The Student Room Group

Is 8 hours a week too much for someone doing A-Levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
That should be fine. My school recommends no more than 10 hours a week. But with those A levels I think you will be fine as long as you can time manage well.
Original post by electrahearts
sounds fine - i work 4, sometimes 8 with overtime and it doesn't affect my work at all. i think you have to ask yourself realistically how many hours you spend per week doing work outside of school - it's probably not as many as you think

What subjects do you do?
Reply 22
Original post by MajorFader
What were your subjects?

Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics for AS. In A2 I dropped physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What subjects do you do?

History, English Lit & Psychology - so i have a LOT of revision and essays haha
Thanks, are you an A2 student? What are your other subjects?

AS, I'm also doing Psychology and Sociology along with an EPQ.
I do 16 hours atm and managing so far! But my sixth form advised 8 so you should be fine
Should be fine, I did 2-4 throughout the year and actually about 8 during exams.
Reply 27
WTF my sixth form advised 14 hours.They aren't even good :o:o

So is 8 sufficient?
Oh yes, dont worry it shouldnt affect you! :h:

I work 20-23 hours a week, but have free weekends. I dont get much time to revise/ do my homework and the only time i get free, i procrastinate :/ coz i dont feel like doing any college work after work :colonhash: i try and do my college work in my frees between lessons though, but yh that's no where near the amount of time i need to do everything :frown: So most days, i end up being up late at night do them.
A pain seriously
That is affecting me :/

But 8 hours is fine :h:
Original post by My Moon <3
Oh yes, dont worry it shouldnt affect you! :h:

I work 20-23 hours a week, but have free weekends. I dont get much time to revise/ do my homework and the only time i get free, i procrastinate :/ coz i dont feel like doing any college work after work :colonhash: i try and do my college work in my frees between lessons though, but yh that's no where near the amount of time i need to do everything :frown: So most days, i end up being up late at night do them.
A pain seriously
That is affecting me :/

But 8 hours is fine :h:

Lool your personality shines through that paragraph, unorganised.😂
What subjects do you do? Year 12 or 13? Thanks for your reply
Lool your personality shines through that paragraph, unorganised.😂
What subjects do you do? Year 12 or 13? Thanks for your reply

LMAO :rofl: someone's judging me i guess :emo:
biology,chemistry and maths. In year 12 :h:
Wbu?
Reply 31
I do 25 hours/ week and i can't manage my time, I get monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to do anything I need before im in work at 5 till 10 on thurs and Sunday and 5-2 Friday and Saturday
the amount of people telling you that 8 hours a week is too much makes me fear for the future. You should be doing at leased 2 hours a day, outside of school. I know that hardly anyone knows what a hard days work is any more but set a good example and do some hard bloody work for your future. you'll thank yourself.
Original post by My Moon <3
LMAO :rofl: someone's judging me i guess :emo:
biology,chemistry and maths. In year 12 :h:
Wbu?

Year12 Maths economics and politics
Year12 Maths economics and politics

oh sorry it says in your first post lol :tongue:
Quality's much more important than quantity when it comes to revision. Better to revise comfortably and in spaced-out intervals rather than burn yourself out during a long period of time. That way, you'll retain stuff better in the long run.

I think 8 hours sounds okay to me, if you feel it's neither too much, nor too little. I think I do around 10 hours a week in school study periods alone. I don't time myself during weekends but I think I do about 2 hours on average, sometimes more and sometimes less. Depends on my mood and how much homework I have. Some weekends I just chill if I have no homework and I understood my recent lessons.
When I was in Year 12, the sixth form leaders at my school recommended that everyone studies at least 5 hours per subject per week, (e.g. if you are an AS student studying 4 subjects you should be aiming for a weekly 20 hours). My brain wears out pretty quickly so I don't think that would've been a suitable study plan for me, but it suited other people.

The only person who can determine how much time you need is yourself, as everyone is different. While some people feel comfortable with 7 hours a week of revision, others feel 27 is more beneficial for them. Just as long as you do enough revision for yourself, then you should be fine.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest