The Student Room Group

Maths at uni

I am studying maths chemistry and physics predicted A*A*A respectively. I initially wanted to do chemical engineering, however I feel that a maths degree looks more interesting. if I take Further maths in a gap year, what unis could I apply for. Because its not all in one sitting?
Original post by Chemgawd99
I am studying maths chemistry and physics predicted A*A*A respectively. I initially wanted to do chemical engineering, however I feel that a maths degree looks more interesting. if I take Further maths in a gap year, what unis could I apply for. Because its not all in one sitting?

If you have an idea of what kind of universities you will apply to after gap year ask them to see if they're ok with it.
Reply 2

You don't need FM to do maths at most universities. You would already be on target to meet the requirements for Bristol, for example.
Reply 3
All unis, except London Metropolitan, they don't do maths.... or any decent subject or course.
Original post by oShahpo
All unis, except London Metropolitan, they don't do maths.... or any decent subject or course.

Known as one of the worst universities right?
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
You don't need FM to do maths at most universities. You would already be on target to meet the requirements for Bristol, for example.

but wouldn't that mean you're missing out on a lot :? If It wasn't for the reformed A-levels, I would have picked up AS and A2
Reply 6
but wouldn't that mean you're missing out on a lot :? If It wasn't for the reformed A-levels, I would have picked up AS and A2

Missing out on what? You'll cover FM topics, and more, in your first year in any university Maths course.
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Missing out on what? You'll cover FM topics, and more, in your first year in any university Maths course.

oh ok yeah that makes a lot more sense.
not many unis require further maths!
they will cover it in the first year and you have amazing predictions so you will be sure to get in :smile:
Reply 9

any uni you want to , could even give you an advantage over other applicants as you'll already have 3 high a level results hopefully.

As a first year myself after having done FM, the first year is MOSTLY just the A-Level FM with extra bits and bobs, alongside one or two modules where it's nothing that you've ever done before. Point being, you can indeed take a gap year and cover as much FM as possible, and this will make your transition much smoother - hence being recommended by unis for a maths course. Otherwise, if you think you can absorb FM content pretty well and pretty quickly, then don't do a gap year just for FM and go to uni straight away.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest