The Student Room Group

Transfer Canadian high school credits to GCSEs

I lived in Canada for three years (since I was 15 years old until 18 years old), attending high school from grade 10 until grade 12. I recently moved to England. I am currently attending a college studying Level 3 Music and taking GCSE English and Math. Because I didn’t graduate high school in Canada (due to not enough credits and to the expiry of my Canadian study visa), I was wondering if the high school credits could be transferable into the GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education)/IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education) O-Levels and get a secondary school certificate. I need this certificate because I want to be enrolled in a Canadian university and the requirements are five acceptable O-Level subjects and at least two acceptable A-Level subjects, which at the end of this college I will get only two O-Level subject and three A-Level subjects.

Thanks
Original post by randomitaliano
I lived in Canada for three years (since I was 15 years old until 18 years old), attending high school from grade 10 until grade 12. I recently moved to England. I am currently attending a college studying Level 3 Music and taking GCSE English and Math. Because I didn’t graduate high school in Canada (due to not enough credits and to the expiry of my Canadian study visa), I was wondering if the high school credits could be transferable into the GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education)/IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education) O-Levels and get a secondary school certificate. I need this certificate because I want to be enrolled in a Canadian university and the requirements are five acceptable O-Level subjects and at least two acceptable A-Level subjects, which at the end of this college I will get only two O-Level subject and three A-Level subjects.

Thanks

there is no such thing as a secondary school certificate in England, you can't transfer any credit for prior study. If you want/need 3 more gcse you will have to take the gcse or igcse exams for them. You can do this as a private candidate if you teach yourself the material and pay to take the exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by randomitaliano

Thanks

You might need to do 3 more GCSE/IGCSE's.
Reply 3
Did you get a solution to your problem? Actually I am also having the same problem. I moved from Canada after completing the 11th grade, so I couldn't get the high school diploma. After that I did A-level (3 subjects). And now I'm applying for canadian universities and I'm not sure if I am eligible to apply or not. Can anyone help or has any suggestions?
Original post by mj94
Did you get a solution to your problem? Actually I am also having the same problem. I moved from Canada after completing the 11th grade, so I couldn't get the high school diploma. After that I did A-level (3 subjects). And now I'm applying for canadian universities and I'm not sure if I am eligible to apply or not. Can anyone help or has any suggestions?

No. It's much more complicated than I thought. I was trying to figure out this since college started in UK. I asked my tutor at college if those Canadian credits where possible to be transferable into GCSE, yet he had no idea if that was possible, so I guess I need to get 5 GCSEs. Everybody (at my college and elsewhere) I asked did not know how to solve my problem. Every single University in Canada has different requirements. Some Universities require 5 GCSEs, and some require less then 5. It is important that you get your GCSE in English and Math with a D grade or higher. U can do some GCSEs online if u need them! Hope this helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you for the information.
But what a waste of time. Now i have to get 5 GCSEs and then apply for universities and here I was thinking I would be going to university soon.

Quick Reply