The Student Room Group

Going to college instead of 6th form

Im in year 12, and honestly, I'm struggling.
I have been working so hard, always using my free periods effectively, and yet I'm getting nowhere.
I got U's in both my biology tests and U's in my maths test. My teachers don't believe that I'm revising.
I honestly don't know if I can carry in. It's so disheartening when you don't get out what you put in.
I don't even want to go to my biology classes anymire because my teacher makes me feel stupid, similarly with maths.
So, I'm thinking of going to college. There is a forensic science course (which is what I wany to go into for a career) which includes psychology, maths, science and photography (all subjects I love(d).) You get 3 a levels at the end also. The course has coursework involved (which is great, because exams seriously stress me out). So, it all sounds pretty good.
But I'm just worried, what if I go and dont like it? I will be leaving all my friends. I am literally over thinking everything.

So, what would you do if you were me? What is college like?
Oh, a quick side note. I have cried (a lot) over stress and not feeling as though Im getting anywhere, and Im pretty sure my teachers don't even care, they just care about numbers and grades.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by chloecrazy
I have been working so hard, always using my free periods effectively, and yet I'm getting nowhere.
I got U's in both my biology tests and U's in my maths test. My teachers don't believe that I'm revising.
I honestly don't know if I can carry in. It's so disheartening when you don't get out what you put in.
I don't even want to go to my biology classes anymire because my teacher makes me feel stupid, similarly with maths.
So, I'm thinking of going to college. There is a forensic science course (which is what I wany to go into for a career) which includes psychology, maths, science and photography (all subjects I love(d).) You get 3 a levels at the end also. The course has coursework involved (which is great, because exams seriously stress me out). So, it all sounds pretty good.
But I'm just worried, what if I go and dont like it? I will be leaving all my friends. I am literally over thinking everything.

Oh, a quick side note. I have cried (a lot) over stress and not feeling as though Im getting anywhere, and Im pretty sure my teachers don't even care, they just care about numbers and grades.

I'm sorry you're having a bad time at the moment. :hugs:

If you're wanting to do forensic science at university, or a similar course, check first that they accept the college course. It sounds as if you like the sound of this course more than what you're doing at the moment. If they don't accept the course, then would it be possible for you to do a levels at college?

I did a levels at college and I really enjoyed it. You'll still be able to see your friends from school, but you'll also get the chance to meet other people at college - including ones who want to do forensic science if you choose to do that course.

I'd really suggest talking to your parents or your tutor at school and explain how you feel and see what they suggest too. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by rayquaza17
I'm sorry you're having a bad time at the moment. :hugs:

If you're wanting to do forensic science at university, or a similar course, check first that they accept the college course. It sounds as if you like the sound of this course more than what you're doing at the moment. If they don't accept the course, then would it be possible for you to do a levels at college?

I did a levels at college and I really enjoyed it. You'll still be able to see your friends from school, but you'll also get the chance to meet other people at college - including ones who want to do forensic science if you choose to do that course.

I'd really suggest talking to your parents or your tutor at school and explain how you feel and see what they suggest too. :smile:

Thank you for replying :smile:

I've looked, and the course can get you onto a number of different university courses, all based around forensics. It all sounds quite good.
The only problem I've got is that the college said ots a bit late to join, which I understand, as the course started in September. I'm going to talk to someone in school (though most teachers are biased towards me staying in 6th form) and see what they suggest.

Thanks again :smile:
If you don't mind me asking, what did you study at college?
Thank you for replying :smile:

I've looked, and the course can get you onto a number of different university courses, all based around forensics. It all sounds quite good.
The only problem I've got is that the college said ots a bit late to join, which I understand, as the course started in September. I'm going to talk to someone in school (though most teachers are biased towards me staying in 6th form) and see what they suggest.

Thanks again :smile:
If you don't mind me asking, what did you study at college?

I did a level maths, further maths, physics, as chemistry. :redface:

You have to research at first wether if the university that you want to go to will accept the course or not. Sixth form isn't really for everybody, if you can do a vocational course and still go where you want then why not choose that.
Original post by rayquaza17
I did a level maths, further maths, physics, as chemistry. :redface:

I hope to choose these next year! :smile:

I can't really answer about going to college but I wouldn't let early low grades put you off at A level because it's completely normal - it's horrible and really disheartening, but almost everyone does badly at first because it's such a huge jump. Is there anyone (maybe a head of year) who you can tell your concerns to? I know in my sixth form our head of year is wonderful and always there to help with problems. If you really find it hard then put your mental health first and go somewhere else, but I know I got a D on an essay in my first term and was devastated, and now I'm on track for an A/A* in that subject

Quick Reply

Latest