The Student Room Group

Best A Levels for investment banking?

I'm thinking of:
1) Maths
2) Physics
3) Economics or English Literature

I can't decide between the last option and I love them both equally. Which would be best for top universities and for investment banking?
Of the two probably Economics, but have you also looked into Further Maths?
To make money come out of computers, Economics is by far preferable to English lit.
Original post by qwertyuiop99
I'm thinking of:
1) Maths
2) Physics

I can't decide between the last option and I love them both equally. Which would be best for top universities and for investment banking?

It doesn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
whatever you're interested in, those seem fine, just do well
I'm thinking of:
1) Maths
2) Physics

Those are fine. Subjects like:
-Maths
-Further Maths
-Business
-Economics
should be used.
:facepalm:

kids these days.
Original post by TSR Shiraaz
Those are fine. Subjects like:
-Maths
-Further Maths
-Business
-Economics
should be used.

contrary to popular belief from many students here this is false.

subject choice doesn't matter for most roles.. academic prowess and other factors are what's weighted. in fact, diversity in subjects is something that's sought for at the big firms. namely the banks want to see people who excel at what it is they find interesting, and who can bring varying ideas.

as someone who's seen first hand what the wrong personal subject choices can do, i'd advise picking subjects you enjoy and doing well at them, within the confines of what you're interested to study at uni. the focus is on achieving the highest grades to put you in a competitive position for the application stage of these firms.
Original post by gr8wizard10

subject choice doesn't matter for most roles.. academic prowess and other factors are what's weighted. in fact, diversity in subjects is something that's sought for at the big firms. namely the banks want to see people who excel at what it is they find interesting, and who can bring varying ideas.

as someone who's seen first hand what the wrong personal subject choices can do, i'd advise picking subjects you enjoy and doing well at them, within the confines of what you're interested to study at uni. the focus is on achieving the highest grades to put you in a competitive position for the application stage of these firms.

This

Don't they have to be atleast moderately relevant to what you want to do?
Maths
Further maths
+any two subjects (maybe Eng lit, history, physics, economics etc..)
Original post by TSR Shiraaz
Don't they have to be atleast moderately relevant to what you want to do?

to what you do at uni perhaps. there is no degree subject requirement for the majority of grad roles in high finance. that being said, university prestige is of somewhat importance in the initial filtering stage i.e attending a target school (oxbridge, lse, warwick, imperial, ucl)
to what you do at uni perhaps. there is no degree subject requirement for the majority of grad roles in high finance. that being said, university prestige is of somewhat importance in the initial filtering stage i.e attending a target school (oxbridge, lse, warwick, imperial, ucl)

Ah ok. Thank you for clarifying this for me. :smile:
Would I need further maths to get into top unis or get accepted by top banks?

You need/really should have further maths to do courses like Maths or Economics (anything with a high maths content) at a good uni.

no

unless of course you want to study maths, physics or a degree with advanced maths concepts.
Would maths,physics,history and economics be useful
Further Maths, Economics + Essay based subject
Here’s a combo

Maths, economics, French
Maths , further maths, economics
Maths, English, economics
Maths, economics, psychology
Maths, economics, geography

You get my point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending