.
I realize how ridiculous it sounds but I can't help it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending