The Student Room Group

The Reasons Why Foreigners Get Priority Housing over Citizens

So one reason I literally voted to Leave was because of my concerns with the ever-increasing rate of homelessness in this country and unfair housing, for example leaning towards foreigners for priority. Not saying they don't do this but...

as far as my opinion goes, as well as what I have gone thru over the years claiming homelessness yet being denied placement by council repeatedly, and compared to my recent placement and why they explained I now qualified, here's what I have straightened out as far as why who gets housed:

migrant-coming from a country to another, to work or study, with/without prospects but normally without, finds work or attends school,needs documented proof they work, or are looking through JSA with proof also documented. Shows this to council and gets housed or is put on a placement list and given temporary accommodation, or referred to someone in private sector housing who accepts housing benefits.

I did not know the bit about them supposedly getting housed because they show proof they work and migrant/foreigner or not, will not get housed (supposedly) if they show they don't work. The situation still remains the same though that the government has turned an eye on necessary regulations.

The issue also is:

they don't house people if they are "intended homeless" (1. arrears, 2. moved out/left residence and then claimed homeless, 3. has property elsewhere, 4. no proof they work and don't even try through JSA). Yet migrants often fall under those very categories. At least the 1st 3.

Yet, if you are a British citizen and are one of the 4 or more, you get put on the street/left homeless. :eyeball: The only "exception" is battered/pregnant women. If you are British in any of the 4 above circumstances and have a child but are not battered you will not be helped. For the unbattered, unemployed foreigner with children they will be helped.

Shame. But, yes, for the single stray foreign person who is not working or who has no proof they have worked within I think 3 weeks or 3 months (it's a 3) they will be turnt away. If you have proof you have been working and are foreign, you might be housed or placed temporarily and probably before a citizen because of "level of vulnerability."

illegal immigrant-comes from country unemployed, with/without prospects but normally with. Somehow gets residence and employment but it is undocumented. So if the go to council for support, they will either be found out and reported and hopefully deported, or turned away for not having any documented proof that they work.

Refugee-as an individual or only with your immediate family and are fleeing apparent civil or political unrest or danger. Supposedly they would be put in a refuge center and helped from there.

So in a nutshell:

British citizens: if you want to be housed through council which is what they're here for:

1. Work legally with proof or show proof you are looking thru JSA

and or

2. Do not be "intended homeless" or in arrears, no proof of work nor seeking,

and/or

3. Do not have property elsewhere

and/or

4. Do not just leave your house without the landlord saying you must and expecting council to give you a new place :rofl:

Do neither of those and be a battered woman or pregnant and your priority increases but you still might not get housed. You might get a B&B extended stay.

Foreigners looking for a placement/housing:
1. Be single without kids and have proof of work 3 wks ago
2. Have children and do absolutely nothing else.

Ta-ra.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes? No?
Reply 2
I always had my suspicions about this. I would be surprised if it didn't extend to non-whites generally getting priority over whites. The vast majority of homeless people I see are white British, even in London. I would assume there are ethnic groups with higher rates of unemployment and drug use so how to explain the discrepancy?
OP

please go away and return when you understand how social housing in the UK is allocated rather than believing the effluent produced by the far right

most 'migrants' have no entitlement as they are either on a Visa which do not allow recourse to public funds and/or they have no 'local link' with any LA in the UK ...

i also wonder if you are confusing eligibility for Housing benefit and to register to bid for social housing with eligibilty for emergency accomodation beyond the initial period and priority in the bidding process ...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
OP

please go away and return when you understand how social housing in the UK is allocated rather than belieivign the effluent produced by the far right

most 'migrants' have no entitlement as they are either on a Visa which do not allow recourse to public funds and/or they have no 'local link' with any LA in the UK ...

i also wonder if you are ocnfusing eligibility for Housing benefit and to register to bid for social housing with eligibilty for emergency accomodation beyond the initlas period and priority in the bidding process ...

What? ...

Anyway no what I said was right.

And I'm clearly on about eligibility for emergency housing... I only mentioned housing benefits once and that was just an example of why people don't want to be housed in the private sector, because it might not take housing benefits...

Perhaps read the OP again or at all.

And no I won't "go away." "Go away" where? I'm online...where am I meant to go to make a thread? lol

And I don't know why you're quoting migrants...?
My friend, firstly you were born male. You have no right to ask for anything in this sexist, matriarchal society that caters only to women in every aspect of life.

Secondly, migrants are in a worse position than you especially those seeking political asylum who's purpose for being here isn't work or settlement but rather a last resort to save themselves and their family. The majority of them wind up forced to work in the black market simply because they cannot get the documentation to work legally let alone be housed. Often they wind up living in rent, or shacks or hotels amongst many other people where abuse, suffering and victimisation are rife. You cannot compare yourself and your suffering as a native to that of a migrant. You cannot. You as a male have no right to help in this country but you are still one step above being a migrant.

As for your reference to migrant privilege. I used to work in a pharmacy in Cambridge. The majority of locals were on some form of governmental support or another. few paid their way. The odd person that came into the pharmacy that looked foreign, worked and paid for their prescription. There's a strong culture of entitlement to free money from the government amongst the natives in this country and many work, but lie to get subsidies and allowances.

P.S. no matter how much I write about this issue you will not understand. the only way you can truly appreciate the plight of an immigrant is to become one yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's the fault of every government for the past 30 years selling off council houses and not building new stock. We've now got the absurd situation of housing benefit enriching private landlords at the taxpayer's expense. Osbourne even admitted that the Tories won't build more social housing because there's nothing in it for them as they tend to be occupied by Labour voters.

In short you're blaming the wrong people for the problem.
Original post by JamesN88
It's the fault of every government for the past 30 years selling off council houses and not building new stock. We've now got the absurd situation of housing benefit enriching private landlords at the taxpayer's expense. Osbourne even admitted that the Tories won't build more social housing because there's nothing in it for them as they tend to be occupied by Labour voters.

You are confusing social housing with T'Cahncil ( or T'Coal Board or T'Railway) as landlord of choice ...

In the 1970s / 1980s the estate of the council as landlord did not match the need for social housing for those with an actual social housing need, arguably buy to let could have been restricted ( less deep discounting for instance ) and the concept of the ALMO / housing association charging 'affordable' or ' slightly less than market' rents been pushed harder ...

why should someone who through look has managed to get or inherit a council tenancy be paying upto a third less than market rent for a property regardless of their ability to pay ...

I wonder how many canal boats, static caravans , chalets / lodges would have to be sold if councils charged market rents for their rump of 'landlord of choice' tenants ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
What? ...

Anyway no what I said was right.

And I'm clearly on about eligibility for emergency housing... I only mentioned housing benefits once and that was just an example of why people don't want to be housed in the private sector, because it might not take housing benefits...

Perhaps read the OP again or at all.

And no I won't "go away." "Go away" where? I'm online...where am I meant to go to make a thread? lol

And I don't know why you're quoting migrants...?

Emergency housing for someone who does NOT have a local link is a hostel bed or B+B for 28 days ... once , assuming they are somone whose immigration status allows them recourse to public funds.

If someone has a local link and an immigration status that allows recourse to public funds - they get the emergency accomodation until they are found a first suitable offer (or offers) from the local housing authority or can secure an ordinary tenancy / licence which may be funded in full or part by housing benefit.

as for 'going away ' i.e. step away from posting ill-informed material , which borders on hate speech and actually understand the issue before offering your 'expert' opinion

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-housing-if-homeless

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/help_from_the_council_when_homeless/eligibility_for_assistance
Have you got a reliable source for your assumption that 'foreigners' (what a bigoted term that is) get any sort of preference in housing decisions? Or is this just 'I think', 'I assume' or 'someone in the pub told me that..' ?

This is just bar-room polemic without any basis in fact.
Whether you get housing is based on your needs and whether of course, there's soemthing suitable for your needs. I had to move out of my parents house just under 2 years ago because their house was unsuitable for me. After making a complaint about how someone quite obviously hadn't read what had been written, I got moved to somewhere else pretty quick.

I wonder how many of you really know how housing allocation in the UK really works?
Original post by returnmigrant
Have you got a reliable source for your assumption that 'foreigners' (what a bigoted term that is) get any sort of preference in housing decisions? Or is this just 'I think', 'I assume' or 'someone in the pub told me that..' ?

purely bar room polemic

also i think people confuse 'getting a council house' with 'getting support from the welfare state with accomodation ' and also confuse properties which are leased by the home office to accomodate asylum seekers etc with social housing ...
Original post by Tiger Rag
<snip>

I wonder how many of you really know how housing allocation in the UK really works?

99% of the people who start such threads are just regurgitatiing the party political polemic of their choice,

whether that;s the Kippers and the far right claiming that 'foreigners' get to jump the 'queue' ( time based allocations are long dead in the UK social housing sector )

or the loonie left and far left claiming that the answer to the housing problems is plattenbau built by the state ( and conveniently the reason right to buy came round aside from an ideological stuff) was because the labour councils had failed to maintain and develop their housing stock since the interwar and post WW2 pushes ... never mind the unsuitability by size of the properties built at that time to the evolving social housing need...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
Emergency housing for someone who does NOT have a local link is a hostel bed or B+B for 28 days ... once , assuming they are somone whose immigration status allows them recourse to public funds.

If someone has a local link and an immigration status that allows recourse to public funds - they get the emergency accomodation until they are found a first suitable offer (or offers) from the local housing authority or can secure an ordinary tenancy / licence which may be funded in full or part by housing benefit.

as for 'going away ' i.e. step away from posting ill-informed material , which borders on hate speech and actually understand the issue before offering your 'expert' opinion

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-housing-if-homeless

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/help_from_the_council_when_homeless/eligibility_for_assistance

I never said it was expert at all and ok because I'm white male it's hate speech.

Great.

Anyway I've been through this before, you don't have to link anything to me. I've been down to my local council many times before because I've been homeless and turned away but let me remember I'm on the internet where aggressive social justice warriors roam. I literally have no idea why you're typing so angrily.
Original post by zippyRN
99% of the people who start such threads are just regurgitatiing the party political polemic of their choice,

whether that;s the Kippers and the far right claiming that 'foreigners' get to jump the 'queue' ( time based allocations are long dead in the UK social housing sector )

or the loonie left and far left claiming that the answer to the housing problems is plattenbau built by the state ( and conveniently the reason right to buy came round aside from an ideological stuff) was because the labour councils had failed to maintain and develop their housing stock since the interwar and post WW2 pushes ... never mind the unsuitability by size of the properties built at that time to the evolving social housing need...

I'm in the 1% :h:

Also, everyone's is regurgitating everyone aren't they? You posting links is regurgitating what members of the government put on their website...

well my source, as my OP stated, is similar to you linking websites, based off of a heated conversation with several public housing officers when I went down firing concerns for why certain people left with keys and may times before I had not.

So if you take issue with me...you take issue with them...as I do...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant

Did you come in here just to say you assume I discovered this information at a pub? Now who's being judgemental.

But based on your username I couldn't care less where this conversation goes, however you could have at least disputed what I posted with your own substantial evidence...
Original post by JamesN88

Wait who was I blaming...?
Original post by CookieButter
My friend, firstly you were born male. You have no right to ask for anything in this sexist, matriarchal society that caters only to women in every aspect of life.

Secondly, migrants are in a worse position than you especially those seeking political asylum who's purpose for being here isn't work or settlement but rather a last resort to save themselves and their family. The majority of them wind up forced to work in the black market simply because they cannot get the documentation to work legally let alone be housed. Often they wind up living in rent, or shacks or hotels amongst many other people where abuse, suffering and victimisation are rife. You cannot compare yourself and your suffering as a native to that of a migrant. You cannot. You as a male have no right to help in this country but you are still one step above being a migrant.

As for your reference to migrant privilege. I used to work in a pharmacy in Cambridge. The majority of locals were on some form of governmental support or another. few paid their way. The odd person that came into the pharmacy that looked foreign, worked and paid for their prescription. There's a strong culture of entitlement to free money from the government amongst the natives in this country and many work, but lie to get subsidies and allowances.

P.S. no matter how much I write about this issue you will not understand. the only way you can truly appreciate the plight of an immigrant is to become one yourself.

disgusting
Anyway what I said is true.

Let's not get caught up in the e-hysteria.
The facts still remain:

if you are British and want emergency housing you have to be working, show you are looking for work, not have property elsewhere, and not leave the residence at your own accord.

How is any of this "hate speech"? ^^^^^

Pop down to your local council and copy and paste the bold above and read it to them and watch them agree.
Original post by 0to100
So one reason I literally voted to Leave was because of my concerns with the ever-increasing rate of homelessness in this country and unfair housing, for example leaning towards foreigners for priority. Not saying they don't do this but...

as far as my opinion goes, as well as what I have gone thru over the years claiming homelessness yet being denied placement by council repeatedly, and compared to my recent placement and why they explained I now qualified, here's what I have straightened out as far as why who gets housed:

migrant-coming from a country to another, to work or study, with/without prospects but normally without, finds work or attends school,needs documented proof they work, or are looking through JSA with proof also documented. Shows this to council and gets housed or is put on a placement list and given temporary accommodation, or referred to someone in private sector housing who accepts housing benefits.

I did not know the bit about them supposedly getting housed because they show proof they work and migrant/foreigner or not, will not get housed (supposedly) if they show they don't work. The situation still remains the same though that the government has turned an eye on necessary regulations.

The issue also is:

they don't house people if they are "intended homeless" (1. arrears, 2. moved out/left residence and then claimed homeless, 3. has property elsewhere, 4. no proof they work and don't even try through JSA). Yet migrants often fall under those very categories. At least the 1st 3.

Yet, if you are a British citizen and are one of the 4 or more, you get put on the street/left homeless. :eyeball: The only "exception" is battered/pregnant women. If you are British in any of the 4 above circumstances and have a child but are not battered you will not be helped. For the unbattered, unemployed foreigner with children they will be helped.

Shame. But, yes, for the single stray foreign person who is not working or who has no proof they have worked within I think 3 weeks or 3 months (it's a 3) they will be turnt away. If you have proof you have been working and are foreign, you might be housed or placed temporarily and probably before a citizen because of "level of vulnerability."

illegal immigrant-comes from country unemployed, with/without prospects but normally with. Somehow gets residence and employment but it is undocumented. So if the go to council for support, they will either be found out and reported and hopefully deported, or turned away for not having any documented proof that they work.

Refugee-as an individual or only with your immediate family and are fleeing apparent civil or political unrest or danger. Supposedly they would be put in a refuge center and helped from there.

So in a nutshell:

British citizens: if you want to be housed through council which is what they're here for:

1. Work legally with proof or show proof you are looking thru JSA

and or

2. Do not be "intended homeless" or in arrears, no proof of work nor seeking,

and/or

3. Do not have property elsewhere

and/or

4. Do not just leave your house without the landlord saying you must and expecting council to give you a new place :rofl:

Do neither of those and be a battered woman or pregnant and your priority increases but you still might not get housed. You might get a B&B extended stay.

Foreigners looking for a placement/housing:
1. Be single without kids and have proof of work 3 wks ago
2. Have children and do absolutely nothing else.

Ta-ra.

i totally understand you on why you voted to leave and other people. it is one thing i never understood. there are thousand of britsh people who are homeless and vunerable who do not get somewhere to have a roof on to of thier head and some make excuses that other are on a waiting list yet they let the migrants come in ???
i am not blaming the migrants but the government, council etc can't take care of people who live in britain and then they let more people coming in which increases the number of homeless people.

Latest

Trending

Trending