The Student Room Group

Maths resit help?

I got a B in the June series, which I was quite disappointed with, and so decided to retake, the exams are this week, so does anybody have any last minute tips for revision, or to remember in the exam, or something to do to help me get A/A* this time around? Thankyou in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by AnonymousEric
I got a B in the June series, which I was quite disappointed with, and so decided to retake, the exams are this week, so does anybody have any last minute tips for revision, or to remember in the exam, or something to do to help me get A/A* this time around? Thankyou in advance.

This is literally me, I got a B too which really disappointed me as my target was to get an A or A*.I think the best thing is just to do papers and look through your old exercise books as they have everything in, what is also helpful is to get onto a website that has the solutions as well as the answers so it shows you the proper workings. Sorry it's not the best advice but that's what I'm doing.:smile: I'm retaking because an A would look better on my CV when applying to uni and my dream would be to go somewhere like Cambridge or Durham . Good luck this week !!!!
Original post by skye99
This is literally me, I got a B too which really disappointed me as my target was to get an A or A*.I think the best thing is just to do papers and look through your old exercise books as they have everything in, what is also helpful is to get onto a website that has the solutions as well as the answers so it shows you the proper workings. Sorry it's not the best advice but that's what I'm doing. I'm retaking because an A would look better on my CV when applying to uni and my dream would be to go somewhere like Cambridge or Durham . Good luck this week !!!!

We share the same dream haha, though if I'm being honest, my GCSE's aren't great, so I'm trying to boost up my CV with an A in Maths, like you. Thankyou, I'll try do that, and best of luck to you too.😀
Reply 3
We share the same dream haha, though if I'm being honest, my GCSE's aren't great, so I'm trying to boost up my CV with an A in Maths, like you. Thankyou, I'll try do that, and best of luck to you too.😀

How did you think it went today ? Was it just me or were some parts really hard even earlier on in the paper ? :frown:
Original post by skye99
How did you think it went today ? Was it just me or were some parts really hard even earlier on in the paper ? :frown:

Thankyou, yes, I thought it was a horrible paper. I definitely missed a few, if not a lot of easy marks in the first half, which is where I usually get 95%+ correct. And some of the later stuff was frankly rediculously hard, at best I got mid sixties for id say, and you?
Reply 5
Thankyou, yes, I thought it was a horrible paper. I definitely missed a few, if not a lot of easy marks in the first half, which is where I usually get 95%+ correct. And some of the later stuff was frankly rediculously hard, at best I got mid sixties for id say, and you?

That's the same with me I definitely dropped marks early on which is so annoying but some of the questions at the end I thought were so challenging2 questions I couldn't answer and about 3 my answers are completely wrong.I've done so many practice papers yet I swear that this was the hardest one i've sat !What is so aweful is that on question 14 you needed tracing paper to transform the shape in order to answer it but I wasn't given tracing paper so I asked the invidgilator and she said no sorry we don't have any and gave me a tissue, a TISSUE like what the hell it's opaque I couldn't even see through it ! So that's another 3 marks I've lost :frown:
Original post by skye99
That's the same with me I definitely dropped marks early on which is so annoying but some of the questions at the end I thought were so challenging2 questions I couldn't answer and about 3 my answers are completely wrong.I've done so many practice papers yet I swear that this was the hardest one i've sat !What is so aweful is that on question 14 you needed tracing paper to transform the shape in order to answer it but I wasn't given tracing paper so I asked the invidgilator and she said no sorry we don't have any and gave me a tissue, a TISSUE like what the hell it's opaque I couldn't even see through it ! So that's another 3 marks I've lost :frown:

Yep, the ones at the end were an absolute joke, there was something like 4 questions in a row, where at best I got 2 marks in them. And doesn't help that a lot of the stuff I'd never even seen or attempted before. Some of the early stuff was hard, and I think I did the first question wrong. I also forgot about angle rules, and some really simple stuff like the pond question which I got wrong, when 99/100 times I'd get it right, I'm so annoyed at myself, and the exam board.
Reply 7
Yep, the ones at the end were an absolute joke, there was something like 4 questions in a row, where at best I got 2 marks in them. And doesn't help that a lot of the stuff I'd never even seen or attempted before. Some of the early stuff was hard, and I think I did the first question wrong. I also forgot about angle rules, and some really simple stuff like the pond question which I got wrong, when 99/100 times I'd get it right, I'm so annoyed at myself, and the exam board.

Me too especially as with 4 A Levels as well revision has proved a challenge and I have just spent all of my time doing maths which sounds really sad :,) Anyway we have Friday as well I just hope that one is not as cruel .Good luck with revision and good luck on Friday :smile:
Original post by skye99
Me too especially as with 4 A Levels as well revision has proved a challenge and I have just spent all of my time doing maths which sounds really sad :,) Anyway we have Friday as well I just hope that one is not as cruel .Good luck with revision and good luck on Friday :smile:

Same to you too :wink: at least we can take comfort in the fact that grade boundaries should be significant lower this year due to significantly harder paper.
Reply 9
Same to you too :wink: at least we can take comfort in the fact that grade boundaries should be significant lower this year due to significantly harder paper.

I mean I'm hoping this is the case cos I can't retake it again :,)
Original post by skye99
I mean I'm hoping this is the case cos I can't retake it again :,)

Tell me about it, really dont wanna do it again in june.

Spoiler

Reply 11
Original post by tuchaynz
Tell me about it, really dont wanna do it again in june.

Spoiler

hahah I didn't think we were able to because the spec has changed ? Next year they're bringing in aspects of further maths like differentiation and taking out things like stem and leaf and the questionnaire questions which are the best bit of the exam :,)
Original post by skye99
hahah I didn't think we were able to because the spec has changed ? Next year they're bringing in aspects of further maths like differentiation and taking out things like stem and leaf and the questionnaire questions which are the best bit of the exam :,)

We're not allowed to retake it? That can't be right, if I get a B again, I'm definitely retaking.
Original post by skye99

With edexcel I think it can be resat next year in june with the old spec and then after its the new spec, I think anyway. I'm not failing this time, no way on earth.
Reply 14
We're not allowed to retake it? That can't be right, if I get a B again, I'm definitely retaking.

Yeah same I'd be really annoyed though :,) but i'm pretty sure we can't, I could be wrong so best to ask maybe a teacher.
Reply 15
Original post by tuchaynz
With edexcel I think it can be resat next year in june with the old spec and then after its the new spec, I think anyway. I'm not failing this time, no way on earth.

I hope that's the case just as a precaution but I was told it begins in June and these November exams are the last of the old spec, i'd ask my exams officer but she scares me :,)
I decided not to resit my gcse maths this week but will be doing it in June but I'm scared because it may interfere with my Alevel exams (calculator paper same day as sociology exam)
Any advise on this on how I should structure out my revision I really want an A*
Reply 17
Original post by goal101
I decided not to resit my gcse maths this week but will be doing it in June but I'm scared because it may interfere with my Alevel exams (calculator paper same day as sociology exam)
Any advise on this on how I should structure out my revision I really want an A*

Just keep your revision ticking over so rather than cramming last minute perhaps make a checklist and do one thing every week and when you have spare time do a paper as they are the best thing to do. Something that I would emphasize though is although maths GCSE is really important and getting that grade is what you really want don't neglect your A Level subjects as ultimately they are more important.I hope this helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest