The Student Room Group

Decent subjects for Japanese?

Hi
I'm currently a Year 11 student and for some time now I've been contemplating doing a degree in Japanese (my dream would be Edinburgh or Cambridge but I should probably be a little more realistic haha).
I currently study French and Latin and am predicted an A* in both, but for A Level I'm unsure as to whether I should continue with French to at least AS Level- I like it but I don't think I'm incredibly outstanding at it and I know top grades are difficult, especially for non native speakers (sweeping generalisation I know).
My other A levels would be English Lit, History, Gov & Pol and I'm torn between French and Economics for the 4th AS
I'm imagining that I wouldn't drop English Lit or History for A2, which I think are decent choices for someone looking to study that sort of degree (and also, if the Japanese thing doesn't work out they're my other two passions anyway)
Is it sort of a necessity to do French at sixth form or would it be alright if I showed some independent interest by studying GCSE Japanese in my spare time instead?
Thank you for anyone who replies - I know I've over complicated this (*´-`)
Original post by Ihatecrumpets
Hi
I'm currently a Year 11 student and for some time now I've been contemplating doing a degree in Japanese (my dream would be Edinburgh or Cambridge but I should probably be a little more realistic haha).
I currently study French and Latin and am predicted an A* in both, but for A Level I'm unsure as to whether I should continue with French to at least AS Level- I like it but I don't think I'm incredibly outstanding at it and I know top grades are difficult, especially for non native speakers (sweeping generalisation I know).
My other A levels would be English Lit, History, Gov & Pol and I'm torn between French and Economics for the 4th AS
I'm imagining that I wouldn't drop English Lit or History for A2, which I think are decent choices for someone looking to study that sort of degree (and also, if the Japanese thing doesn't work out they're my other two passions anyway)
Is it sort of a necessity to do French at sixth form or would it be alright if I showed some independent interest by studying GCSE Japanese in my spare time instead?
Thank you for anyone who replies - I know I've over complicated this (*´-`)

I think studying a Language at A-level will be more better for you - you're showing your commitment to a language and of course, if that's what you wish to read at uni, then unis will surely be impressed by the determination of continuing with a language at A-level.

The rest of your A-levels are perfectly fine.

Good luck!
Hey! I'd say definitely study a language at A Level - you could consider doing GCSE Japanese (genuinely pretty easy) in Year 12, and AS Japanese in Year 13? With languages at A Level, the most important thing is (as far as I've been able to tell - I do Latin and Japanese) to make sure you're hitting the mark scheme. You need to know the grammar on the specification, and you need to practice every day, even if it's just for 10 minutes. So it's more work than other subjects, but I wouldn't necessarily say harder. It just... requires a lot of motivation.

Quick Reply

Latest