The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I applied to Imperial and Bath on the 14th October and have only received an acknowledgement email from them as of yet. Should I contact the universities? It seems like others have gotten offers/interviews from these universities by now.
Original post by masonetiainen
I applied to Imperial and Bath on the 14th October and have only received an acknowledgement email from them as of yet. Should I contact the universities? It seems like others have gotten offers/interviews from these universities by now.

... and many haven't.

Just wait... average is 7 weeks. And don't forget the reply may be a rejection.
Original post by jneill
... and many haven't.

Just wait... average is 7 weeks. And don't forget the reply may be a rejection.

Yeah, I guess I'm just overthinking it. I wouldn't forget that, as that's what's bothering me. What I meant was that seeing other people getting offers and interviews who applied around the same time as I did makes me wonder if I'm likely to get a rejection. I wasn't assuming to get an offer/interview. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, I guess I'm just overthinking it. I wouldn't forget that, as that's what's bothering me. What I meant was that seeing other people getting offers and interviews who applied around the same as I did makes me wonder if I'm likely to get a rejection. I wasn't assuming to get an offer/interview. :smile:

I applied two weeks ago and still nothing from Bath besides the acknowledgement email, but I like to think university admission tutors are busy people. I worry about a rejection but it's not the end of the world, I have heard Bath aren't sure about how competitive the course is going to be yet this year, so that might be why they are taking a while. I also think we just missed the first round of interviews. :smile:
Was everyone who went on the Manchester Interview/Open day given an offer at the end of it?
Original post by emduck
I applied two weeks ago and still nothing from Bath besides the acknowledgement email, but I like to think university admission tutors are busy people. I worry about a rejection but it's not the end of the world, I have heard Bath aren't sure about how competitive the course is going to be yet this year, so that might be why they are taking a while. I also think we just missed the first round of interviews. :smile:

Thanks for the reply, it was reassuring. :smile:
I hope you get the offers you want! Which other universities did you apply to, and what did you get at AS level if you don't mind me asking?
Just got an offer from UCL for Chemical Engineering MEng :biggrin:
AAA including Maths and Chemistry
Now I got UCL, Birmingham and Warwick's offer in hand.
Imperial and Cambridge to go!
Thanks for the reply, it was reassuring. :smile:
I hope you get the offers you want! Which other universities did you apply to, and what did you get at AS level if you don't mind me asking?

I applied to Edinburgh, Sheffield, Newcastle and Heriot-Watt :smile: I only did a couple of As levels as my school only made us do them if they were modular or if we were dropping a linear subject. I got a B in maths (though I am resitting core 2), an A in biology and an A in general studies (which is useless). My predicted grades are A* in Chemistry, A in Physics and A in maths. Could've been an A* in physics but I didn't fancy harassing my teacher for it at the time.
Original post by emduck
I applied to Edinburgh, Sheffield, Newcastle and Heriot-Watt :smile: I only did a couple of As levels as my school only made us do them if they were modular or if we were dropping a linear subject. I got a B in maths (though I am resitting core 2), an A in biology and an A in general studies (which is useless). My predicted grades are A* in Chemistry, A in Physics and A in maths. Could've been an A* in physics but I didn't fancy harassing my teacher for it at the time.

I've got an offer from Edinburgh.
Original post by emduck

Oh cool, I live near Newcastle and the university looks quite pretty at night. Sometimes they have purple lights around the campus which make the buildings look great. It seemed to have good facilities from what I saw at the open day, I didn't apply though as I'd like to move to a new place. Oh of course, I forgot about the new A levels, I finished mine last year so I thankfully just missed the change. Those are really good predicted grades, well done. :biggrin:
Original post by timster32
I've got an offer from Edinburgh.

I have an offer from them too :smile:
Oh cool, I live near Newcastle and the university looks quite pretty at night. Sometimes they have purple lights around the campus which make the buildings look great. It seemed to have good facilities from what I saw at the open day, I didn't apply though as I'd like to move to a new place. Oh of course, I forgot about the new A levels, I finished mine last year so I thankfully just missed the change. Those are really good predicted grades, well done. :biggrin:

Thanks! I quite liked Newcastle, I would like to go there or Bath.
Original post by emduck
Thanks! I quite liked Newcastle, I would like to go there or Bath.

Yeah it's a nice city, I don't appreciate it as much as I maybe should. Good luck with your application. :smile:
Original post by ML8020
Just got an offer from UCL for Chemical Engineering MEng :biggrin:
AAA including Maths and Chemistry
Now I got UCL, Birmingham and Warwick's offer in hand.
Imperial and Cambridge to go!

I didn't think Warwick did chem eng?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by munchkin1212
I didn't think Warwick did chem eng?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for Chem Eng in Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Birmingham and Mech Eng in Warwick (with a pure Chem Eng PS and no substitute PS handed in XD)
In the end it seems fine:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ML8020
I applied for Chem Eng in Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Birmingham and Mech Eng in Warwick (with a pure Chem Eng PS and no substitute PS handed in XD)

When did you get apply?? You were obviously an early applicant
Original post by ML8020

Wow, well done you! I thought it would've been a straight rejection from Warwick... Do you think they would still give offers for other engineering courses with a chem eng PS?
Just received an offer from Bath! Over the moon:biggrin:
Original post by timster32
What kind of questions do they ask in the interview?

Nothing to worry about. Make sure you have good answers to why chem eng and what it is etc.
You will likely be asked a technical question. I can't say what you will get asked but at my interview I was asked an a level maths question on series. Every interviewer is different
Original post by FusionNetworks
Nothing to worry about. Make sure you have good answers to why chem eng and what it is etc.
You will likely be asked a technical question. I can't say what you will get asked but at my interview I was asked an a level maths question on series. Every interviewer is different

Ok, thanks very much mate!

Quick Reply

Latest