The Student Room Group

North London Collegiate 6th Form Examinations

I was just informed yesterday that the subjects I'm being tested on are maths, chemistry, and economics for the entrance exams which are tomorrow. I'm prepared for the maths and chemistry, however I've never studied economics before at any level and am very worried about what will be on the test.

If any of you have sat the NLCS entrance exams (especially economics), I'd really appreciate if you could give me any advice and further guidance. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Rii.M
I was just informed yesterday that the subjects I'm being tested on are maths, chemistry, and economics for the entrance exams which are tomorrow. I'm prepared for the maths and chemistry, however I've never studied economics before at any level and am very worried about what will be on the test.

If any of you have sat the NLCS entrance exams (especially economics), I'd really appreciate if you could give me any advice and further guidance. :smile:

Hey, I also applied for NLCS. I also was examined in maths, chemistry, economics and biology. I hadn't studied economics either. How did you find the exams?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TeeB123
Hey, I also applied for NLCS. I also was examined in maths, chemistry, economics and biology. I hadn't studied economics either. How did you find the exams?

I found the economics surprisingly easy, the maths wasn't too hard but part B was a little hard to comprehend. However, with the chemistry, i haven't done some of the topics that were on the test at school yet (our teacher doesn't teach in order).

It's so weird, I probably saw you there :smile:

I wish you the best of luck on getting through to the interviews.
Hey,
I applied last year and got a place at NLCS but didn't end up going.
If anyone wants advice/encouragement or anything similar for the interview, feel free to ask and I will try and help as much as I can! (Either on here or by PMing)
Hi! We currently live in the US but are relocating to London next summer. We're applying for our daughter to enter NLCS for 6th form (I'm an ONL). She's only ever been in the US school system so everything will be very alien to her. We have no idea what the tests are like (she'd be sitting them remotely in the US with her high school overseeing them), so any info you could provide on how the tests are structured, how long they are, how many she has to take, if they just cover GCSE curriculum (which is different to what she's learned here) etc etc - we know NOTHING - would be a huge help. She's probably going to go for STEM related subjects. Thank you in advance.
Original post by Blahbloggs
Hi! We currently live in the US but are relocating to London next summer. We're applying for our daughter to enter NLCS for 6th form (I'm an ONL). She's only ever been in the US school system so everything will be very alien to her. We have no idea what the tests are like (she'd be sitting them remotely in the US with her high school overseeing them), so any info you could provide on how the tests are structured, how long they are, how many she has to take, if they just cover GCSE curriculum (which is different to what she's learned here) etc etc - we know NOTHING - would be a huge help. She's probably going to go for STEM related subjects. Thank you in advance.

Hi,
I sat the exams almost two years ago, so I don't remember much.
Will she be applying for IB or A Levels?
They cover the GCSE curriculum, but not the entirety of it. Emailing them would possibly be quite helpful. I think they assume that not everyone has covered the entire syllabus and so it's more the "basic" GCSE content that's assessed.
I think each exam was approximately an hour long, and she would sit one for every subject she was planning on taking an exam in (with the exception of further maths).
I'm sorry I can't be of much help,
Hi I am planning on applying to NLCS in a year or so and I was just wondering about the entrance exams. Are maths, chemistry and economics the three subjects you will be tested on? I'm a bit confused about how the entire exams work, so if someone could kindly explain, that would very much be appreciated
Original post by Chubbynoel
Hi I am planning on applying to NLCS in a year or so and I was just wondering about the entrance exams. Are maths, chemistry and economics the three subjects you will be tested on? I'm a bit confused about how the entire exams work, so if someone could kindly explain, that would very much be appreciated

Hey and no. You will be examined on the subjects you choose to take for a level unless you do IB as that will be a bit different. If you have any other questions feel free to ask as I am a current student there x
Original post by Blahbloggs

Hey, I'm at NLCS although I'm not in the sixth form but I can tell you that the exams would be an hour long and they would probably be hard GCSEs questions. You can't really revise for them but as long as you know the GCSE course well you should be fine.
Original post by Ebxox
Hey, I'm at NLCS although I'm not in the sixth form but I can tell you that the exams would be an hour long and they would probably be hard GCSEs questions. You can't really revise for them but as long as you know the GCSE course well you should be fine.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it and it was very helpful! She'll have a look at some old GCSE papers, although of course that curriculum has changed now, but at least she can see what areas she hasn't covered at her school and can learn those topics. Thanks again.
Hello, I just wondered which subjects you applied for at NLCS? My daughter is interested in taking English, drama, politics and geography A level. Any advice on what the exams are like would be really appreciated. Many thanks
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
Hey,
I applied last year and got a place at NLCS but didn't end up going.
If anyone wants advice/encouragement or anything similar for the interview, feel free to ask and I will try and help as much as I can! (Either on here or by PMing)

Hello, my daughter is applying to NLCS this year. She would like to study: English, drama, geography and politics a level. If you have any advice on what might come up in these exams, that would be brilliant. Thanks so much.
Original post by Flybaby2002
Hello, my daughter is applying to NLCS this year. She would like to study: English, drama, geography and politics a level. If you have any advice on what might come up in these exams, that would be brilliant. Thanks so much.

I didn't take exams for any of those subjects - so I don't know specifically.
I think part of English will be an analysis - I remember a lot of people talking about analysing a poem - other than that I don't know.

Maybe email them so you know what she's required to know?
Original post by charlottemmx
Hi, is anyone applying to NLCS to study Maths, Chemistry and Biology?I'm quitthe exams, and I don't know what to expect.Does anyone know how the exams are structured?

Hey I've applied too for chem physics economics and maths
Idrk how the exams are structured but dm me about bio cand maths cause I think I know how they're going to be structured
i know this was a while ago but how did you find maths chem and bio. i’m sitting them tomorrow😳
Original post by TeeB123

hi how did you find maths chem and bio. i’m sitting them tomorrow😳. what did you do to revise
Reply 17
Original post by nerissa098
hi how did you find maths chem and bio. i’m sitting them tomorrow😳. what did you do to revise

Hey, I've pmed you! :smile:
Original post by TeeB123

Hi. I’m sitting NLC tommorow for bio,Chem and maths. I was just wondering if you have any tips on how to tackle the questions that came up and what to do if you haven’t covered the topic??
Heya! In terms of subjects like history, do you know what preparation do you need specifically? I took it in year 10 and got a nine but I have forgotten a lot of the content so I am not sure if I should bother choosing that as a topic to be examined for the tests. I am planning to do physics, maths and history. And roughly, do you know how many people apply for the sixth form in the first place/ success per application? Say, I don't perform well in one the tests but the other two are good, could I still get in? Sorry for bombarding with questions, I am blinded to how the application system works :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest