The Student Room Group

Graphic Design courses??

hi! i want to apply to graphic design and i was wondering if you could tell me some good courses. At the moment I'm interested in NTU, Middlesex, UCA, Camberwell and Ravensbourne.

I think my top choice at the moment is Ravensbourne because it looks like it has a good environment, good facilities and industry links, but it kinda worries me that i saw on their website they dont have any printmaking facilities, which i think is important, so I'm worried that it may be too digital and best for film and media than graphic design. On the other side, Middlesex, UCA and NTU all seem to have great facilities but they dont have a reputation like ravensbourne or ual. About camberwell, it seems great but maybe overly competetive it's what i'm hearing? my neighboor goes there and she's loving it tho, so i dont know..

i have like an "agency" that's helping me with my application (cause im not from the uk) and they only let me apply to 2 universities god knows why so please help mee!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mbeatriz
i have like an "agency" that's helping me with my application (cause im not from the uk) and they only let me apply to 2 universities god knows why so please help mee!!

On this - once your application is in and processed by UCAS you should be able to log in to UCAS Track and add in more choices (up to 5 in total) yourself.

Do you have any preferences about where you'd like to study? 3 of your choices are in London - do you like living in a big city? If so then you might find UCA especially to be less enjoyable.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
On this - once your application is in and processed by UCAS you should be able to log in to UCAS Track and add in more choices (up to 5 in total) yourself.

Do you have any preferences about where you'd like to study? 3 of your choices are in London - do you like living in a big city? If so then you might find UCA especially to be less enjoyable.

I hope im able to do that, then i'll see. But for now i have to choose just 2 and I'm so confused!

Right now I don't think I have a preference in London, I'm trying more to give preference to the courses, it just happens that 3 of them are in London. However, i live 10 min from a city and so I'm more used to the city life and deep down I think living in London would be much cooler, but maybe more tiring and wayy more expensive -I don't know where I am going to find accomodation in london for like 100 pounds a week (thats like the maximum for my budget for accommodation) without having to live 3 hours away.
(edited 7 years ago)
I hope im able to do that, then i'll see. But for now i have to choose just 2 and I'm so confused!

Right now I don't think I have a preference in London, I'm trying more to give preference to the courses, it just happens that 3 of them are in London. However, i live 10 min from a city and so I'm more used to the city life and deep down I think living in London would be much cooler, but maybe more tiring and wayy more expensive -I don't know where I am going to find accomodation in london for like 100 pounds a week (thats like the maximum for my budget) without having to live 3 hours away.

Ok

Cheap, big city and international reputation.

I'd suggest looking into
http://www.gsa.ac.uk/study/undergraduate-degrees/communication-design/
And
http://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/graphicdesign/

There's lots of other options in smaller cities (norwich uni of arts, arts uni Bournemouth), more expensive areas to live (Edinburgh) or with less international reputation (falmouth, Leeds college of art, Plymouth college of art). But the two links would tick more of your boxes (on a budget of £100pw London is probably not an option I'm afraid - you can move further out but the transport costs of traveling in would be very high).
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Ok

Cheap, big city and international reputation.

I'd suggest looking into
http://www.gsa.ac.uk/study/undergraduate-degrees/communication-design/
And
http://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/graphicdesign/

There's lots of other options in smaller cities (norwich uni of arts, arts uni Bournemouth), more expensive areas to live (Edinburgh) or with less international reputation (falmouth, Leeds college of art, Plymouth college of art). But the two links would tick more of your boxes (on a budget of £100pw London is probably not an option I'm afraid - you can move further out but the transport costs of traveling in would be very high).

yes it's kind of impossible but if the university in london is really worth it and much better than the other options i think i would make the effort to stay there, stretch my budget of course, and get a part-time.

i had seen gsa and eca and actually really liked, eca more. Do you think maybe in london i would get more industry links and opportunities and it would be more easy to find a part time»
the reason i excluded edinburgh was because i dont think it's a very "design city", i dont know how to say it,
I think my top choice at the moment is Ravensbourne because it looks like it has a good environment, good facilities and industry links, but it kinda worries me that i saw on their website they dont have any printmaking facilities, which i think is important, so I'm worried that it may be too digital and best for film and media than graphic design.

Hi mbeatriz,

At Ravensbourne we have a lot of machines used for Graphic Design!

Here is a list of the items we have that are mainly used for graphic design with a bit of information next to them:
UV Printer- Printer that layers the inks and then sets them in with UV light. This can be used to print onto items such as paper, wood, cardboard, plastic, etc.
RISO A3- Risograph printer straight onto paper. This can print in neon inks and works like a screen printer.
RISO A2- Risograph printer that was custom-made for Ravensbourne. We are the only place in the UK to have one, no other university or even businesses have this machine.
Paper Cutter- Used for cutting large stacks of paper. Used for book-making or cutting posters to size.
Paper Folder and Perforater- Creates perforated lines, folds, or double folds onto paper and card.
Saddlestitch Machine- Pneumatic stapler used to bind books. We have regular book-binding staples and ones that can hook into a 3-ring binder.
Sublimation Printers- Disperse dye printers that can be used to transfer prints onto synthetic fabrics.
Digital Printer- Reactive dye printer that prints straight onto pre-coated natural fabrics.
Laser Cutters- Cutting, etching, or line engraving on varying materials such as paper, card, wood, acrylic, etc.

We also have other machines but those are the main ones that I see graphic design using.

We also have a full print shop down on Level 4 that is paired with IT. They have quite a good range of printers.

I would suggest that you come for an open day and tour our facilities so that you can get a better idea of what equipment we have. I know I chose Ravensbourne for the prototyping facilities so I would hate for anyone considering studying at Ravensbourne not to realise just how much great equipment there is.

Best of luck!

Mia

Quick Reply

Latest