The Student Room Group

2017 Bristol medicine hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CutieTootsie
Thank you!

It was an email, not track :smile:

Thanks! :smile: fingers crossed I hear soon. Genuinly so pleased for you - where else have you applied?

I've seen some successful applicants last year didn't get interview offers until January, so they reaaaaally seem to stagger invitations :/
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
Thanks! :smile: fingers crossed I hear soon. Genuinly so pleased for you - where else have you applied?

I've seen some successful applicants last year didn't get interview offers until January, so they reaaaaally seem to stagger invitations :/

Thank you so much :smile: I also applied for Maths at Bristol (5th choice) and Plymouth, Imperial and Cambridge for A100
and oh wow. January seems to feel really far away, but before we know it, it'll be 2017!
When you have an afternoon nap 😴 and wake up to an interview! SO NERVOUS!!!
My heart is in my mouth 😝

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure why but this makes me very happy haha!! good luck! hope to see you in September *fingers crossed*
Original post by ukhopeful94
not sure why but this makes me very happy haha!! good luck! hope to see you in September *fingers crossed*

omg thank you! do you have deferred 2017 entry?
Congrats!!!! btw what was your UKCAT score if you dont mind me asking
omg thank you! do you have deferred 2017 entry?

no this is my first time applying, im a canadian student :smile:
Original post by ukhopeful94
no this is my first time applying, im a canadian student :smile:

sweet! best of luck to both of us then :smile:

Original post by chickengbor
Congrats!!!! btw what was your UKCAT score if you dont mind me asking

637.5 average (bleh) but I think our PS carries 70% of the weight and the UKCAT only 10% - so maybe my PS made up for my average score.
(edited 7 years ago)
How much work experience did you do? And if you dont mind me asking what kind of things did you include in your ps? once again congrats !! well done

OMG well done!!!
What are your stats Cutie Tootsie ? GCSE, AS UKCAT etc ? Also when did you submit your application? You were also the only one they sent a UKCAT email too also. Noone else got that UKCAT email .
Original post by BadLashes
What are your stats Cutie Tootsie ? GCSE, AS UKCAT etc ? Also when did you submit your application? You were also the only one they sent a UKCAT email too also. Noone else got that UKCAT email .

I think she sat the exam with extra time - and they ask for evidence after and I think that was the email you're referring to.

I've had a look on social media and found someone else who got an invite today. My guess is that a larger batch will be going out tomorrow :smile:. From previous threads I've been looking at, sometimes they seem to trickle in at first.
I think she sat the exam with extra time - and they ask for evidence after and I think that was the email you're referring to.

I've had a look on social media and found someone else who got an invite today. My guess is that a larger batch will be going out tomorrow :smile:. From previous threads I've been looking at, sometimes they seem to trickle in at first.

I went through this last year - did not get a single interview. I just missed an interview with Bristol last year. Made improvements to my PS as I am now a full time care assistant.
Original post by chickengbor
How much work experience did you do? And if you dont mind me asking what kind of things did you include in your ps? once again congrats !! well done

I did a lot! worked in a nursing home for a year (though i dont think i specified the length in my PS), shadowed surgeons on 2 occasions and worked for the NHS Blood and Transplant for a summer.
I included all of that in my PS and explained what i learned and evaluated myself why i think medicine is for me.

My GCSEs aren't great :frown: but I dont think Bristol is GCSE heavy. All my stats are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4396076&p=68362012#post68362012
submitted on the 14th and @thtgreeneyedgirlis right, they only emailed me because they wanted evidence that I get extra time in exams. I only said it on TSR because i thought people would want to know that our universities have received our results. sorry if i caused you to get anxious! it was unintentional.
I went through this last year - did not get a single interview. I just missed an interview with Bristol last year. Made improvements to my PS as I am now a full time care assistant.

Sorry to hear that :frown: what was it that stopped you getting an interview with Bristol, if you don't mind me asking? I'm also a fellow HCA and it's def the best experience you can get :biggrin:.

I scored a really average UKCAT (640) but my academics, PS and experience are strong. But knowing my luck this is what will let me down. Last year Aberdeen interviewed people with UKCAT scores from 2180-3350. So, with the dip in applicant numbers and a lower average, I'm hoping it'll be enough to get in :s-smilie:

Where else have you applied?

Congrats!! You must've scored highly.

Did you go to the Sutton trust summer school at Bristol by any chance?
Original post by swopnil
Congrats!! You must've scored highly.

Did you go to the Sutton trust summer school at Bristol by any chance?

No I didn't :frown: though I wanted to!
Sorry to hear that :frown: what was it that stopped you getting an interview with Bristol, if you don't mind me asking? I'm also a fellow HCA and it's def the best experience you can get :biggrin:.

I scored a really average UKCAT (640) but my academics, PS and experience are strong. But knowing my luck this is what will let me down. Last year Aberdeen interviewed people with UKCAT scores from 2180-3350. So, with the dip in applicant numbers and a lower average, I'm hoping it'll be enough to get in :s-smilie:

Last year with Bristol my PS let me down. Feedback said I went overboard on my work experience and why I wanted to be a doctor etc but not nearly enough on my extra curricular stuff. They say they like 1/3 of why you want to be a doctor, 1/3 work experience and 1/3 on extra curricular stuff. My PS is so much better this year. For my other universities last year it was the UKCAT that let me down - 625. My GCSEs are 7A* 5A and my achieved A levels are AAAA.
I have applied to Cardiff (should get interview there as they score A levels ) so I have maximum points. Keele and Liverpool.
sorry this year mu UKCAT is better 660 and band 1
Last year with Bristol my PS let me down. Feedback said I went overboard on my work experience and why I wanted to be a doctor etc but not nearly enough on my extra curricular stuff. They say they like 1/3 of why you want to be a doctor, 1/3 work experience and 1/3 on extra curricular stuff. My PS is so much better this year. For my other universities last year it was the UKCAT that let me down - 625. My GCSEs are 7A* 5A and my achieved A levels are AAAA.
I have applied to Cardiff (should get interview there as they score A levels ) so I have maximum points. Keele and Liverpool.

I didn't realise it was possible to go overboard with work ex - unless you didn't reflect on it as much and listed it?

I'm a graduate/mature applicant so I'm not sure if my extra curricular's needed to be about 1/3 - does volunteering count as EC too? I went quite heavy on my reflection tbh but got good feedback from junior drs at work etc. But then again, PS is subjective.

Whaaaat your UKCAT last year wasn't even 'bad' :s-smilie:. Did Aberdeen say it was your UKCAT as they interviewed much lower?

The whole thing is a minefield but I know meeting cutoffs/min entry requirements doesn't guarantee an interview...

Fingers crossed for your choices - would love it if we heard back today :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending