The Student Room Group

Chances at oxford, lse, and ucl for ppe

Hello guys, sorry if it's not the right place to put my question. I'm quite new here just bear with me plz. So, this year i applied to oxford, lse, ucl, and two other universities for PPE degree. And I'd like to know my chances for at least getting an interview at oxford as well as for other two mentioned universities.
i'm a non eu citizen who goes to an international american school, so currently taking aps.
my sat score is 2240 out of 2400 (my superscore is 2290, but i don't know if uk universities use superscores.)
I took 4 APs last year: calculus ab 5; microeconomics 5; macroeconomics 5; statistics 4. And i'm taking 6 APs this year: English Language, Calculus BC, US History, Psychology, Comparative Government, and US Government.
I think my personal statement is pretty good(but, i forgot to mention my 4.0 gpa in my ps, which is obviously a mistake), and my reference should be remarkable. For TSA, I think i scored around 38-40, so around 70 depending on the scale. So, what do you think? Do i have a pretty good shot? Thanks in advance:smile:.
Original post by tongdak13
Hello guys, sorry if it's not the right place to put my question. I'm quite new here just bear with me plz. So, this year i applied to oxford, lse, ucl, and two other universities for PPE degree. And I'd like to know my chances for at least getting an interview at oxford as well as for other two mentioned universities.
i'm a non eu citizen who goes to an international american school, so currently taking aps.
my sat score is 2240 out of 2400 (my superscore is 2290, but i don't know if uk universities use superscores.)
I took 4 APs last year: calculus ab 5; microeconomics 5; macroeconomics 5; statistics 4. And i'm taking 6 APs this year: English Language, Calculus BC, US History, Psychology, Comparative Government, and US Government.
I think my personal statement is pretty good(but, i forgot to mention my 4.0 gpa in my ps, which is obviously a mistake), and my reference should be remarkable. For TSA, I think i scored around 38-40, so around 70 depending on the scale. So, what do you think? Do i have a pretty good shot? Thanks in advance:smile:.

You have a chance for all three, SAT score may be a bit on the low side because I do not think UK uses super score but your APs are really good. Your TSA is stellar as well if you do get that grade. You don't need to mention your 4.0 gpa in the ps because that's a waste of space where you can talk about your subject more. It's good that you didn't.
Reply 2
Original post by wolfmoon88
You have a chance for all three, SAT score may be a bit on the low side because I do not think UK uses super score but your APs are really good. Your TSA is stellar as well if you do get that grade. You don't need to mention your 4.0 gpa in the ps because that's a waste of space where you can talk about your subject more. It's good that you didn't.

Thanks for your comment! Can I ask you another question? So, at least in the US, ethnicity could play a role in university admissions process, and I wonder if it's the case for uk as well. I'm Asian. Would my ethnicity, in any way, drop my chance?
Thanks for your comment! Can I ask you another question? So, at least in the US, ethnicity could play a role in university admissions process, and I wonder if it's the case for uk as well. I'm Asian. Would my ethnicity, in any way, drop my chance?

I am also an international school student and an Asia, may I ask where is your school?, umm from my research I would say diversity is not as key a factor compared to the US. In the UK, it is more about the grades. But for competitive subjects such as PPE, I believe there are limited places for international students anyways but your grades are pretty good so I think you'll be fine.
Reply 4
I am also an international school student and an Asia, may I ask where is your school?, umm from my research I would say diversity is not as key a factor compared to the US. In the UK, it is more about the grades. But for competitive subjects such as PPE, I believe there are limited places for international students anyways but your grades are pretty good so I think you'll be fine.

That's a relief thanks! I go to an international school in China (My nationality is Korea btw just in case you're wondering)
That's a relief thanks! I go to an international school in China (My nationality is Korea btw just in case you're wondering)

We can only wait until interview offers come out rn, so keep you fingers crossed. I am sure you'll be fine though :smile: looking at your APs you are probably applying to US unis as well? and no problem, glad to help :smile:
Reply 6
We can only wait until interview offers come out rn, so keep you fingers crossed. I am sure you'll be fine though :smile: looking at your APs you are probably applying to US unis as well? and no problem, glad to help :smile:

I was going to, but my parents might not be able to afford 6k dollars or more a year. I might apply to some LAC schools though cuz they hold a reputation for being generous for scholarships and financial aids regardless of your nationality.
I was going to, but my parents might not be able to afford 6k dollars or more a year. I might apply to some LAC schools though cuz they hold a reputation for being generous for scholarships and financial aids regardless of your nationality.

Like Haverford, Bowdoin, Williams, etc...? Yeah same so I gave up on applying to the US loool.
Reply 8
Like Haverford, Bowdoin, Williams, etc...? Yeah same so I gave up on applying to the US loool.

yeah exactly.
yeah exactly.

Good luck on your applications man, and at school later. Hope I helped somewhat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending