The Student Room Group

Breaking news- mp demands to vote on brexit upheld by high court!

Interesting, presumabley this would mean there will actually eb a parliamentary vote as to whether this will happen or not, and possibly then presented to house of lords. at least mps can look at all the pros and cons of brexit in a clear un-spun manner

Scroll to see replies

Bye bye Brexit lel.
YUSS!!!
LOL
Reply 5
They aren't going to vote against triggering it.
Original post by Antioch
They aren't going to vote against triggering it.

No, it's about the conditions of leaving, namely the single market.
Excellent news, let's hope they win the appeal too.

This isn't about stopping Brexit, it's about how it happens - parliament must have the final say. Any Brexiteer who says otherwise clearly doesn't value sovereignty or democracy.
Reply 8
Original post by XOR_

OK. That's not the same thing as "bye bye Brexit". Maybe try thinking for once.
Original post by Snufkin

This isn't about stopping Brexit, it's about how it happens - parliament must have the final say. Any Brexiteer who says otherwise clearly doesn't value sovereignty or democracy.

Must it? Surely Direct Democracy trumps Representative Democracy in this situation?

If the roles were reversed, how would you react if the UK population had voted to Remain but Parliament elected to Leave? Would you still claim the same standards?
Reply 10
Original post by Snufkin
Any Brexiteer who says otherwise clearly doesn't value sovereignty or democracy.

I don't see how some posh ***** in parliament going against the vote of the citizens would be valuing democracy.
Original post by XOR_

"Parliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the European Union, the High Court has ruled."

Sounds pretty much to me like Article 50 can only be triggered with Parliament's approval.
Reply 12
Original post by yudothis
"Parliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the European Union, the High Court has ruled."

Sounds pretty much to me like Article 50 can only be triggered with Parliament's approval.

They will vote to trigger it. You're just a remoaner clutching at straws.
Original post by Snufkin

How stupid. This was a referendum, the people voted LEAVE and that's what should happen. It doesn't matter what way you voted, it is a democracy. Many lib-dem and labour voters don't seem to like that word!
Original post by Antioch
They will vote to trigger it. You're just a remoaner clutching at straws.

That is a totally different issue to what you said in your post though. Where you said it wasn't about triggering it or not...

And why, most MPs were against it, no? Do you think they will suddenly now say well I will listen to my constituency? Perhaps. But if I were you, I would be worried.
Original post by ben.anderson
How stupid. This was a referendum, the people voted LEAVE and that's what should happen. It doesn't matter what way you voted, it is a democracy. Many lib-dem and labour voters don't seem to like that word!

And you Ben Anderson have no clue what democracy is.

Or are you saying every single thing decided by Parliament and not by referendum of the people, is not democratic?
Reply 17
interestinlgy Pound has rebounded to its highest level for 3 months

Not really. It just means they need to vote on it. MP's are unlikely to go against the will of the people via the referendum.
Original post by ben.anderson

Parliament is formed from our democratic electorates (aside from Theresa May :P) and remaining in the single market was not actually a condition we voted on in the referendum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending