The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow vs University of Nottingham

So atm I'm holding offers from both of these unis (Glasgow for English Lang and Lit and Nottingham for English and French). Glasgow ask for AA (I've already achieved a B) and Nottingham are asking for BB (which I think I could actually get as opposed to two As). I've heard from my cousins who went to Glasgow that the uni was nicer and from the pictures, it does look really beautiful. I've been to Nottingham's open day and I really liked the campus and the English syllabus but I feel the same way about Glasgow's syllabus too.

My sister's recommending me to go for Nottingham because of higher job prospects and because I'll be doing a language as well)

Any advice? Pretty sure any Scottish person who sees this will say Glasgow :':wink:

@Princepieman
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Glasgow :tongue:

But nah both are good choices!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Unistudent77
Glasgow :tongue:

But nah both are good choices!

:colonhash: I knew you'd say that. I was thinking of making Glasgow my firm and Notts my insurance or something. But Glasgow is a little bit too far away for my liking if I ever have to rush home or something. But then again I could catch a plane couldn't I...
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
So atm I'm holding offers from both of these unis (Glasgow for English Lang and Lit and Nottingham for English and French). Glasgow ask for AA (I've already achieved a B) and Nottingham are asking for BB (which I think I could actually get as opposed to two As). I've heard from my cousins who went to Glasgow that the uni was nicer and from the pictures, it does look really beautiful. I've been to Nottingham's open day and I really liked the campus and the English syllabus but I feel the same way about Glasgow's syllabus too.

My sister's recommending me to got for Nottingham because of higher job prospects and because I'll be doing a language as well)

Any advice? Pretty sure any Scottish person who sees this will say Glasgow :':wink:

@Princepieman

I would say Nottingham because of the lower grade requirements, I'm pretty sure it's also a Russell group, and as you've said it's got high job prospects as a result of doing a language

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by littlemix012
I would say Nottingham because of the lower grade requirements, I'm pretty sure it's also a Russell group, and as you've said it's got high job prospects as a result of doing a language

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's an RG like Glasgow..
Reply 5
Nottingham has a better reputation than Glasgow in general, plus it has lower entry requirements for your course.

My sister's recommending me to got for Nottingham because of higher job prospects and because I'll be doing a language as well)

@Princepieman

Both are very good but I'd say Nottingham.
Yeah it's an RG like Glasgow..

Ah okay, well everyone is here is in favour of Nottingham so far haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I think you may be slightly overlooking the fact you have two completely different degree course components there, so maybe you need to consider which one you prefer: English Language and French. I'm a Linguistics student if you want to ask any questions about English Language at university :-)

Congratulations, my lovely, on your offers. I'm so pleased for you :-)
And...image.jpg
[QUOTE=MrsSheldonCooper;68295676]:colonhash: I knew you'd say that. I was thinking of making Glasgow my firm and Notts my insurance or something. But Glasgow is a little bit too far away for my liking if I ever have to rush home or something. But then again I could catch a plane couldn't I...

55 min to London on plane.

Nightlife in Glasgow better than in Nottingham by a mile.

Not that Nottingham has a poor setup just that Glasgow is up there with the absolute best.

The people in Glasgow are 10/10, they make the city

Tbh, you'll enjoy both. Both are good universities.

Idk how much being an RG matters, depends on what you want to do post uni but they both are so whatever.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Well I think you may be slightly overlooking the fact you have two completely different degree course components there, so maybe you need to consider which one you prefer: English Language and French. I'm a Linguistics student if you want to ask any questions about English Language at university :-)

Congratulations, my lovely, on your offers. I'm so pleased for you :-)

Yeah I really want to learn about psycholinguistics but I think Nottingham do a module in that.. What kind of essay questions do you get? Thank you! x
And...image.jpg

Oh Lord he's the happiest thing in the world. I want a Thatcher in my life :3

55 min to London on plane.

Nightlife in Glasgow better than in Nottingham by a mile.

Not that Nottingham has a poor setup just that Glasgow is up there with the absolute best.

Tbh, you'll enjoy both. Both are good universities.

Idk how much being an RG matters, depends on what you want to do post uni but they both are so whatever.

And the accents are better. I want to work in publishing or become a professor. Maybe I'd do my MA at Glasgow if I pick Notts. But I've heard amazing things about Glasgow's nightlife.

If I do pick Notts though, can I visit your dogs? I miss them.

@Princepieman

Both are fab unis, the only reasonable difference is Notts would be the better option if a career in high finance is something you'd be interested in - other than that, I don't think the job prospects are any different. Glasgow's campus is indeed really pretty and in an awesome part (the posh part) of the city; however, I wouldn't base a decision on the campus - base it on something more tangible like the course structure (Scottish degrees are 4 years long, first two years you do a variety of subjects etc vs a straight 3 year course in an English uni), location (is it a bad thing if the uni is far from home?), socieities on offer etc.

That's my two cents anyway, huge congrats on getting those offers!
Yeah I really want to learn about psycholinguistics but I think Nottingham do a module in that.. What kind of essay questions do you get? Thank you! x

Oh Lord he's the happiest thing in the world. I want a Thatcher in my life :3

Ok so it depends whether what you're studying in theoretical or sociolinguistics - the latter asks you to discuss theories, comment on research and whether you agree with it etc. The former you usually get problem sets or experiments to undertake. Most fascinating three years of my life :-)
[QUOTE=MrsSheldonCooper;68296556]
And the accents are better. I want to work in publishing or become a professor. Maybe I'd do my MA at Glasgow if I pick Notts. But I've heard amazing things about Glasgow's nightlife.

If I do pick Notts though, can I visit your dogs? I miss them.

That sounds a decent idea.
Make Glasgow your firm and Notts your insurance

And Notts isn't near where i live so good luck with that :tongue:
I'm at Glasgow and it's a great environment here. Keep in mind that in your first two years its compulsory for you to study 3 subjects in first year ... continue two of these into second year and then pick up a third subject. This is great for achieving an all-round education and also for the possibility that you may prefer an outside course you can continue this to degree level. Here at Glasgow you would be able to study English Lit, Lang and French or any other combination in your first year :smile:
Original post by Princepieman
Both are fab unis, the only reasonable difference is Notts would be the better option if a career in high finance is something you'd be interested in - other than that, I don't think the job prospects are any different. Glasgow's campus is indeed really pretty and in an awesome part (the posh part) of the city; however, I wouldn't base a decision on the campus - base it on something more tangible like the course structure (Scottish degrees are 4 years long, first two years you do a variety of subjects etc vs a straight 3 year course in an English uni), location (is it a bad thing if the uni is far from home?), socieities on offer etc.

That's my two cents anyway, huge congrats on getting those offers!

Meh finance is something I doubt I'd get into. I want to be away from home but not too far away because of my dad being in frail health. I've checked out the societies from both unis and loved them. Both of them are an hour away from a National Park which is good for my hiking..

My course at Nottingham would be 4 years and I think Glasgow would be 5.. I want to be realistic though. I don't think I can get what Glasgow want but defo can get what Nottingham want.

Thank youuu

That sounds a decent idea.
Make Glasgow your firm and Notts your insurance

And Notts isn't near where i live so good luck with that

I'd do anything for your dogs bebs.
About a month ago Glascow was on my app then I dropped it for Nottingham. Can't remember why. But I've now changed my unis around and now theyre both on my list, one for two courses. I'm really interested in Scottish schools because of the different subjects you can study.
Original post by Faye__1996
I'm at Glasgow and it's a great environment here. Keep in mind that in your first two years its compulsory for you to study 3 subjects in first year ... continue two of these into second year and then pick up a third subject. This is great for achieving an all-round education and also for the possibility that you may prefer an outside course you can continue this to degree level. Here at Glasgow you would be able to study English Lit, Lang and French or any other combination in your first year :smile:

The uni looks beautiful. I've spoken to a few teachers all of them are telling me to go for Nottingham because it's slightly more recognised by Glasgow.
Ok so it depends whether what you're studying in theoretical or sociolinguistics - the latter asks you to discuss theories, comment on research and whether you agree with it etc. The former you usually get problem sets or experiments to undertake. Most fascinating three years of my life :-)

Sociolinguistics is more interesting to me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending