The Student Room Group

Muslims, how would you react if your friend or sibling came out?

How would you honestly react, and feel if your siblings or Muslim best friend came out to you as a lesbian/gay?

Would you support them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
How would you honestly react, and feel if your siblings or Muslim best friend came out to you as a lesbian/gay?

Would you support them?

being a Muslim i dont judge people based on what they identify as. If my siblings came out i would support them no matter what as they are family and i would never hurt family
Original post by Anonymous
I would kill them

Any particular reason why?

*i am not being judgemental here*
It wouldn't bother me. I'd do my very best to support and be happy for them. It's not for me to judge anyone. :smile:
Reply 4
Also I think there is nothing in the Quran regarding or against lesbian women?

Sura lut(lot) is regarding gay men.
As a muslim I think I would go by 'live and let live'. I would still support them because they are my family/best friends and are very very important to me. They must be going through a pretty rough time too, and probably found it very difficult to come out. If someone trusted me enough to tell me, I wouldn't throw it back in their face by being nasty. As far as religion goes I would calmly tell them about it but in the end it's their decision and ultimately I'm not going to get judged for someone else's actions.
Reply 6
i'd pack their **** and

Spoiler

Quick query for genuine Muslims answering this question. A colleague of mine seems quite devout (his Facebook has a lot of Islamic scripture quoted/liked, talks about it a bit etc) and his viewpoint is that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, or whatever you'd call it, as in it is a conscious decision to have sexual relations with a man and that it is not an uncontrollable sexuality. It's not that he's separating being gay and acting on it, he thinks being gay in of itself is a conscious decision. He obviously says we at times and tries to speak for other Muslims. Now I imagine some believe this and some don't, is there any basis for that belief though from scripture?
Original post by joey11223
Quick query for genuine Muslims answering this question. A colleague of mine seems quite devout (his Facebook has a lot of Islamic scripture quoted/liked, talks about it a bit etc) and his viewpoint is that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, or whatever you'd call it, as in it is a conscious decision to have sexual relations with a man and that it is not an uncontrollable sexuality. It's not that he's separating being gay and acting on it, he thinks being gay in of itself is a conscious decision. He obviously says we at times and tries to speak for other Muslims. Now I imagine some believe this and some don't, is there any basis for that belief though from scripture?

There is no scripture that says being gay is a lifestyle. However, in it is mentioned in the Quran that a certain group of people (qaum lut) were punished, and one the reasons being that men slept with each other. It will be illogical to punish someone for something they can't control, e.g. it is absurd to punish someone for being short. However (unfortunately) I could see where your colleague is coming from, I have seen to many homosexuals claiming that they "discovered" their sexual identity in college or when they "experimented", just because someone preferred having sex with the same gender doesn't mean that they're born homosexuals. I literally find insurmountable amounts of people who have had heterosexual physical relationships in the past, but they now identify as gay because the sex is better. Some even have children and are divorced! So I can see why many people would claim that it's a lifestyle.
Original post by Dominator1
Some even have children and are divorced! So I can see why many people would claim that it's a lifestyle.

Tbf I actually know two men in this exact position (one is very late 30's, possibly 40 now I think) and another is in his fifties. For the former the reason he married a woman and had a child is because where he was brought up he felt that if anyone was aware of his sexuality he'd be at risk of severe physical attacks by others in the community including his own family (and this just a white british guy from a working class neighborhood). So he forced himself to live a lie for a while, and just couldn't do it a few years later, part of him hoped if he kept trying to convince himself he'd lose his homosexuality. Unsure if the latters reasoning was the exact same, but it wouldn't shock me if it was.
(edited 7 years ago)
Idk what I will do probz go to a mufti and see how I can help them.
Original post by Conceited
I'm not sure about scripture but it's certainly isn't a choice. Think about it. Why would anyone choose to come out willingly knowing they'd face being seen negatively, estranged, killed, shut out from society etc.? Even if it were a choice, who are we to interfere in someones life?

I did try and tactfully raise the point with him that it seems quite illogical for anyone to choose homosexuality in quite a few Middle Eastern or African nations, because it's often illegal and can result in death in some countries, if not from the state itself than from lynch mobs of those who see it as disgusting, sinful etc. But he just shrugged and said it was still their lifestyle. No point keeping the discussion going if you know you're speaking to someone who has their views set in stone...or scripture as they'd likely believe.
Tbf I actually know two men in this exact position (one is very late 30's, possibly 40 now I think) and another is in his fifties. For the former the reason he married a woman and had a child is because where he was brought up he felt that if anyone was aware of his sexuality he'd be at risk of severe physical attacks by others in the community including his own family (and this just a white british guy from a working class neighborhood). So he forced himself to live a lie for a while, and just couldn't do it a few years later, part of him hoped if he kept trying to convince himself he'd lose his homosexuality. Unsure if the latters reasoning was the exact same, but it wouldn't shock me if it was.

You have to understand that people tend to exaggerate their feelings in their stories to get a more dramatic effect, or so they can be seen as heroes.I still can't see how he could have children if he's gay. For me personally I cannot under any circumstances have a boner or sustain one if I'm looking at a man.
You have to understand that people tend to exaggerate their feelings in their stories to get a more dramatic effect, or so they can be seen as heroes.I still can't see how he could have children if he's gay. For me personally I cannot under any circumstances have a bonor or sustain one if I'm looking at a man.

I see what you're saying, but I've known the guy for quite some time, he is on speaking terms with the mother of his child and admitted that. I have no reason to believe he's fabricating the situation, he certainly has no interest in females now he's been openly homosexual for some time.

Their sexual relationship was pretty much non-existent anyway, but although you're obviously saying it would be difficult to get an erection or sustain one. If you closed your eyes and someone gave you a handjob/blowjob, you'd probably find you would get erect and sustain it. In the same way that if you really weren't in the mood but a girl started with foreplay and then went on top, at least some of the time (i'd wager a significant amount) you'd probably maintain that erection from stimulation in itself even if you weren't in the mindset to (although a different situation, the same sort of thing which can cause a woman to get wet and even orgasm if she's being sexually assaulted).

A different situation as well but I have a particular paraphilia which is a significant part of my sexuality, I didn't choose it but I would say i "discovered" what it was, in that in early puberty it was on my mind, but the extent of it didn't sink in right away.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14

no
only thing in the scripture referring to homosexuality was referring to the people of lot, who were thiefs and rapists and were punished for their since - it so happened that they were men committing homosexual rape. Other than that nothing really.

You should tell your friend to prove it's a conscious decision by making himself gay for like a day and get a boner when lookin at a hot guy
- if he fails it's obv not

i mean gays are being thrown off towers in ME - you think they'd rather choose that than be straight?
Original post by z33
no
only thing in the scripture referring to homosexuality was referring to the people of lot, who were thiefs and rapists and were punished for their since - it so happened that they were men committing homosexual rape. Other than that nothing really.

You should tell your friend to prove it's a conscious decision by making himself gay for like a day and get a boner when lookin at a hot guy
- if he fails it's obv not

i mean gays are being thrown off towers in ME - you think they'd rather choose that than be straight?

Lol I tried, used to joke when the girls were talking about a hot guy that I'd rate him out of 10 tomorrow, because I always find I can't decide to be gay that day if it\s already past 9am.

I suppose for being thrown off towers the argument would be they're the ones acting on it? (not that that's a defence)
I see what you're saying, but I've known the guy for quite some time, he is on speaking terms with the mother of his child and admitted that. I have no reason to believe he's fabricating the situation, he certainly has no interest in females now he's been openly homosexual for some time.

Their sexual relationship was pretty much non-existent anyway, but although you're obviously saying it would be difficult to get an erection or sustain one. If you closed your eyes and someone gave you a handjob/blowjob, you'd probably find you would get erect and sustain it. In the same way that if you really weren't in the mood but a girl started with foreplay and then went on top, at least some of the time (i'd wager a significant amount) you'd probably maintain that erection from stimulation in itself even if you weren't in the mindset to (although a different situation, the same sort of thing which can cause a woman to get wet and even orgasm if she's being sexually assaulted).

A different situation as well but I have a particular paraphilia which is a significant part of my sexuality, I didn't choose it but I would say i "discovered" what it was, in that in early puberty it was on my mind, but the extent of it didn't sink in right away.

But in that way you could justify something like beastiality. If one is sexually attracted to animals then why is it considered wrong?
Reply 17
Lol I tried, used to joke when the girls were talking about a hot guy that I'd rate him out of 10 tomorrow, because I always find I can't decide to be gay that day if it\s already past 9am.

I suppose for being thrown off towers the argument would be they're the ones acting on it? (not that that's a defence)

ask him if it was an alternate reality if he'd be able to remain celibate his whole life while all the guys are sleeping with guys and girls with girls, or if he would try to make love to the love of his life in secret with the risk of people finding out
But in that way you could justify something like beastiality. If one is sexually attracted to animals then why is it considered wrong?

I would wager the main aspect of why beastiality is wrong the idea that the animal cannot consent to the situation as it doesn't have the same level of sentience. If an alien species visited earth then any sex with humans would be beastiality (until potentially a new word was made), but if they were intelligent and self aware although potentially taboo, it probably wouldn't be illegal.

In fact although taboo, there have been some cases in higher animals were courts have decided in the defendants favour. A man who masturbated a dolphin had expert testimony that the dolphin likely enjoyed it and they as a species appear to have sex for pleasure.

Not my cup of tea and it makes me cringe, but then I don't have that paraphilia.
Original post by Conceited
Reason one - Disease.

Reason two - Consent.

Reason three - It's weird.

Disease is not the biggest issue, STDs exist among humans. Bend over for a male dog and he will literally try to **** you. Why is weird?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending