The Student Room Group

I'm hating Business Management... and regretting my past GCSE/ALEVEL choices...

Since GCSE i picked subjects of which i thought would look good for future employers... history, geography and Spanish. I didn't pick things I would have enjoyed: graphics, media. A levels i picked ICT (nothing creative/graphics on the course though), Geography and business studies... now I'm at university doing a business management degree because I like the idea of buying and selling... although I don't think i know what that fully entails... and have thus have a warped sense of what buying and selling involves/requires out of a person.

I want to drop out and pursue something i enjoy doing. I made a comedic video for you-tube the other night... i spent 4-5 hours on... the time flew by... I enjoyed it so much. I love the idea of creating graphics for gaming companies or perhaps films. It has really hit me today... I'd rather jump off a bridge then pursue a career in something I don't enjoy nor have the personality to pull off (aka extroverted.. outgoing businessman).

So I'm wishing i could go back and redo my courses and do graphics and media. But i can't. what i could do is go and do a college course... but I'm quite certain that costs money (went through secondary without thinking about applying to a college).

I've loved the idea of getting a job in business and earning a good wage of which would pay for stuff and attract women. I have come to a point where I don't care about that... i just want to enjoy what I do because I'd rather not exist otherwise.

I'm having a crisis. Can someone give an incite to what i should do? I really would love to go and learn how to create graphics and just spend my entire time doing that... because doing creative stuff on my computer is something I would love. But then i haven't really done it that much... but the times i have I've indulged myself and the time has flew by and i have felt a sense of completion upon doing so. Is it too late for me? (just turned 20).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by James385
Since GCSE i picked subjects of which i thought would look good for future employers... history, geography and Spanish. I didn't pick things I would have enjoyed: graphics, media. A levels i picked ICT (nothing creative/graphics on the course though), Geography and business studies... now I'm at university doing a business management degree because I like the idea of buying and selling... although I don't think i know what that fully entails... and have thus have a warped sense of what buying and selling involves/requires out of a person.

I want to drop out and pursue something i enjoy doing. I made a comedic video for you-tube the other night... i spent 4-5 hours on... the time flew by... I enjoyed it so much. I love the idea of creating graphics for gaming companies or perhaps films. It has really hit me today... I'd rather jump off a bridge then pursue a career in something I don't enjoy nor have the personality to pull off (aka extroverted.. outgoing businessman).

So I'm wishing i could go back and redo my courses and do graphics and media. But i can't. what i could do is go and do a college course... but I'm quite certain that costs money (went through secondary without thinking about applying to a college).

I've loved the idea of getting a job in business and earning a good wage of which would pay for stuff and attract women. I have come to a point where I don't care about that... i just want to enjoy what I do because I'd rather not exist otherwise.

I'm having a crisis. Can someone give an incite to what i should do? I really would love to go and learn how to create graphics and just spend my entire time doing that... because doing creative stuff on my computer is something I would love. But then i haven't really done it that much... but the times i have I've indulged myself and the time has flew by and i have felt a sense of completion upon doing so. Is it too late for me? (just turned 20).

1. Transfer to another degree altogether - will require relevant GCSE/A Levels to go on media/graphics course

or

2. Change to a 4 year joint degree i.e. Business Management and Graphics/Media - where your GCSEs/A Levels may still be eligible and there may be lower requirement for STEM subjects to take the course.

Talk to Student Support or your personal tutor.
If you don't me asking why do you hate the course and which university are you studying at at the moment?

( I am thinking of doing business management)
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by beanmaker
If you don't me asking why do you hate the course and which university are you studying at at the moment?

( I am thinking of doing business management)
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm studying at Roehampton. It is not a bad university. I don't think it's their fault. but i will say one thing... I don't know if their research is very good. Their is a module on understanding self and others... you learn about giving 'feedback' and different personality types... which doesnt sound bad but having a whole term on it (3 hours per week)... lots of people on the course are saying its a waste of time. If you are interested in being a manager.. business management you will find interesting... but if your interested in business aka finance... marketing etc... i would avoid that degree.
I'm studying at Roehampton. It is not a bad university. I don't think it's their fault. but i will say one thing... I don't know if their research is very good. Their is a module on understanding self and others... you learn about giving 'feedback' and different personality types... which doesnt sound bad but having a whole term on it (3 hours per week)... lots of people on the course are saying its a waste of time. If you are interested in being a manager.. business management you will find interesting... but if your interested in business aka finance... marketing etc... i would avoid that degree.

Yes, I'm interested in the latter but the specification at Uni of liv which I am considering doesn't sound all that bad, although would you suggest international business ?
Reply 5
Original post by ThePricklyOne
1. Transfer to another degree altogether - will require relevant GCSE/A Levels to go on media/graphics course

or

2. Change to a 4 year joint degree i.e. Business Management and Graphics/Media - where your GCSEs/A Levels may still be eligible and there may be lower requirement for STEM subjects to take the course.

Talk to Student Support or your personal tutor.

Thanks for your help! I have no interest in business so the first option is what I will be looking at. Through lots of researching the career i want to pursue is animation(to be more specific than just graphics). Jobs include game designing and CGI etc.

I spoke to a careers adviser... the options the lady gave me were do a foundation degree then join a university 3 year course. But the foundation degrees are limited and quite broad. Graphic design consists of photography, drawing (basically an arts degree).

I could do a BTEC in animation/graphics of which often take up 2 years... making me 22/23 when i would be applying to university. (I like this option because I don't want to jump start into uni without having some kind of degree on paper... plus with a BTEC it equals an A level and a half... so if i do well It will boost my ucas).
Something like this: https://www.tower.ac.uk/sixteen-to-eighteen/level-3-btec-extended-diploma-in-animation-games-design-motion-graphics

She also suggested me doing an apprentaship for a year then applying.. but I'd rather learn animation designing stuff I enjoy (aka games designing).. I would likely end up being on a boring advertising/medical graphics company also with no experience.

One idea of mine... self teach myself 3D animation and build up a portfolio and get into a 3 year degree course. But it is whether they will let me on considering i don't have qualifications in graphics etc... but then maybe if my portfolio is really good they may let me in? Eh... i will have to look into that. There are low ucas degrees in animation with a 'creative tick'.. of which i was told is really good to have for the career I'm pursing.
Reply 6
Yes, I'm interested in the latter but the specification at Uni of liv which I am considering doesn't sound all that bad, although would you suggest international business ?

Really look into the course description and ask questions to the university. I rushed to pick my uni (last minute ucas application... long story)... and ive come here disappointing with what we are studying.
At this university... everyone who is doing business with marketing, hr, international etc... all have the same first year. I personally think thats crap because lots of people are having to do the managerial crap like giving feedback to employees etc.
Really look into the course description and ask questions to the university. I rushed to pick my uni (last minute ucas application... long story)... and ive come here disappointing with what we are studying.
At this university... everyone who is doing business with marketing, hr, international etc... all have the same first year. I personally think thats crap because lots of people are having to do the managerial crap like giving feedback to employees etc.

Yep, just had a look at Roehampton and the business courses modules are extremely similar. Thanks for the advice and hope it all goes well for you pal!
Reply 8
Yep, just had a look at Roehampton and the business courses modules are extremely similar. Thanks for the advice and hope it all goes well for you pal!

Looking at other unis i think they all have a familiar setup... same first year then second year you can choose what ever.

Quick Reply

Latest