The Student Room Group

Should I apply for universities with lower offers?

I am predicted A*A*A and applying to five courses that require AAA.
Are these universities too high or should I apply to a couple lower than that?
no
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx

How realistic do you think your prediction is? If you think you're almost certainly going to get AAA or above, then there's not a problem. If you're less confident about your predicted grades though then a lower offer uni may be a good idea.

If your confident and know you can get AAA then don't bother applying to lower universities.
Reply 4

If your track record is basically A and above then I wouldn't worry. I mean your predicted grades are higher than the requirements so I don't see the issue.

I guess if you're worried about messing up, I guess it could happen, then apply for just one with slightly lower grades.

In this day and age though, I really wouldn't bother applying for a really crap university - degrees are a dime a dozen now, so unless it's in a useful subject, and/or a high grade, and/or from a reputable university, you're really better off without.

Not you personally - going by your grades I'm sure you will be fine and get one of your top choices.
Original post by abc:)
If your track record is basically A and above then I wouldn't worry. I mean your predicted grades are higher than the requirements so I don't see the issue.

I guess if you're worried about messing up, I guess it could happen, then apply for just one with slightly lower grades.

In this day and age though, I really wouldn't bother applying for a really crap university - degrees are a dime a dozen now, so unless it's in a useful subject, and/or a high grade, and/or from a reputable university, you're really better off without.

Not you personally - going by your grades I'm sure you will be fine and get one of your top choices.

I completely agree with you, hence why I've been so reluctant to change my options. I'm thinking I'd rather take a gap year, retake some exams and reapply than settle for somewhere like Manchester which is obviously still very good but simply isn't where I want to go. So many years of hard work and money going into it, it seems pointless to compromise?
Reply 6
I completely agree with you, hence why I've been so reluctant to change my options. I'm thinking I'd rather take a gap year, retake some exams and reapply than settle for somewhere like Manchester which is obviously still very good but simply isn't where I want to go. So many years of hard work and money going into it, it seems pointless to compromise?

What, Manchester is a really excellent uni haha that isn't really what I meant (unless you mean Manchester Met) - I was thinking along the lines of lesser known and younger unis, Coventry for example.

Anyway, regardless (it's up to you what unis you go for) - that sounds like a good plan. Obviously you would have to check that those unis will accept someone who has re-sat their exams. And you'd have to have faith that you will improve second time around. But gap years are ace, really good for employability if you do something good with them.

To be honest though, with your predictions I think you will be fine.
Original post by abc:)
What, Manchester is a really excellent uni haha that isn't really what I meant (unless you mean Manchester Met) - I was thinking along the lines of lesser known and younger unis, Coventry for example.

Anyway, regardless (it's up to you what unis you go for) - that sounds like a good plan. Obviously you would have to check that those unis will accept someone who has re-sat their exams. And you'd have to have faith that you will improve second time around. But gap years are ace, really good for employability if you do something good with them.

To be honest though, with your predictions I think you will be fine.

That came out wrong, I know Manchester is great! But I mean in terms of the course I want to do it's definitely not the best.
Reply 8

You are probably being a bit too pessimistic..

Are any of the AAA courses on your shortlist the best course you can apply to? If not add that one (assuming it's not Oxbridge because you've missed that).

UCAS provides a tool that calculates the likelihood of an offer given your predictions. Try it out... you might be pleasantly surprised.

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/
Original post by jneill
You are probably being a bit too pessimistic..

Are any of the AAA courses on your shortlist the best course you can apply to? If not add that one (assuming it's not Oxbridge because you've missed that).

UCAS provides a tool that calculates the likelihood of an offer given your predictions. Try it out... you might be pleasantly surprised.

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

Unfortunately, I can't check the rates for my course because it doesn't appear on there, but thank you anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest