The Student Room Group

Showing that AB

Although for the maths users here, whewhich of the working out for the image would you typically opt for, or would you even solve by another method?

-nomad609
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd probably do the first one tbh.
Makes no difference though.
Reply 2
Original post by rayquaza17
I'd probably do the first one tbh.
Makes no difference though.

Thank you for your reply, my friend said that you can use the Levi Civita symbol to help solve - although this is possible - it is not represented in cartesian coordiantes right?

Thanks again.
Original post by nomad609
Thank you for your reply, my friend said that you can use the Levi Civita symbol to help solve - although this is possible - it is not represented in cartesian coordiantes right?

Thanks again.

The Levi-Civita symbol is just like a number to help you keep track of positives and negatives when you do the curl, so yeah you can use that here. Levi-Civita doesn't have to be used in cartesian coordinates, but I think some vector identities only hold in cartesian coordinates because we define things like the curl differently in say spherical coordinates.
Reply 4
The Levi-Civita symbol is just like a number to help you keep track of positives and negatives when you do the curl, so yeah you can use that here. Levi-Civita doesn't have to be used in cartesian coordinates, but I think some vector identities only hold in cartesian coordinates because we define things like the curl differently in say spherical coordinates.

Thank you for this post, I understand. ^^
Reply 5

In the OP if we consider the two images together is delta x1 = delta x and delta y1 = delta y and delta z1 = delta z.

Is this just a difference in notation?
Original post by nomad609
In the OP if we consider the two images together is delta x1 = delta x and delta y1 = delta y and delta z1 = delta z.

Is this just a difference in notation?

Yes it's just a difference in notation. :smile:
Reply 7
Yes it's just a difference in notation. :smile:

thank you bro

Quick Reply

Latest