The Student Room Group

Will you be wearing a poppy this year?

Poll

Will you wear a poppy this year?

Every year there seems to be a debate over people wearing poppies for remembrance Sunday. Do you think it's important to wear one? Will you be wearing one or not, and why?

Personally I will be. I have a medal badge one as I find the paper ones with a pin very fiddly and I always lose them. But I don't think people should have to, only if they want - there are other ways to show respect :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
Every year there seems to be a debate over people wearing poppies for remembrance Sunday. Will you be wearing one or not, and why?

Personally I will be. I have a medal badge one as I find the paper ones with a pin very fiddly and I always loose them. But I don't think people should have to, only if they want - there are other ways to show respect :smile:

I saved mine from last year.
Reply 2
I never wear a poppy. Back home, it's got a lot of connotations.

(If you know who the footballer James McClean is, I come from the same city as him, and I have the same reasons).
there are some lovely knitted ones around...

i just wear a basic paper one :h:
I'll avoid using a pin one for now.
But ill probably have one on my desk at work to show respect :smile:
Reply 5
I do but it always falls off cos I can never stick it on properly :colonhash:
Original post by will'o'wisp
I saved mine from last year.

That completely defeats the point.... #Moooose
Yes I will be wearing it.
Despite people crying about it being racist or other stupid nonsense.
i also have like a bracelet ? made of rubber ?

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
no.
Original post by Ham22
no.

why not
No. But only because I can never be bothered to buy one and I never I wouldn't want to wear one anyway as it makes me stick out.

I'm not a pacifist but if I did wear one I would probs where a white one just to annoy a certain type of person.
Original post by OvergrownMoose
That completely defeats the point.... #Moooose

Why? Isn't the point to wear a poppy to show remembrance or do i have it wrong?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
No. But only because I can never be bothered to buy one and I never I wouldn't want to wear one anyway as it makes me stick out.

I'm not a pacifist but if I did wear one I would probs where a white one just to annoy a certain type of person.

Wearing a poppy is not saying yeah we want more war, war is cool.

It is remembering the dead and all the horrors that war brings.

and you wouldn't stick out when many others wear it
Reply 14
I have a metal badge :yep:
No.

I regard giving money to charity, be it the British Legion or another organisation, to be a private matter than I don't need to advertise. Wearing a poppy is just virtue signalling.
so many of the people who gave their lives in the World Wars were the same age or younger than the students here.
I will and always have worn a simple paper poppy to remember those who died in the defence of our nation.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Wearing a poppy is not saying yeah we want more war, war is cool.

I think it sometimes is used like that. War is fine as long as we feel a bit sad about it for couple of days. David Cameron wore one whilst flogging weapons to Saudi Arabia. The symbol was also used as propaganda in WWI. A war that was completely ****ing stupid and pointless as far as I am concerned. So personally I don't really like the symbol and how it often gets used by the British state.

I'm fine with other people wearing them though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nope. If the money raised was spent on education and cultural schemes to teach people about the mistakes of the past then I would wear one, but alas, that is not what the money is used for. It amazes me that so many people who fall over themselves to wear a red poppy have never read Wilfred Owen or Vera Brittain. :dong:

Quick Reply

Latest