The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Superdjman1
I also did D1 and C3.
Got 87 in C3.
I don't talk about D1...

Your uni's are going to think that you had something to hide by not declaring all your UMS scores btw, the standard advice is declare all your UMS or declare none, if you only declare some, the uni will assume the worst for the ones you didn't declare.
Original post by Zacken
Your uni's are going to think that you had something to hide by not declaring all your UMS scores btw, the standard advice is declare all your UMS or declare none, if you only declare some, the uni will assume the worst for the ones you didn't declare.

I declared all my scores in my SAQ (for Cambridge), but in my UCAS I only put down AS modules because those are the only qualifications I have achieved.
For example, my c3 module score was higher than my m2 module score but c3 goes towards my A2 and so I didn't put it down.

btw, do you know what sort of MAT score you need to be successful in applying to Imperial College to do maths
I declared all my scores in my SAQ (for Cambridge), but in my UCAS I only put down AS modules because those are the only qualifications I have achieved.
For example, my c3 module score was higher than my m2 module score but c3 goes towards my A2 and so I didn't put it down.

btw, do you know what sort of MAT score you need to be successful in applying to Imperial College to do maths

Around 60ish for
Imperial mate. But depends on the paper that moves up or down.

I did hopelessly in my MAT but I still got an offer from Imperial. I think they take other factors into account, more so than Oxbridge anyway who don't seem to even read personal statements.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I did hopelessly in my MAT but I still got an offer from Imperial. I think they take other factors into account, more so than Oxbridge anyway who don't seem to even read personal statements.

Do you know what you got and which paper you did?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Do you know what you got and which paper you did?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last year's paper, didn't ask for my mark since it would most likely only serve to lower my confidence, needed some of that for my STEP papers that summer which were actually important to me unlike the MAT.
Original post by wightsnowolf
I had the same thought about applying for Computer Science as well

You can find admissions feedback on the Department of Computer Science website. See statistical information at the bottom of the page: https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/how_to_apply/index.html
Original post by DylanJ42
hi @OxfordMathsDept i noticed the statistics on the Oxford MAT website for average for all, average for shortlisted candidates and average for successful candidates are for straight Maths applicants. Do these values vary much for the joint courses or not really?

Not really - the numbers are much smaller for the joint degrees, but the performance on the MAT is broadly similar. Going by the Maths averages on the website should be fine.
Original post by Carman3
Ive done a levels and got A*AAa will they still care about as?

I misread your original question. If you got A*AAA at A level, I don't think that will be good enough with 50 in the MAT. Oxford's average offer for maths is A*A*A, which you haven't met. To override those grades, I reckon you'd need like 85 in the MAT lol and you would need to retake modules in either maths or further maths (whichever one you only got an A in). Tbh Oxford aren't keen on retakes, so you have kind of shot yourself in the foot mate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathematician99
Your AS grades may push them towards giving you an interview, but cambridge care way more than oxford about as grades. In all years so far, the average interviewed applicant has higher than 50.

Remember though that that is an average score. For instance, looking at the graphs in the feedback from last year, over half the people in the 45-49 range were interviewed.
Agh lads. Really liked the paper overall but timing killed me- got everything finished, but needed more time on one of long Qs and to look over MC. Reckon the long questions were mostly okay but just worried about multiple choice- they can swing you one way or another so, so easily. Overall I'm really happy though- a couple months ago I couldn't have dreamed of even attempting that paper, so being happy enough with it is such a good feeling! Fingers crossed it was enough...
Original post by Zacken
Our school told us to handle this in a bizarre way. We did all of A level maths in year 12 and will do all of A level further maths in year 13. They haven't certified our A levels so we couldn't put down all our module scores on UCAS; they told us not to put our UMS down on the AS maths qualification without providing a reason why, and told us to get our teachers to put the UMS scores in the teacher reference.

So I've ended up with my teacher reference saying that I got 100 in C1, C2, C3 and S1, and 96 in C4.

Am I going to look suspicious with only 5 UMS scores declared? The only one I sat but didn't declare was 87 in M1, which I wasn't happy with, but would I have been better off declaring it anyway? I don't think there's any way unis can tell whether I've sat 5 modules or 9, though, but does this put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by 0x3bfc9a1

Wish everyone gets a good grade!

Your post has been reported, please delete all reference to exam content.

Only 7 more hours until you can all go wild discussing this, but please do hold on until then.
Original post by OxfordMathsDept
Your post has been reported, please delete all reference to exam content.

Only 7 more hours until you can all go wild discussing this, but please do hold on until then.

My apologies. I deleted all relevant contents in my post.
Original post by 0x3bfc9a1
My apologies. I deleted all relevant contents in my post.

you literally gave one question away
Original post by danielhx
you literally gave one question away

I thought 24 hrs after the test was enough.
Now I think I should be able to enter Imperial now lol,
Original post by LaserRanger
Now I think I should be able to enter Imperial now lol,

found the paper easy?
Original post by danielhx
found the paper easy?

Yeah, one of my classmates said if he can't get 95 he would owe me a buffet
Original post by LaserRanger
Yeah, one of my classmates said if he can't get 95 he would owe me a buffet

How was it easy :frown:

Latest

Trending