The Student Room Group

I really can't afford to pay for the Accommodation

I have been in university for one month now but feels like 3 months already I like the University itself and the course I do have friends inside my course but since all of them lives at home with their parents and have strict rules which I understand from parent stand point so they don’t go out much. Outside the course I live in the university halls and really hate it, I already moved once within the university Accommodation halls but that didn’t made different either I am very lonely, bored to death especially on the weekends not so much during the week since I have work to do but cannot keep doing work all the time I need some balance between my social life and studies I never had social life since moving into university what stress me out even more is that I never have money to to live on in university because most of my student finance goes towards my Accommodation so that leaves me with nothing much to live on I can’t afford the essential s of life not even for course related stuff for university I did went back home that was breath of fresh air and made forget about even living at university.

I do really miss home and have all my friends and family but at university i am lonely to the point of not coming back. I am willing to commute to university next year which is only 2 hour 30mins journey. Since i am on under a contract from the university Accommodation halls the only 3 options I have 1st option: Find a replacement Tenant but that seems like 50/50 even chance. 2nd option To drop out of university that way they will terminate the contract and I can apply to university closer to home for next year but to be honesty I don’t really want to do that since I really like university itself. 3rd Which seems like the only way to is to leave university Accommodation altogether and cancel my direct debit with them change my contact details even my address so they can’t find me I don’t care for credit ratings all that crap since my happiness, well being and studies come first. I have read the contract and the only way to leave the contract correctly are option 1. I have told the student support team and finance adviser at the university but they real not that helpful

I do know it really long but thanks for taking time and reading my story the student room is the only place i can get help.
If don't think living at home is really practical for you as 2 and a half hours is a long commute to do every day. To be more social maybe try joining some societies as your meet new people there and they often do their own socials. For your next year try finding a student house where you may be able to find cheaper rent. If this doesn't work out then see what suitable unis are near year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by venz_93

3rd Which seems like the only way to is to leave university Accommodation altogether and cancel my direct debit with them change my contact details even my address so they can’t find me I don’t care for credit ratings all that crap since my happiness, well being and studies come first.

This isn't an option. First of all...you should care about your credit rating. Yes Happiness, well-being and studies come first...will that come first in 5-10 years when you're applying for a mortgage/Applying to rent a flat? Or are you staying at home forever?

You seem to think that by doing that they'll be absolutely no consequences? That they'll just let you carry on with your course and not say anything? Of course they'll find you. You'll still have a uni email that they can contact you on. You seem to have forgotten they have ways around this..When you applied to the uni you provided emergency contact details.. they'll ring that person. I'm assuming you put down a guarantor..they'll go after them.

Either find a replacement or stick it out and make friends with people who are on campus at the weekend.
Reply 3
Original post by Jackieox
This isn't an option. First of all...you should care about your credit rating. Yes Happiness, well-being and studies come first...will that come first in 5-10 years when you're applying for a mortgage/Applying to rent a flat? Or are you staying at home forever?

You seem to think that by doing that they'll be absolutely no consequences? That they'll just let you carry on with your course and not say anything? Of course they'll find you. You'll still have a uni email that they can contact you on. You seem to have forgotten they have ways around this..When you applied to the uni you provided emergency contact details.. they'll ring that person. I'm assuming you put down a guarantor..they'll go after them.

Either find a replacement or stick it out and make friends with people who are on campus at the weekend.

I already have flat back home where social serivces are paying for my rent and gave me before I went to uni. When i did register with the uni i didn't gvie them a emergency contact and my univeristy accommdation halls don't have guarantor in the contract or anywhere for that matter. Only in the prviate accommdation where they have guarantor. The only thing I do agree with you would they let me carry on with the course? But don't assume things.
Reply 4
Original post by venz_93
3rd Which seems like the only way to is to leave university Accommodation altogether and cancel my direct debit with them change my contact details even my address so they can’t find me

You will always be traceable. You provided your National Insurance number to Student Finance so that when you work, your SF repayments can be deducted from your wages when appropriate. When you claim benefits, those also go via your NI record. You probably ticked the box which permits SF to share your information with third parties (that's how your uni knows you're eligible for a low income bursary), so everything that SF knows will be available to your uni. SF will liaise with any future employer, so your contact details will be available via that route This applies now and in the future.

The only ways of 'disappearing' as far as your uni debt is concerned, is to move abroad, never work legitimately (cash in hand jobs only, never paying tax or NI) and/or never claiming benefits. As you're already reliant on Social Services for your home accommodation, this last is already not an option unless you give up your home and don't get anything similar in future.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
You will always be traceable. You provided your National Insurance number to Student Finance so that when you work, your SF repayments can be deducted from your wages when appropriate. When you claim benefits, those also go via your NI record. You probably ticked the box which permits SF to share your information with third parties (that's how your uni knows you're eligible for a low income bursary), so everything that SF knows will be available to your uni. SF will liaise with any future employer, so your contact details will be available via that route This applies now and in the future.

The only ways of 'disappearing' as far as your uni debt is concerned, is to move abroad, never work legitimately (cash in hand jobs only, never paying tax or NI) and/or never claiming benefits. As you're already reliant on Social Services for your home accommodation, this last is already not an option unless you give up your home and don't get anything similar in future.

I totally understand where you coming from.
Well to start with you can't just leave and expect that to be that. You should have a guarantor who will also be liable. The halls WILL pursue you for the money legally. Also, most universities do not allow anyone to progress/graduate with outstanding debts so they could halt your studies if you don't pay.

I'm pretty sure dropping out doesn't preclude you from paying your accommodation contract.

I think it's much better to wait out the year and do your best to improve the situation you have, if you can't make sure the action you take is legal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending