The Student Room Group

Government loses article 50 court fight

Scroll to see replies

Winning the referendum does not mean nobody is allowed to further discuss the issue, and its not a blank check to design post-brexit Britain's relationship with the EU however you want.

The people voted for Brexit. Fine. Now let the people (or at least their representatives) vote on our post-brexit relationship
Original post by The Epicurean
The majority of people who voted to remain in the EU did not vote on the basis that they wanted to "reduce the power and influence of our parliament". I don't know anybody who voted on that basis. However, many Brexiters voted on the basis that they specifically wanted to return power to our Parliament.

Just simple cause and effect, if you let the European Parliament make our laws for us, our parliament loses its power and influence.

Who you know and what they voted on has no basis in a political debate, the sample is way too small (and biased) to generalise, I think you know this very well.
(edited 7 years ago)
:u:Great news. There will be a lot of tears of despair on this forum at this set back. :u:

Would love to see Mays face, now let's just hope she resigns and we get a general election with a coalition government.

Enough said before I upset the Brexit Nazis :biggrin:
Original post by Ambitious1999
:u:Great news. There will be a lot of tears of despair on this forum at this set back. :u:

Would love to see Mays face, now let's just hope she resigns and we get a general election with a coalition government.

Enough said before I upset the Brexit Nazis :biggrin:

Firstly, an early general election would lead to an even greater Conservative majority. To see this, you just have to look at any recent polls.

Secondly, it's very unlikely MPs will vote against invoking article 50 in my opinion.
From democracy to oligarchy, welcome to the United Kingdom.

I will personally be up in arms if MPs vote against Brexit and the triggering of Article 50. They're supposed to work for us. Bunch of *****.
Reply 45
Original post by Dodgypirate

I will personally be up in arms if MPs vote against Brexit and the triggering of Article 50. They're supposed to work for us. Bunch of *****.

A representative democracy doesn't suddenly become an oligarchy because you disagree with them.

I will fully expect my local MP to vote against Brexit whenever the opportunity arises, because that is the overall will of the constituency. However if he doesn't then that is his right to vote as he sees appropriate.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There's a huge amount of hot air in the idea that voters are so obsessed with the EU that they will topple MPs who vote for Remain, or to stay in the Single Market. When voters were offered a direct opportunity to vote on it, by a small margin against a background of towering quantities of public lies, they voted for it. The rest of the time, they place it well down the issues list. Hence why UKIP have never done well at getting parliamentary seats - if the voters really cared that much, there would be 50 or 60 kippers at least in the Commons - as it is, there's one and he's really still a Tory.

Should MPs reject the bill to enact Article 50, they'll be a General Election at some point in 2017.

We both know that the Conservative majority will increase & Labour will get obliterated with Corbyn in charge. The chances are that Article 50 will still get passed, albeit at a later date.
Original post by offhegoes
A representative democracy doesn't suddenly become an oligarchy because you disagree with them.

I will fully expect my local MP to vote against Brexit whenever the opportunity arises, because that is the overall will of the constituency. However if he doesn't then that is his right to vote as he sees appropriate.

The overall will of the country was to Leave, I couldn't care less whether your constituency, your house, or your school voted Remain.

The referendum was a question for the people to answer. We responded, and the answer was Leave.

Now MPs (an oligarchy) are going to decide on whether we leave or not.

This county has taken a big, warm **** on democracy.

Expect violence.
Original post by orton6
The referendum is just getting the public's opinion on it. It doesn't guarantee anything. MPs will probably get lobbied by companies to vote against leaving.

I never said it did. It is a unique expression of the will of the people though and I doubt many MP's will choose to ignore that. They are more importnat than companies.
Original post by The_Internet
Cos the over 50's are known for rioting..

Makes me laugh when Farage threatens mayhem, the thought of all those pensioners raging down the streets of Eastbourne waving their sticks and putting their orthopedic boots in the windows of M & S and Waitrose. Chilling stuff.
Original post by sr90
I find it hilarious that all the people shouting about 'taking our country back' are now complaining that the same Parliament they want to hand power to gets to have a say on the most important issue for the country in generations.

Thank you.

What a stupid statement. There is simply no evidence we are an oligarchy just becayse a decision has been challenged. Have you even read about the decision and do you understand the reasoning behind it?
Original post by Tempest II
Should MPs reject the bill to enact Article 50, they'll be a General Election at some point in 2017.

We both know that the Conservative majority will increase & Labour will get obliterated with Corbyn in charge. The chances are that Article 50 will still get passed, albeit at a later date.

If Corbyn does get nowhere, it won't be because of Brexit and anyway he's always been a Leaver, he just (for reasons best known to himself) temporarily posed as a Remainer during the campaign, pretty unconvincingly. In fact, if his intention was to sabotage it by damning it with faint praise, he couldn't have done better.

The real outcome if you are right is that the country will remain in the neanderthal grip of Rupert Murdoch and M'Luds Belize and Dacre, but without the recourse we did have to sensible EU government.
Original post by 999tigger
What a stupid statement. There is simply no evidence we are an oligarchy just becayse a decision has been challenged. Have you even read about the decision and do you understand the reasoning behind it?

It's the opposite of oligarchy to have Parliament deciding.

Some of these Kippers would clearly prefer to live in a Putin-style gangster state.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's the opposite of oligarchy to have Parliament deciding.

Some of these Kippers would clearly prefer to live in a Putin-style gangster state.

Its just annoying when such posters spout stuff which is some sort of grand statement, but shows they do not understand the subject they are talking about.
So this won't, nor should it, prevent Brexit.

What it will do, I think, is prevent a 'hard' Brexit. MPs will approve the trigger on the proviso that we stay in the single market. That way, the democratic mandate of the people from the referendum is being respected (if you think otherwise, you must have misread the referendum question), and a good compromise is struck, in addition to effecting Brexit at the lowest cost possible. We will, thank god, retain freedom of movement, and we won't see an exodus from our financial services sector.

Legally, I think it's the correct decision as well.
Original post by Foo.mp3
So the city think they can delay the inevitable, and somehow use Democratically elected representatives to block a direct Democratic mandate from the people? Mr. and Ms. hedge fund (Gina Miller and her hubbie) can stick it

Ivory tower douchebags will not block Brexit, and MPs will know, without any doubt in their minds, that should they attempt to then they they will be committing treason (betraying the people/nation, surrendering sovereignty) in the eyes of millions

In the above context, and given that so many prominent MPs have said 'we must respect the wishes of the people', most sensible MPs will think twice before attempting to obstruct withdrawal (if only to save their own necks)

To be fair, Gina Miller has campaigned in the past for more openness and a fairer system for ordinary people in the finance sector - she attracted a lot of anger from the City people for trying to get all their hidden fees on products out into the public domain. I'm not saying she's perfect, but she isn't the usual self-obsessed City type by any means.
Reply 57
The overall will of the country was to Leave, I couldn't care less whether your constituency, your house, or your school voted Remain.

The referendum was a question for the people to answer. We responded, and the answer was Leave.

Now MPs (an oligarchy) are going to decide on whether we leave or not.

This county has taken a big, warm **** on democracy.

Expect violence.

Well I can see you're a little grumpy, but my local MP has a responsibility first and foremost to my constituency.

Strangely I can't see any previous pre-Brexit posts of yours calling the elected UK government an oligarchy - perhaps I have missed them?

Expect violence? From you I expect some strongly worded posts on an internet forum, nothing more.
57 posts and counting full of breathless excitement about 'brexit being stopped'. If Brexit were held up, delayed, kicked into the long grass, manipulated, remodelled, repackaged and generally fudged there would be an uprising. I wish it were different. But the referendum result, whilst technically 'advisory' is in all effects an instruction from the people for the government. In my opinion, they'd be better served by getting on and delivering this in the least damaging way instead of all this faffing about.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ambitious1999
Would love to see Mays face, now let's just hope she resigns and we get a general election with a coalition government

If there was a general election Labour would be annihilated and the Conservatives would have a vastly increased majority.

Original post by Reality Check
57 posts and counting full of breathless excitement about 'brexit being stopped'. If Brexit were held up, delayed, kicked into the long grass, manipulated, remodelled, repackaged and generally fudged there would be an uprising. I wish it were different. But the referendum result, whilst technically 'advisory' is in all effects an instruction from the people for the government. In my opinion, they'd be better served by getting on and delivering this in the least damaging way instead of all this faffing about.

Which can only happen if Parliament gets their say.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending