The Student Room Group

I voted Brexit AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmeliaLost
People talk about immigration in to England, but did you consider the opportunity for British people to live and work elsewhere in the EU? Also, what with this being a student forum, the affect it's threatening to have on universities and research institutions?

British people who want to live and work elsewhere in the EU are arguably more highly-skilled, and therefore economically more valuable to the nation; they'll be a way round it trust me.
Original post by shawn_o1
But the Swiss are in the European single market and therefore have loads of migrants (you see it in their football team lol)

Yeah Shaquiri :lol:

Hmm, immigration isn't a problem, the line has to be drawn somewhere though.

Then add criminals, freeloaders etc into the mix.
Original post by shawn_o1
I commend you. The anti - racists all voted Remain because they want no differences between anyone on the planet... except how much they earn.

Funny, isn't it, how 'equality' is pushed so militantly in all spheres, excepting the financial one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Danny the Geezer
I couldn't give a toss tbh, we're always going to be called "racist" (see above). Xenophobia, or patriotism?? Where do you draw the line?

These people who call Britain a racist country are probably the same people benefitting from it's foreign aid, it's intervention in usurping tyrants and dictators etc etc etc etc

I see - how do you feel about this article then? Does it represent the Britain of tomorrow?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3903436/Enemies-people-Fury-touch-judges-defied-17-4m-Brexit-voters-trigger-constitutional-crisis.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _Fergo
How do you feel now that Britain has acquired new epithets and titles around the world, such as racist, xenophobic, insane and so on?

That they are the cheap, shallow, faux-high minded, self-righteous sanctimony and smears of people largely arguing in their own, or their own nations interests, or for their own ideology- be it the dissolution of the nation state, 'post democracy'(in the case of Jack Straw's backing for the EU) or their view of economics- globalist corporate and bankster monopoly(complete with rabid, profiteering, war mongering), and massive inequality, with 'nativist' workforces that won't work for no affordable housing and living on food donations, are rubbished continually and undercut with virtual slave labour from abroad to make fat cats richer and richer, who then in turn demean and insult these same swathes of people who've been sold out, and try and smear them(as above).

And that the contrived, confected race issue is used as a veil to hide their motives and to stifle others principled opposition to this insufferable sham, which the callous and smug care not one bit about?(not to mention to inculcate fear and obedience in pliable people, manipulated fraudulently into guilt, who are on the fence but have all these concerns deep down)

And that the shrill and 'virtue loud hailering' as evidenced above, can generally be trusted about as far as you can throw a Bowing 747?

It was all intimately tied up, this issue, with perpetuation of a massive power imbalance and consolidation of it and trying to end people's say indefinitely.

I hope that moves people.

#realness.
(edited 7 years ago)

If brexit doesnt go ahead, and im confident it will, thered be an uprising and anarchy never before seen, you thought brixton, toxteth, tottenham, moss side were bad??
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
That they are the cheap, shallow, faux-high minded, self-righteous sanctimony and smears of people largely arguing in their own, or their own nations interests, or for their own ideology- be it the dissolution of the nation state, 'post democracy'(in the case of Jack Straw's backing for the EU) or their view of economics- globalist corporate and bankster monopoly(complete with rabid, profiteering, war mongering), and massive inequality, with 'nativist' workforces that won't work for no affordable housing and living on food donations, are rubbished continually and undercut with virtual slave labour from abroad to make fat cats richer and richer, who then in turn demean and insult these same swathes of people who've been sold out, and try and smear them(as above).

And that the contrived, confected race issue is used as a veil to hide their motives and to stifle others principled opposition to this insufferable sham, which the callous and smug care not one bit about?(not to mention to inculcate fear and obedience on pliable people who are on the fence but have all these concerns deep down)

And that the shrill and 'virtue loud hailering'(# that if if you like!!) as evidenced above, can generally be trusted about as far as you can throw a Bowing 747?

It was all intimately tied up, this issue, with perpetuation of a massive power imbalance and consolidation of it and trying to end people's say indefinitely.

I hope that moves people.

#realness.

Hear hear!
Original post by adam9317
Quite correct. We didn't surrender to the Nazis of the 1940s; so why do the same to the Nazis of the present day!

In my opinion Merkel is nearly as bad as Hitler, she has probably done more damage to Europe than Hitler had done. And at least Hitler did some good things.
and a lot of the damage Merkel has done is nearly irreversible.

Hopefully I will see the fall of the EU within my lifetime or at least other nations voting to leave.
Thanks, that's what it's about it's about liberation. Switzerland afaik (feel free to correct me!) isn't an EU nation and has one of the highest GDPs in Europe so I don't see how it will have that many negative economical connotations.

Think you will find Switzeland exports 50% of its goods to the EU.
It has the largest non resident population in the world. Just under 25%.
It pays the EU billions for access to the single market.
It has signed up to free movement of people.
They have a far greater level of immigration from the EU than does the UK.
Reply 29
If brexit doesnt go ahead, and im confident it will, thered be an uprising and anarchy never before seen, you thought brixton, toxteth, tottenham, moss side were bad??

So, you agree with the article?
OK why? Because it's about the preservation of our country.

