The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Ask a Current Student Thread

Scroll to see replies

What predicted grades do Newcastle generally look at, my predicted grades are a little lower than I would have liked and am wondering will Newcastle just dismiss my application? I need BBB for my course but got predicted BBC
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by LadybirdOrange
What predicted grades do Newcastle generally look at, my predicted grades are a little lower than I would have liked and am wondering will Newcastle just dismiss my application? I need BBB for my course but got predicted BBC

Hi,

What course are you interested in? :smile:

All the best,

Persephone
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi,

What course are you interested in? :smile:

All the best,

Persephone

Nutrition :smile:
Reply 203
Hi, I'm wanting to start pharmacology next year with a Japanese module alongside it. I'm just wondering is it manageable or will I have a meltdown with the amount of work I will need to do for the pharmacology course alone.
Hi everyone!

Welcome to Newcastle University’s official Ask A Current Student thread here on The Student Room.

Our Rep team includes Christina, who is currently taking a degree in Marketing with our Business School. She'll be monitoring this thread on Mondays and Wednesdays, 9-5, to answer your questions about what it's like to study at Newcastle University.

We also have a team of Student Bloggers writing about topics like UCAS applications, student accommodation, clubs and societies, and all aspects of student life at Newcastle University!

For any questions you may not wish to post publicly, feel free to drop the team a private message.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Newcastle University Student Room Team: Christina, Persephone, Matt and Anna

Respected Admissions,

I am a prospective international applicant. I have recently obtained an IB Diploma in May 2016. I will be retaking one of my Higher Level subjects in November 2016. I was wondering if I could submit a predicted grade for this subject when applying to Newcastle, till the release of the official result in January 2017. Furthermore, I would like to understand whether having taken a gap year with a resit would put me at a significant disadvantage. Also, would it be acceptable if I were to independently study Chemistry at A-Levels to meet the requirement of the Biology (Ecology and Conservation) MBiol Honours course?

Thanking you,
ibprocrastinator
Original post by ibprocrastinator
Respected Admissions,

I am a prospective international applicant. I have recently obtained an IB Diploma in May 2016. I will be retaking one of my Higher Level subjects in November 2016. I was wondering if I could submit a predicted grade for this subject when applying to Newcastle, till the release of the official result in January 2017. Furthermore, I would like to understand whether having taken a gap year with a resit would put me at a significant disadvantage. Also, would it be acceptable if I were to independently study Chemistry at A-Levels to meet the requirement of the Biology (Ecology and Conservation) MBiol Honours course?

Thanking you,
ibprocrastinator

Hi,

I passed your message on to the Admissions Officer for Biology (Ecology and Conservation) MBiol and this was the response:

We do not discriminate against students who choose to re-sit.

You should make sure the grade for the Higher Level you are retaking goes into the 'qualifications to be completed' section of your application, and that a predicted grade is given for this.
Chemistry is preferred at Higher Level, but not essential. Due to the reforms in A levels, it will be very difficult for you to take this as an independent candidate as we require a pass in the practical element for Science A levels and this is very difficult to arrange as a private candidate. We would not insist on Chemistry A level if you were to apply to us.

Hope that helps!

Persephone
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

I passed your message on to the Admissions Officer for Biology (Ecology and Conservation) MBiol and this was the response:

We do not discriminate against students who choose to re-sit.

You should make sure the grade for the Higher Level you are retaking goes into the 'qualifications to be completed' section of your application, and that a predicted grade is given for this.
Chemistry is preferred at Higher Level, but not essential. Due to the reforms in A levels, it will be very difficult for you to take this as an independent candidate as we require a pass in the practical element for Science A levels and this is very difficult to arrange as a private candidate. We would not insist on Chemistry A level if you were to apply to us.
Hope that helps!

Persephone

Hello Persephone

Thank you so much! :smile:
Please convey my gratitude to the Admissions Officer too,

ibprocrastinator
Hi,

I've applied to study modern languages at Newcastle starting 2017. I was wondering if you could tell me what the weekly contact hours are. (If it helps I'm thinking that my combination will probably be French, German and ab initio Portuguese.)

Many thanks
Original post by langnerd
Hi,

I've applied to study modern languages at Newcastle starting 2017. I was wondering if you could tell me what the weekly contact hours are. (If it helps I'm thinking that my combination will probably be French, German and ab initio Portuguese.)

Many thanks

Hello,

I have forwarded your query to the Modern Languages department so we should be hearing from them soon!

Hope this helps!
Kezia
Original post by LadybirdOrange
Nutrition

Hello,

We've forwarded your query to our Admissions Officer for Nutrition
and here's their response:
"Predicted grades are only one element and would look at the full UCAS application, together with the subjects that are studied for entry to the degree programme. The enquirer may also wish to look into the Partners programme which is Newcastle University's supported entry route for students from schools and colleges in England and Wales see website http://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/partners/"

Hope this helps!

Kezia
Reply 210
Hi! I've got my place for Newcastle next year but was just wondering what its actually like? How much do you go out? Whats the accomodation like? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure its the right choice!

Thank youuu!!
Original post by langnerd
Hi,

Many thanks

Hello,

I've forwarded your message to our Admissions Officer for Modern Languages, and they have sent me a sample timetable for a similar combination.

Hope this helps!

Kezia
Hello,

I've forwarded your message to our Admissions Officer for Modern Languages, and they have sent me a sample timetable for a similar combination.

Hope this helps!

Kezia

Thank you for all your help!!
Hi, I have applied to do a BA Geography and I was wondering if there were any sample timetables available? Also, on average how many clubs or societies would you say each student is involved in? Thanks in advance
Original post by jfp123
Hi! I've got my place for Newcastle next year but was just wondering what its actually like? How much do you go out? Whats the accomodation like? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure its the right choice!

Thank youuu!!

Hey, congrats on your offer!

Well, those are quite big questions! Have a look at our student blogs to find some answers and opinions :smile:

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions!

All the best,

Persephone
Is there a sample timetable for food and nutrition?
How many people apply to the Civil Engineering course? If I were to get offered AAB with the A in maths but got ABB on results day with a B in maths would I still get accepted or not?
Original post by grace_parry
Hi, I have applied to do a BA Geography and I was wondering if there were any sample timetables available? Also, on average how many clubs or societies would you say each student is involved in? Thanks in advance

Hi,

Here's a timetable from a current first year student :smile: You'll have optional modules right from the start, though, so everyone's timetable is slightly different depending on what options they've picked. You can see the list of modules currently offered for the Geography BA here :smile:

I don't think there's an 'average' number of clubs and societies that people are involved in. Usually people sign up to everything they're interested in at the start of first year and try a lot of things out. As an example I guess I signed up to just under 10 societies in First Year and narrowed it down to 3 or 4 main ones in Second Year. In my Third Year I concentrated on one - but I was running it, so that left less time for other stuff :P It totally depends, though. If you're in a sports club at a high level then training could take up a lot of your time, for example. You can see a list of societies here and sports clubs here.

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Original post by Hussxni19
How many people apply to the Civil Engineering course? If I were to get offered AAB with the A in maths but got ABB on results day with a B in maths would I still get accepted or not?

Hi,

For Civil Engineering BEng there are usually around 150 applications.

If you dropped a grade on results day and missed the conditions of your offer as a result, your application would still be considered. You'd count as a 'near miss' and the academic selector would look at your application alongside everyone else in the same situation. They'd take into account your personal statement, academic reference, supporting documentation etc.

Hope that helps,

Persephone
Hi, I've applied for Newcastle but I've also applied through PARTNERS. I was wondering whether this would make any difference as to the length of time taken to receive an offer?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest