The Student Room Group

Leaving sixth form with 2 AS levels and 1 A level?

I am a year 13 at sixth form repeating year 12 in 2 subjects (chem and bio). My sixth form's science department have announced that they will be making us take the AS exams for the sciences this year. I know AS isn't really a "thing" anymore, but apparently this is last year or one of the last years it will be happening. Apparently they feel the last year 12s didn't work hard enough in year 12 and they believe it was due to lack of pressure (totally agree - many students in my class are repeating year 12).
I was wondering how much it would affect my life if I left school after the AS exams. I would have 2 AS' in chemistry and biology and an A level in Spanish. The reason why I'm considering leaving is because I'm not sure having A levels would matter too much and I'm just kind of fed up of education. I know how that sounds considering many aren't lucky enough to have it, but I feel drained. I started A levels considering medical school (was planning to retake maths GCSE), and then a bunch of stuff happened and I don't think any of that is for me anymore at all. I kind of want to leave and see what's out there, but I don't want to be unemployed and broke because I couldn't be bothered to get 2 full A levels. Any thoughts? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Uyirpeariel
I am a year 13 at sixth form repeating year 12 in 2 subjects (chem and bio). My sixth form's science department have announced that they will be making us take the AS exams for the sciences this year. I know AS isn't really a "thing" anymore, but apparently this is last year or one of the last years it will be happening. Apparently they feel the last year 12s didn't work hard enough in year 12 and they believe it was due to lack of pressure (totally agree - many students in my class are repeating year 12).
I was wondering how much it would affect my life if I left school after the AS exams. I would have 2 AS' in chemistry and biology and an A level in Spanish. The reason why I'm considering leaving is because I'm not sure having A levels would matter too much and I'm just kind of fed up of education. I know how that sounds considering many aren't lucky enough to have it, but I feel drained. I started A levels considering medical school (was planning to retake maths GCSE), and then a bunch of stuff happened and I don't think any of that is for me anymore at all. I kind of want to leave and see what's out there, but I don't want to be unemployed and broke because I couldn't be bothered to get 2 full A levels. Any thoughts? :smile:

I know exactly how you feel! I am going through the same dilemma at the moment. I've became so sick of A levels and although I have AS grades, I dont really need them anymore because I do not want to go university at the moment. I had the same intentions as you- to study medicine but I started doing more research and it just didn't appeal to me anymore. With your situation, I think it depends on what you want to do and what field of work you want to cultivate your time into. I have found out that there is so much opportunity out there and I do not think you will be unemployed or broke just because you don't have a levels. For me, I think if i ever need a levels, I will complete them via an Open college through distant learning and its maybe something you could do some research about. idk :/ Dont let education degrade your mental state. Strive for what makes you happy and if A levels arent it, then leave.

Quick Reply

Latest