Surely you realise Brexit will do exactly the opposite? :dong: Leaving the EU all but guarantees Scotland becoming independent, and possibly Northern Ireland too. It's nice that you feel proud to be British, I suggest you savour that feeling for Britain probably won't exist in 10 years' time.

I'll quote you on that in a year's time :wink:
OK why? Because it's about the preservation of our culture, thus subsequently, our country, which has been diluted by too much immigration. You can give me the figures of Net Migration and those that come as opposed to those that leave but ultimately with our welfare state and subsidised/free healthcare, beautiful women, just the British way of life really, not to mention what I call "quintessential British culture", we have to protect that, unfortunately everyone wants a slice of it, also unfortunately, we're an already over-crowded small island nation, so we can't accomodate the 7 billion inhabitants of the world. Also with so many races and religons and languages coming together I have started to feel alien in "my own" country, I'm very proud to be British. I just feel that, and I'm sure I'm not alone, (in fact I know I'm not, as there were circa 17.5m people who voted Brexit), that something has to be done, if there was a vote to leave the Commonwealth I'd be voting leave too.

Man, move on! It's not the Victorian era! I suppose you live on a diet of bread and chicken? Don't even go to MacDonald's - it's too American. Sushi, of course, is out of the question. What do "beautiful women" have to do with anything? Have you seen the Danish? Or the Australians? As an educated British citizen, you must surely have read some Dickens at some point. Do you really want to go back to that, as the world moves on around you? I totally get that every country is proud of itself, and wants to be independant and all to some extent - that's good, and completely natural - but History is quite merciless there: even if Brexit does happen, the rest of the world hasn't gone in a time-machine back to "Rule Britannia"!
Thanks, that's what it's about it's about liberation. Switzerland afaik (feel free to correct me!) isn't an EU nation and has one of the highest GDPs in Europe so I don't see how it will have that many negative economical connotations.

The Swiss have a deal with the EU allowing for partial access to the single market, specifically for financial services (one of the main drivers of the Swiss economy). This means the Swiss pay into the EU budget and adhere to EU rules without any say in them.

There seems to be a myth going around that the Swiss don't have to obey EU rules. This is utterly false. As soon as the EU passes new regulation, the Swiss government make this a part of their own legislation. When Brussels changes its rules, Switzerland loses access until it changes its laws too. It is one of the most foolhardy things to assume that the Swiss have retained their sovereignty whilst gaining access to the single market.

So, if the UK were to do well outside the EU as the Swiss have done economically, it would have to involve access to the single market. Access to the single market means doing what Brussels tells you to do. From my point of view, the UK may end up in the same situation as before economically (I hope!), just with less sovereignty and no say in rules and regulations we must obey.

I find it ironic that so many voted to leave thinking power would be returned to home, when the likelihood is, more power will go to Brussels.

“If you want to run the EU, stay in the EU. If you want to be run by the EU, feel free to join us in the EAA.” Nikolai Astrup, Norwegian MP
Question - What do you think about Scottish independence?

I ask because I find that almost everyone who voted to protect "quintessential British culture" completely disagree when I say I want to protect "quintessential Scottish culture" which is funny.
Original post by AmeliaLost
People talk about immigration in to England, but did you consider the opportunity for British people to live and work elsewhere in the EU? Also, what with this being a student forum, the affect it's threatening to have on universities and research institutions?

The older generation voting for a future they won't have.
OK why? Because it's about the preservation of our culture, thus subsequently, our country, which has been diluted by too much immigration. You can give me the figures of Net Migration and those that come as opposed to those that leave but ultimately with our welfare state and subsidised/free healthcare, beautiful women, just the British way of life really, not to mention what I call "quintessential British culture", we have to protect that, unfortunately everyone wants a slice of it, also unfortunately, we're an already over-crowded small island nation, so we can't accomodate the 7 billion inhabitants of the world. Also with so many races and religons and languages coming together I have started to feel alien in "my own" country, I'm very proud to be British. I just feel that, and I'm sure I'm not alone, (in fact I know I'm not, as there were circa 17.5m people who voted Brexit), that something has to be done, if there was a vote to leave the Commonwealth I'd be voting leave too.

What has 'beautiful women' got to do with it? lol
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
What has 'beautiful women' got to do with it? lol

apparently white= beautiful ok... :rofl:
Original post by wolfmoon88
apparently white= beautiful ok... :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:
OK why? Because it's about the preservation of our culture, thus subsequently, our country, which has been diluted by too much immigration.

Whilst I'm British, I've lived in California for 9 years. The US has a similar sentiment polluting the election - somewhat odd for a country founded by immigration. The UK was ahead of the US in terms of welcoming different races and cultures, not that there haven't been issues. I'm extremely concerned that there is a resurgence of racism behind some of the leave vote.

I find it sad that so many do not want to be European - the world needs more mixing of people, not less. Whilst the EU is far from perfect, and many countries want reform, it was succeeding in improving relationships between most of its people, IMO.

The UK has economically punched above its weight for a long time, but it's unlikely to continue indefinitely. Having the option for its citizens to live and work anywhere in the EU is a massive benefit, both for employees and employers. I lived and worked in Paris for 4 years, and may retire somewhere in Europe. Without reciprocal healthcare, British retirees living in Europe are going to be left in an impossible position.

Quick Reply

Latest