The Student Room Group

Qutting uni for the second time?

So, basically I'm thinking of quitting uni for the second time! First time around I studied Law, but left after the first year because I didn't really like the subject. This year I started a Sports Science degree, but a combination of the quality of the degree, the rep of the uni and the prospects for a Sport Science graduate have lead me to think that maybe this isn't the best degree for me. I love sport and exercising, and when I applied I was convinced that this would be a great choice, but now I'm not so sure. My issues are solely subject-based - I love the lifestyle but want to know that I'm doing the subject thats right for me.

Ideally, I'd like to study engineering or maths...I had actually applied and received offers for engineering degrees this year but instead declined the offers and applied for sport science through clearing (I know, stupid decision!!).

Im looking for advice...has anyone quit uni twice before and returned a third time? Are there obstacles from UCAS or student finance in terms of applying again? Are they gonna get bored of me applying basically every year just to drop out after 3 months?!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mss1234
So, basically I'm thinking of quitting uni for the second time! First time around I studied Law, but left after the first year because I didn't really like the subject. This year I started a Sports Science degree, but a combination of the quality of the degree, the rep of the uni and the prospects for a Sport Science graduate have lead me to think that maybe this isn't the best degree for me. I love sport and exercising, and when I applied I was convinced that this would be a great choice, but now I'm not so sure. My issues are solely subject-based - I love the lifestyle but want to know that I'm doing the subject thats right for me.

Ideally, I'd like to study engineering or maths...I had actually applied and received offers for engineering degrees this year but instead declined the offers and applied for sport science through clearing (I know, stupid decision!!).

Im looking for advice...has anyone quit uni twice before and returned a third time? Are there obstacles from UCAS or student finance in terms of applying again? Are they gonna get bored of me applying basically every year just to drop out after 3 months?!

They wont finance your first year next time round. You have to find the money yourself ,
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
They wont finance your first year next time round. You have to find the money yourself ,

Ok thanks. Do you know if i'd have to repay this years student finance straight away? Or wait until im earning 21,000 like normal?
Original post by mss1234
Ok thanks. Do you know if i'd have to repay this years student finance straight away? Or wait until im earning 21,000 like normal?

You will have to repay to the extent they regard you have been overpaid i.e loan you havent used on a pro rata basis. Contact SFE to make an arrangement. Didnt ylou have the same issue when you left the first time?
Reply 4
foolish because they won't fund your first year. Seems silly to quit if you love the lifestyle and all and are jsut fretting over your prospects with the subject. Lots of people are unsure of which direction theyre going to take after uni. Stick it out.
Reply 5
I've been in a similar position. First of all, only do it if you're absolutely sure you will commit to the entire degree and you can deal with financial cosequences i.e funding since you won't get the tuition fee loan for the first year. You won't start paying your current loans back until you are earning a certain amount - I think 21k like you said.

What you will be expected to pay back straight away is any loan that has been over-paid to you, so if you left before the year was finished, you'll pay back the loan you didn't "use". Just make sure you inform Student Finance of your change in circumstances when you re-apply. There are no limits to how many UCAS applications you can make.
Reply 6
Ok thanks for the help and advice! And nope I didnt pay anything back the first time as I quit at the end of the year.

Thanks again!
Oh right okay
Switch majors, if they'll let you.
Original post by mss1234

I have worked my butt off supporting people like you.

Go and get a job and then decide what you want to do - there is nothing like doing a crap job for a little while to focus the mind.
Original post by WrenLazarus
Switch majors, if they'll let you.

We're not in America. We don't do 'majors'.
To the OP: I think the financial implications of quitting for a second time and restarting are a red herring. Surely, thinking about starting university for a third time... Is this really for you? Why do you want to keep ploughing the same unproductive furrow? What do you want to do later in life, and can that be adequately achieved without a degree?
Neither am I.. We do Majors..

Original post by Reality Check
We're not in America. We don't do 'majors'.
Original post by mss1234
Ok thanks for the help and advice! And nope I didnt pay anything back the first time as I quit at the end of the year.

Thanks again!

The problem is, that the 4-8 weeks its taken to decide to quit means you have lost the funding year and you will now have to find that money yourself for the whole year. So that means saving £15-18,000, which could take you four years.

The only way round it is if you had a medical condition and that forced you to give up, but that looks unlikely and they wont be sympathetic to just choosing a course you didnt like.
Neither am I.. We do Majors..

Gosh: where's that then?

Northern England.

You can choose a major, and then a minor. For example: You can do English and History. English being the Major, whilst History is the minor. It's called a double honors degree / joint honors.
(edited 7 years ago)

if you do joint honours, your 'major' is the subject which you do more work on. in the uk
Northern England.

You can choose a major, and then a minor. For example: You can do English and History. English being the Major, whilst History is the minor. It's called a double honors degree / joint honors.

Original post by john2054
if you do joint honours, your 'major' is the subject which you do more work on. in the uk

Thank you both.
Reply 18
To the OP: I think the financial implications of quitting for a second time and restarting are a red herring. Surely, thinking about starting university for a third time... Is this really for you? Why do you want to keep ploughing the same unproductive furrow? What do you want to do later in life, and can that be adequately achieved without a degree?

Good question, and it's something I've thought long and hard about in the years since I've left school. I genuinely do think it is for me, and think that a Maths or Engineering degree would suit me better in terms of enjoyment of these courses/roles, education and future employment.
Basically, the first time I went I studied Law because of what other people told me to do (not their fault I might add, they simply said Law was a solid career path - which is true - and as a lazy 18 year old I just went along with whatever they said!).
And second time round I simply chose to study Sports Science without any real investigation of job prospects, the industry or likely job roles - I naively assumed that everyone works in professional sport and that its easy to get a job at a professional club.

In terms of what I want to do later in life, I've always liked to problem-solve and Maths or Engineering is perfect for that. I'd also like to do a bit of voluntary work - so to be able to teach a little bit of Maths or Engineering would be great for me.

Thanks for the questions!
Original post by mss1234
Good question, and it's something I've thought long and hard about in the years since I've left school. I genuinely do think it is for me, and think that a Maths or Engineering degree would suit me better in terms of enjoyment of these courses/roles, education and future employment.
Basically, the first time I went I studied Law because of what other people told me to do (not their fault I might add, they simply said Law was a solid career path - which is true - and as a lazy 18 year old I just went along with whatever they said!).
And second time round I simply chose to study Sports Science without any real investigation of job prospects, the industry or likely job roles - I naively assumed that everyone works in professional sport and that its easy to get a job at a professional club.

In terms of what I want to do later in life, I've always liked to problem-solve and Maths or Engineering is perfect for that. I'd also like to do a bit of voluntary work - so to be able to teach a little bit of Maths or Engineering would be great for me.

Thanks for the questions!

You're welcome. If it helps, I totally understand about the Law thing - I think a surprising number of students do it because of its supposed prestige and progression without fully thinking about whether or not it's for them. And Law really is a drag if you don't enjoy it.

I hope it works out for you. If you do think that Uni is still right for you then, as previous posts from others have made clear, there will be financial implications, but few things are totally unsolvable. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending