The Student Room Group

Word Classes and English Coursework

I am currently conducting my language investigation into Donald Trump and his attempts to use language to assert his power. I am wanting to analyse the repeated term 'illegal immigrants'', when analysing ''illegal'' in the phrase, would this be classified as a pre-modifier?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by Jamesstanley0
I am currently conducting my language investigation into Donald Trump and his attempts to use language to assert his power. I am wanting to analyse the repeated term 'illegal immigrants'', when analysing ''illegal'' in the phrase, would this be classified as a pre-modifier?

I probably would say it's being used as an intensifier - if you used "illegal" or "immigrant" on it's own - it stands for little meaning but when you say "illegal immigrant" it gives the phrase a whole new meaning and connotation when you think of an "illegal immigrant". so it intensifies the word immigrant so I would call it an intensifier rather than a premodifier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending