The Student Room Group

Is Mechanics A level needed for electrical engineering?

I have been looking at engineering during the half term holidays and I saw that it required maths a level. I was just wondering whether mechanics is needed as I struggle with mechanics but I do Physics, Chemistry and Biology as well. I was wanting to change to statistics (my teacher said I could if I wanted to) as I don't want to end up with a bad grade in Maths overall after A-Levels. I am getting good marks in core maths and I am an algebra type of person. So would changing to statistics be a good idea or do i need to do mechanics for engineering?
Original post by Want_To_Achieve
I have been looking at engineering during the half term holidays and I saw that it required maths a level. I was just wondering whether mechanics is needed as I struggle with mechanics but I do Physics, Chemistry and Biology as well. I was wanting to change to statistics (my teacher said I could if I wanted to) as I don't want to end up with a bad grade in Maths overall after A-Levels. I am getting good marks in core maths and I am an algebra type of person. So would changing to statistics be a good idea or do i need to do mechanics for engineering?

If anything, it'll be useful for the mechanical modules which you may cover during the early part of your degree.
Original post by Smack
If anything, it'll be useful for the mechanical modules which you may cover during the early part of your degree.

But is it required to do Electrical Engineering??
But is it required to do Electrical Engineering??

No, it's not required universities just prefer them. You will not be at a disadvantage if you haven't taken mechanics.
Original post by TSR Shiraaz
No, it's not required universities just prefer them. You will not be at a disadvantage if you haven't taken mechanics.

So if I change to Statistics as I am finding Mechanics hard, will I still be able to apply for engineering courses like electrical engineering? I am only doing so as I have failed Mechanics test but my core maths is at good marks and my teacher said I could change to statistics as it is apparently easier.
So if I change to Statistics as I am finding Mechanics hard, will I still be able to apply for engineering courses like electrical engineering? I am only doing so as I have failed Mechanics test but my core maths is at good marks and my teacher said I could change to statistics as it is apparently easier.

Yes you can. Are you also doing Further Maths?
Yes you can. Are you also doing Further Maths?

Nope. Doing Bio,Chem,Phys and Maths.
Nope. Doing Bio,Chem,Phys and Maths.

Ah. Not going to lie if your only doing Maths it would be better to do Mechanics if you were doing FM as well then it didn't really matter too much.
Ah. Not going to lie if your only doing Maths it would be better to do Mechanics if you were doing FM as well then it didn't really matter too much.

Oh well. I will have to persuade my teacher to let me carry on with Mechanics then. But are you sure that I will need Mechanics as Unis don't state mechanics as a requirement, it just says "A Level Mathematics".
Oh well. I will have to persuade my teacher to let me carry on with Mechanics then. But are you sure that I will need Mechanics as Unis don't state mechanics as a requirement, it just says "A Level Mathematics".

You don't have to keep it. It's just when an applicant it doing Maths not FM they would prefer them to have Mechanics you will not be rejected if you don't have Mechanics so long you have a good grade in Maths.
You don't have to keep it. It's just when an applicant it doing Maths not FM they would prefer them to have Mechanics you will not be rejected if you don't have Mechanics so long you have a good grade in Maths.

Really appreciate the advice. So as long as I get the required grades for engineering am I ok by doing stats not mechanics?
Really appreciate the advice. So as long as I get the required grades for engineering am I ok by doing stats not mechanics?

Welcome. :smile: Generally yes you should be ok but it depends on what universities you are going to apply to. Consult with them first, then make a decision.

Quick Reply

Latest