The Student Room Group

I am a Bulgarian, AMA.

Ask me any question you have, I'll be happy to answer.

Scroll to see replies

Have you experienced discrimination against eastern europeans since coming to the UK? Are you often lumped in with 'the Rumanians' or 'the Poles' by people?
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Have you experienced discrimination against eastern europeans since coming to the UK? Are you often lumped in with 'the Rumanians' or 'the Poles' by people?

Well, I am not in the U.K. yet, but I've had my fair share of travelling around Europe and have not experienced discrimination. It is true that we're associated with the Romanians, and if there's any negatives against us, they are not because of the real Bulgarians, but because of the gypsies that invaded the West, especially after we entered the EU, so that they can live on better well-fare.

The stupidest thing is, those gypsies live on the taxpayer's money. I know a certain number of people from this... minority (although they might become a majority soon), and all but one receive well-fare AND pension for allegedly being unable to work bigger, both bigger than the pension the average pensioner gets. The normal pension here is around 200 BGN, which is less than £100! Aren't the elderly supposed to live their retirement happily? This money will probably cover their bills and nothing more; they need money for drugs, and God forbid they decide they want to eat something. We're talking about people who have paid taxes their entire lives and have decades of work experience. It's infuriating to think about this so I'll stop the rant here but if you have any questions on that, I'll be happy to discuss them.

TL;DR, I haven't experienced discrimination, and usually what people identify Bulgaria with are the sandy beaches, cheap booze and pretty girls. Most of those who say they hate Bulgarians don't know a single one and draw conclusions from the gypsies. I'm not judging though. If it were me, I would have too!
Original post by denkata
Well, I am not in the U.K. yet, but I've had my fair share of travelling around Europe and have not experienced discrimination. It is true that we're associated with the Romanians, and if there's any negatives against us, they are not because of the real Bulgarians, but because of the gypsies that invaded the West, especially after we entered the EU, so that they can live on better well-fare.

The stupidest thing is, those gypsies live on the taxpayer's money. I know a certain number of people from this... minority (although they might become a majority soon), and all but one receive well-fare AND pension for allegedly being unable to work bigger, both bigger than the pension the average pensioner gets. The normal pension here is around 200 BGN, which is less than £100! Aren't the elderly supposed to live their retirement happily? This money will probably cover their bills and nothing more; they need money for drugs, and God forbid they decide they want to eat something. We're talking about people who have paid taxes their entire lives and have decades of work experience. It's infuriating to think about this so I'll stop the rant here but if you have any questions on that, I'll be happy to discuss them.

TL;DR, I haven't experienced discrimination, and usually what people identify Bulgaria with are the sandy beaches, cheap booze and pretty girls. Most of those who say they hate Bulgarians don't know a single one and draw conclusions from the gypsies. I'm not judging though. If it were me, I would have too!

It's nice that weren't discriminated against, it's a shame you can't treat the Roma (don't call them gypsies) with the same respect. You wouldn't like people saying Bulgarians live on taxpayer's money and aren't proper Europeans, so don't say that about other people. :dong:
Reply 4
One of my best friends is Bulgarian, and I agree with your point on the Romany Gypsies, it's hard to understand if you don't know it first hand! But yes, a lovely country with interesting customs and values; probably the most patriotic country in the world!
Reply 5
Original post by Snufkin
It's nice that weren't discriminated against, it's a shame you can't treat the Roma (don't call them gypsies) with the same respect. You wouldn't like people saying Bulgarians live on taxpayer's money and aren't proper Europeans, so don't say that about other people. :dong:

Point taken, but perhaps I haven't phrased it well. As I said, the majority of them, not all. Of course there are some who don't abuse the system, and there are Bulgarians who do. Unfortunately, things are getting worse and worse each year. The ghettos get bigger, and whenever the municipality tries to do something about it, the Roma scream 'discrimination' and then the government's hands are tied. And most of them are PROUD of what they're doing, that's what's terrible.

I treat the ones who work or study with the same respect I would a fellow Bulgarian, Brit, American, German, pick a nationality. But if you're not going to follow the rules, constantly beat and mug people, rape girls, etc., I won't treat you with respect.

So, yes, I don't treat the ones who think they are above the law with the same respect. Is that hypocritical? Not in my eyes, you tell me. If you are a nice person, I don't care about your ethnicity or nationality.
Reply 6
Original post by AJP98
One of my best friends is Bulgarian, and I agree with your point on the Romany Gypsies, it's hard to understand if you don't know it first hand! But yes, a lovely country with interesting customs and values; probably the most patriotic country in the world!

Thank you! It's really nice to hear that you find our customs interesting. I think the Americans beat us on the patriotic front (The youth here doesn't seem to care about the country at all).
Reply 7
Original post by denkata
Thank you! It's really nice to hear that you find our customs interesting. I think the Americans beat us on the patriotic front (The youth here doesn't seem to care about the country at all).

Maybe, but I only say so because the pwople I have met that are Bulgarian adore their country, our whole school even celebrated your holiday of wearing the little red and white wool dolls on our blazers until the first tree bloomed on school site:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by AJP98
Maybe, but I only say so because the pwople I have met that are Bulgarian adore their country, our whole school even celebrated your holiday of wearing the little red and white wool dolls on our blazers until the first tree bloomed on school site:smile:

You've warmed my heart. :colondollar: I love Baba Martha, although at one point I have too man martenitsas on my hands. I've always taken it off the first time I saw a stork or a swallow and then hung it on a the nearest tree. It's like geocaching. :smile:
Original post by denkata
Point taken, but perhaps I haven't phrased it well. As I said, the majority of them, not all. Of course there are some who don't abuse the system, and there are Bulgarians who do. Unfortunately, things are getting worse and worse each year. The ghettos get bigger, and whenever the municipality tries to do something about it, the Roma scream 'discrimination' and then the government's hands are tied. And most of them are PROUD of what they're doing, that's what's terrible.

I treat the ones who work or study with the same respect I would a fellow Bulgarian, Brit, American, German, pick a nationality. But if you're not going to follow the rules, constantly beat and mug people, rape girls, etc., I won't treat you with respect.

So, yes, I don't treat the ones who think they are above the law with the same respect. Is that hypocritical? Not in my eyes, you tell me. If you are a nice person, I don't care about your ethnicity or nationality.

Saying a majority of people behave in a certain way is, frankly, racist. You are literally judging an entire people by the actions of a few. It simply isn't true that the majority of Roma are fraudulently taking taxpayer's money/are thugs/rapists/criminals etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by denkata
You've warmed my heart. :colondollar: I love Baba Martha, although at one point I have too man martenitsas on my hands. I've always taken it off the first time I saw a stork or a swallow and then hung it on a the nearest tree. It's like geocaching. :smile:

It's a lovely tradition! :smile:
Are there are a lot of kebabs in Bulgaria?
Reply 12
Original post by Snufkin
Saying a majority of people behave in a certain way is, frankly, racist. You are literally judging an entire people by the actions of a few. It simply isn't true that the majority of Roma are fraudulently taking taxpayer's money, arecthugs/rapists/criminals etc.

I am speaking from my own observations, I have met enough of them. I don't know what the situation is like in the U.K., but here that's how it is. And if 60 percent are one of the aforementioned, isn't that the majority? Didn't the majority choose to leave the EU (that's an even closer call)?
Reply 13
Original post by Mr Moon Man
Are there are a lot of kebabs in Bulgaria?

Yep. :wink: But define kebab, you mean the Shish Kebab or the Doner one? The former is mainly in restaurants and pubs. The latter is more or less street food.
Original post by denkata
I am speaking from my own observations, I have met enough of them. I don't know what the situation is like in the U.K., but here that's how it is. And if 60 percent are one of the aforementioned, isn't that the majority? Didn't the majority choose to leave the EU (that's an even closer call)?

Don't listen to these people, pikeys are scum, they don't contribute to society whatsoever.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by denkata
Yep. :wink: But define kebab, you mean the Shish Kebab or the Doner one? The former is mainly in restaurants and pubs. The latter is more or less street food.

I'm talking about Turks.
Original post by denkata

There are between and 10 and 14 million Romani people in Europe, saying the majority of them are criminals is absolutely ridiculous. I suggest you refrain from using words like 'most' and 'majority' when talking about a group of people.
Reply 17
Original post by Snufkin
There are between and 10 and 14 million Romani people in Europe, saying the majority of them are criminals is absolutely ridiculous. I suggest you refrain from using words like 'most' and 'majority' when talking about a group of people.

I'm speaking about the ones here, in Bulgaria. Let's stop this discussion here as it might get ugly.

No hard feelings.
Reply 18
Original post by Mr Moon Man
I'm talking about Turks.

If you want some, you're never further than a 10-minute walk from getting it in the city. :smile:
Is Hristo Stoichkov the most famous Bulgarian? I can't think of any others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending