The Student Room Group

Offers from UCL, Durham, Manchester or Nottingham with Access to HE in Business?

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Your GCSEs are pretty good imo, and there is a member who went to Durham with an engineering Btech, and then did a foundation course at the uni itself. He did well at Durham too. I hope he posts on your thread.
Reply 2
Original post by Wisefire
That Durham Foundation Year I know is only open to people who are out of education and do not have many if any qualifications. His BTEC could possibly get him straight onto an undergraduate degree. But anyway, I'm discussing an Access to Higher Education Diploma here, not BTECs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why don't you try LSE? They do a test for people who want to apply but do other qualifications apart from A Levels (including Access Diploma)

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/UGAA.aspx
No, I know which degrees at which universities I would be happy with. LSE is most definitely out of reach using an Access course. I wouldn't dare waste one of my choices on something rather unattainable imo with this inferior qualification.

I'm curious about your reasoning here. OK, so LSE have a reputation for being very focused on academics. However, the Management course specifically states it welcomes applications from those with non-standard qualification and - as pointed out above - LSE have a specific mechanism to test such applicants. If they weren't interested in accepting students like yourself, they wouldn't bother, would they?
Reply 4
But that particular Management degree at LSE, which I have in the past checked out and so am aware of, is probably a considerably more competitive course in terms of admissions compared to Nottingham or Manchester despite it also apparently requiring 30 Distinctions from an Access course. I also suggested I would rather go to UCL. I don't personally have faith in an Access course gaining me an offer from LSE. It's too high risk.

I am likelier to get an offer from Manchester or Nottingham than from LSE through an Access course. I would state that from my experience and I think others working in education would from their experiences probably agree with that. I would definitely be pretty glad to go to Manchester or Nottingham for an undergraduate at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are missing @ageshallnot's point: LSE would not say it offers places to mature/non-standard applicants if it wasn't true. That would completely waste their time, and that of potential applicants.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/management.aspx

It would be just one of your 5 choices so there's no risk at all; nothing to lose, and perhaps, plenty to gain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
You are missing @ageshallnot's point: LSE would not say it offers places to mature/non-standard applicants if it wasn't true. That would completely waste their time, and that of potential applicants.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/management.aspx

It would be just one of in your 5 choices so there's no risk at all; nothing to lose, and perhaps, plenty to gain.

Precisely. And I echo your point about it being one of five choices.
Reply 6
No, I know which degrees at which universities I would be happy with. LSE is most definitely out of reach using an Access course. I wouldn't dare waste one of my choices on something rather unattainable imo with this inferior qualification.

The point of this thread is about receiving responses from anyone out there who has gotten to great universities for competitive degree courses following an Access course.

Just saying as an LSE student and what I know from the uni guidelines.
Reply 7
Chin up mate. I'm at UCL studying Management Science BSc and have seen numerous people on a course called 'IMB' with access diplomas and they're mature students. So just apply, give it a go!

HOWEVER, APPLY EARLY. THAT'S THE KEY.
Reply 8
Original post by Aran2121
HOWEVER, APPLY EARLY. THAT'S THE KEY.

Makes no difference. Universities MUST give equal consideration to any application received by the Jan 15th deadline.
Reply 9
Yes, that was also on my mind as surely being the case. I contacted UCL however and a man from its Admissions named Thomas I think did suggest at one point to send the application sooner rather than later. I might be wrong and that might suggest the wrong things though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Your application needs to be with us by 18:00 (UK time) on 15 January to guarantee it’ll get equal consideration by the unis or colleges you’re applying to. If you apply after this deadline, the unis you’re applying to don’t have to consider your application."
Well I got my offer in November some time for Management Science.. so UP to you
Sure, thanks :smile: I'm simply monumentally anxious about getting myself to a satisfying next academic stage, so I'm sorry if some angst rubbed off through my earlier words. I desperately badly want the best for myself and to be at a good university, due to a quite awful past I have behind me. I know A-Levels would give me access to more university courses and so possibly a stronger future.
I wish to very much alter my life. Altering it greatly takes hard work on my part. I don't have the means/money to do new A-Levels anymore, as someone aged around 20. The Access course is the more accessible option. I only fear it's not enough to get me to the types of universities I want to go to. I have to now sit down and focus on getting Distinctions on it.

I could always self-teach A-Levels, or do them intensively in one academic year next September at Westminster Kingsway College for free. If my Access course fails to get me offers I want I will quit it and attempt new A-Levels in one year at WKC next September. I would obviously start work on new A-Levels come February or March 2017 when I shall know if the work I've done on my Access course has been enough to get me offers I want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

cool :smile:

My advice to you would be to just do A-Levels so you will feel and have a strong
enough academic background to get into your university choices. Your GCSEs
are strong so that shouldn't be a problem for LSE etc. if you get A's
for your A-Levels too. I'd say you by doing A-Levels you would feel less anxious
and more comfortable with uni material and with the people on the course.

As for fees you could pay for them in instalments, my brother so when he was at city academy for his A-Levels,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending