The Student Room Group

TITANFALL: Is it just Halo and COD combined?

I like the style and design of TITANFALL, but it seems very similar to other games, and even Horizon Zero Dawn.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

No.
Didn't cod copy the wall run mechanic from the original titanfall?
Original post by cbreef

The developers claim they totally didn't copy and that they came up with the idea for freerunning exoskeleton gameplay two years before Titanfall appeared. It just so happens that there was no mention or reveal of freerunning gameplay in Advanced Warfare until months after Titanfall launched and they didn't provide any evidence that it was an idea that existed earlier than Titanfall, but you should totally take their word it.
So they essentially copied the work of their former employees? Sounds just like Activision if I'm honest.
I'm confused about people randomly comparing fps games to halo nowadays. Everybody I see ranting on facebook pages seems to believe COD has turned into halo with the new freerunning and jumping around even though halo has never had the freerunning or the jumping around and also has no aim down sight and bigger health bars but I digress...

Titanfall isn't comparable to halo at all, the similarities just aren't there unless you really reach and go "THEY'RE BOTH IN THE FUTURE SO THEY'RE CLEARLY THE SAME". It is similar to modern CODs but titanfall did the freerunning thing well before COD did. The random AI grunt dudes running around seem to be pretty unique to the game (as far as AAA fps titles go at any rate) and the titans falling thing isn't really comparable to the other mentioned games either unless you reach like hell.

I guess we do have to bear in mind here I haven't played the most recent Halo and haven't got titanfall 2 yet but I can't imagine they've done extremely drastic shifts in how they work.
Original post by cbreef
So they essentially copied the work of their former employees? Sounds just like Activision if I'm honest.

Pretty much!

Original post by Retired_Messiah
I'm confused about people randomly comparing fps games to halo nowadays. Everybody I see ranting on facebook pages seems to believe COD has turned into halo with the new freerunning and jumping around even though halo has never had the freerunning or the jumping around and also has no aim down sight and bigger health bars but I digress...

Titanfall isn't comparable to halo at all, the similarities just aren't there unless you really reach and go "THEY'RE BOTH IN THE FUTURE SO THEY'RE CLEARLY THE SAME". It is similar to modern CODs but titanfall did the freerunning thing well before COD did. The random AI grunt dudes running around seem to be pretty unique to the game (as far as AAA fps titles go at any rate) and the titans falling thing isn't really comparable to the other mentioned games either unless you reach like hell.

I guess we do have to bear in mind here I haven't played the most recent Halo and haven't got titanfall 2 yet but I can't imagine they've done extremely drastic shifts in how they work.

Halo 5 actually added aim-down-sights to all weapons, rather than just the scoped weapons in like previous entries, and introduced some very rudimentary extra mobility options, notably the ability to clamber over ledges mid-jump. I've disliked the direction 343 have taken Halo in general and they definitely made additions to make it more attractive to COD/BF players, but it's still a distinctly different type of FPS.
goddammit 343 I knew not bothering with 5 was a good idea
Original post by Retired_Messiah
goddammit 343 I knew not bothering with 5 was a good idea

To be fair it was still an enjoyable game, it just makes me sad every time they dilute the classic Halo formula. Halo 3 is the most fun I've ever had with a video game and it's just lost that charm as time goes on.
Original post by cbreef

It's silly to say one Dev copied another because two games have similar mechanics and are released at the same time, as if the Dev cycle is a few weeks and not years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
It's silly to say one Dev copied another because two games have similar mechanics and are released at the same time, as if the Dev cycle is a few weeks and not years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it doesn't take years to implement only that. The folks at respawn (TF's devs) used to work at Infinity Ward too.
Original post by cbreef
But it doesn't take years to implement only that. The folks at respawn (TF's devs) used to work at Infinity Ward too.

Pretty sure core game play features don't tend to get added in at the last minute, especially given basically the whole game front end would need redesigning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest