The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Entry into Edinburgh University

Hey guys,

Before I go into my question I think I should give some relevant information about myself :
- I am 18 years old and has finished Highschool
- I am not considered a mature student/adult returner
- My qualifications are really low and I don't even have a single Higher
- I am a resident in Scotland

I have been trying to explore different entry routes into Edinburgh University to study the MA Japanese degree but it seems like all those other options are not available to me because I'm not considered an adult returner yet. To be considered an adult returner would mean I will have to stay away from education for 3 years in a row and this is something I would definitely try to avoid!

I believe my only possible entry route into Edinburgh University is to achieve AABB Highers in one sitting which I really want to do but to my knowledge the Edinburgh College will only allow allow you to take 2 highers per year so I can not complete the 4 highers in one sitting...

So my questions is how can I overcome this predicament of not being able to study 4 highers in one sitting?

Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!
Original post by Please helpp
Hey guys,

Before I go into my question I think I should give some relevant information about myself :
- I am 18 years old and has finished Highschool
- I am not considered a mature student/adult returner
- My qualifications are really low and I don't even have a single Higher
- I am a resident in Scotland

I have been trying to explore different entry routes into Edinburgh University to study the MA Japanese degree but it seems like all those other options are not available to me because I'm not considered an adult returner yet. To be considered an adult returner would mean I will have to stay away from education for 3 years in a row and this is something I would definitely try to avoid!

I believe my only possible entry route into Edinburgh University is to achieve AABB Highers in one sitting which I really want to do but to my knowledge the Edinburgh College will only allow allow you to take 2 highers per year so I can not complete the 4 highers in one sitting...

So my questions is how can I overcome this predicament of not being able to study 4 highers in one sitting?

Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!

Go to another college that offers 4 highers. Plenty of them in Edinburgh and Glasgow that offer this surely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by RossB1702
Go to another college that offers 4 highers. Plenty of them in Edinburgh and Glasgow that offer this surely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply! :smile:

I have looked at studying at different colleges in Scotland but it seems like they also have a limit for how many Highers you can take in a year. I have been told it is because of "timetabling requirements".

I've actually considered taking 2 highers from 2 different colleges at the same time but I believe that will most likely cause timetabling difficulties.
Thanks for your reply! :smile:

I have looked at studying at different colleges in Scotland but it seems like they also have a limit for how many Highers you can take in a year. I have been told it is because of "timetabling requirements".

I've actually considered taking 2 highers from 2 different colleges at the same time but I believe that will most likely cause timetabling difficulties.

There's lots of options. You could self study the other 2 highers and perhaps get a tutor on certain days of the week. May I ask which subjects it is ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by RossB1702
There's lots of options. You could self study the other 2 highers and perhaps get a tutor on certain days of the week. May I ask which subjects it is ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good suggestion, thanks! I will look into this.

I plan on taking:
- Higher English
- Higher Biology/Human Biology
- Higher Psychology
- Higher Photography/ Sociology
- National 5 French (I need an A grade pass in a foreign language to meet the minimal requirement)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I understand returning applying to university as a 'mature student' is something you're trying to avoid but I know a lot of people who got into Edinburgh/Aberdeen etc., through their college Access to university scheme which only takes a year/2 years. Maybe do something in that time period, travel, go to college?

Your situation is quite complicated as I understand the maximum of 2 but if you are really desperate you could go to 2 colleges and learn 2 subjects at each college. Or do 2 at college and self-teach the other 2.

I plan on taking:
- Higher English
- Higher Psychology
- National 5 French (I need an A grade pass in a foreign language to meet the minimal requirement)

Well good luck
Reply 7
Original post by finlay4
I understand returning applying to university as a 'mature student' is something you're trying to avoid but I know a lot of people who got into Edinburgh/Aberdeen etc., through their college Access to university scheme which only takes a year/2 years. Maybe do something in that time period, travel, go to college?

Your situation is quite complicated as I understand the maximum of 2 but if you are really desperate you could go to 2 colleges and learn 2 subjects at each college. Or do 2 at college and self-teach the other 2.

Thank you for also replying!

I was originally planning on waiting until I can apply as a mature student but after some recent events. I decided to look at other options. I will keep the "mature student plan" as a "back-up" if no other options are available to me this year.

Self studying sounds like my best bet in trying to study 4 Highers in one sitting.
Would you be able to tell me more about how I can self study Highers? Would I have to register with an educational institution and let them know?

Thanks again!

I plan on taking:
- Higher English
- Higher Psychology

Could you not take a language at Higher to improve your chances?

Don't take Higher photography as it is not an "approved" Higher for entry (except for art and design )

Have a look here for further details

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/entry-requirements/approved-subjects

http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/master_list_of_subjects_-_highers_-_updated_march_2015.pdf
Reply 9
Original post by watchingyouwatch
Could you not take a language at Higher to improve your chances?

Don't take Higher photography as it is not an "approved" Higher for entry (except for art and design )

Have a look here for further details

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/entry-requirements/approved-subjects

http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/master_list_of_subjects_-_highers_-_updated_march_2015.pdf

Unfortunately I am unable to apply for any Higher languages due to not having completed National 5/ Intermediate 2 to progress onto Highers but I do plan on taking other types of examinations such as the Japanese Language Proficiency test.

Thanks for telling my about not taking Higher Photography. I remember hearing about this from somewhere when I was in High school. I am glad I decided to make a post here. :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 10
Thank you for also replying!

I was originally planning on waiting until I can apply as a mature student but after some recent events. I decided to look at other options. I will keep the "mature student plan" as a "back-up" if no other options are available to me this year.

Self studying sounds like my best bet in trying to study 4 Highers in one sitting.
Would you be able to tell me more about how I can self study Highers? Would I have to register with an educational institution and let them know?

Thanks again!

Yeah I think you would probably register with either of your colleges and they would technically put you forward for the exam but you would be teachings yourself The course from online, textbooks etc., however I am not 100% as I personally never have self taught but I know people who have and they were registered with my school
I just want to say thank you to everyone who posted here!

I have been emailing different institutions and career advisers since February 2016 regarding about entry routes into University but it has been a difficult experience for me due to the vague response I have been getting.

I looked into the possibility of taking external examinations as an external candidate and I called the SQA just now to find out more about it and now I know how I can proceed with my path to Edinburgh University.

Posting here in less than 24 hours has more helpful than the past 9 months.

Thanks again! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending